Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thing I'll be waiting for a turbo. Unless there are options that make it more appealing. I just stopped by and picked up a brochure to compare the options.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yeah that's what sucks...no manual and turbo, although my old car was pretty much the turbo with awd (and worse gas mileage).

·
Registered
232 Posts
How about a review of the manual transmission (from an actual owner)? How is the interaction between gear changes and the engine electronics?
For example, one online review talked about throttle dampening between shifts and stated the manual should be slower but in tests it was shown to be faster.

·
Registered
35 Posts
QUOTE (Shoot2Thrill @ May 6 2010, 12:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320215
How about a review of the manual transmission (from an actual owner)? How is the interaction between gear changes and the engine electronics?
For example, one online review talked about throttle dampening between shifts and stated the manual should be slower but in tests it was shown to be faster.
I would by no means consider my opinion to be a review, but here's what I have noticed about my manual trans GLS. The clutch point is VERY high compared to other vehicles I've driven. Overall it's pretty difficult to get used to, especially since I've driven many manual transmission vehicles over the years. Yes the throttle does indeed dampen between shifts, but I think the clutch point has something to do with it...maybe I'm wrong...who knows. When I tested the Limited, it seemed to lag between gears compared to the manual transmission. It doesn't quite accelerate as fast as my girlfriends 06 Audi A4 2.0T, but it's close believe it or not. I can guarantee that the turbo version of the Sonata will be pretty amazing and will get tons of business coming from previous BMW or Audi owners.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yeah I don't think my opinion would be very valuable. My old car was a Mazdaspeed6...I find the throw a little long on the Sonata, and my brother thought that 5th and 6th were too much to the right. But it's a lot easier to shift smoothly on the Sonata and the clutch grab point is a lot more forgiving. For some reason, I feel that this is similar to my brother's Altima coupe (shifter and clutch), but he thought that the shifter was more stiff.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am not exactly sure what you mean by dampening, but I don't step on the gas when I shift up so I can't really tell if throttle response is dampened during gear changes. When I double-clutch or just plain rev-match while downshifting, there doesn't really seem to be any difference in the throttle response.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Cool, friend just linked me to this article.

"Through the end of March, Hyundai sold roughly 31,000 examples of its 2011 Sonata -- but only 23 were equipped with manual transmissions."

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks, for the updates. I'm sure Hyundai's manual numbers are better now for manual transmission sales despite despite the fact that they negatively promote the manual transmission by having no options available on the GLS and not available on the SE. At the into they did not make a lot of manuals. I have found 4 at local dealers without trying which is about 4 times better than the Toyota Camry 6 speed manual availability and they sell a manual about 1 in 100 with similar negative marketing.
Many automatic transmission buyers think it has paddles it is the same as the twin clutch Audi/BMW/WV/Ferrari etc... transmission.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My friend got an Auto GLS a few weeks before I got my manual (Silver with Gray interior), I didn't like the way the automatic shifted, it only revs to 6k when it shifts at WOT and since the 198 rated hp comes in at 6300 that sucks. The paddles in the auto is a joke, it's not a Ferrari or a Porsche with a sequential, it's not a computer controlled clutch shifter. It's just a normal torque converter automatic with paddles that try to tell the computer what you want to do. As in most 'auto stick' cars it just shifts for you anyway, it gives you VERY little control beyond just keeping it in drive.

The shifter, and clutch aren't too bad. However the throttle dampening thing is horrible. It makes it extremely difficult to perform smooth shifts. I'm sure with lots of practice I'll be able to shift it smooth most of the time. The clutch point is very high, I agree, it takes a lot of getting used to. But the manual overall is a good manual dispute the problems with the throttle automatically lifting between shifts. I haven't tried to power shift it without lifting the throttle but I'd imagine if it were possible you could make some quick times. Otherwise the car unloads too much between shifts and to me it seems like it would really hurt your times.

If you are thinking about getting a manual don't be discouraged, it's not that bad, it's still a nice transmission, smooth shifter and stuff. Just remember it's going to require a massive learning curve. I've found that if I use more clutch action instead of throttle action in the shifts it's a lot easier but I don't know what that will do for the longevity of the clutch.

I with they sold an SE manual though. I'd like to get some rims, but I'm not really a rim guy so I have no idea what would look good....

QUOTE (BoomerK6 @ May 6 2010, 01:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320256
I would by no means consider my opinion to be a review, but here's what I have noticed about my manual trans GLS. The clutch point is VERY high compared to other vehicles I've driven. Overall it's pretty difficult to get used to, especially since I've driven many manual transmission vehicles over the years. Yes the throttle does indeed dampen between shifts, but I think the clutch point has something to do with it...maybe I'm wrong...who knows. When I tested the Limited, it seemed to lag between gears compared to the manual transmission. It doesn't quite accelerate as fast as my girlfriends 06 Audi A4 2.0T, but it's close believe it or not. I can guarantee that the turbo version of the Sonata will be pretty amazing and will get tons of business coming from previous BMW or Audi owners.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Good info!
Just to help me understand the throttle damping Is it a computer controlled function which de-rates the accelerator pedal input for some time period at every shift?

If that is true, maybe would seem the main intent is save the clutch/transmission/trans-axle

Just guessing, and so to help me understand a trick would be to accelerate hard in the low gear then up shift let off let the delay occur and then get back on it after the delay. But as you said that would really be a learning exercise.

On the downshift side, I guess it makes the drop back two and punch it depressing since although you will be at high revs you will have a dampening to redline and the additional delay when you up shift at the upper end.

On a tangent:
I wonder how the computer knows to dampen the throttle? First guess might be when you step on the clutch the throttle is dampened. Might it be a simple switch. Like the same switch used for start up. Could it be bypassed? Alternatively, great application for a computer piggyback. However, the production numbers don't make a good case for market support.

Tirerack.com and discount tire .com can set you up with a nice set of 18" rims which might be surprising effective at bringing the GLS right up to the SE. The SE spring rates are about 10% higher as best I can figure and a number of people find the SE harsh so 10% under might be "just right".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts