Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've done some digging here (with no result so far) & I'm not 100% sold on the idea, either - at present it's a temptation if do-able, nothing more.

Does anybody know of a 6 spd that will bolt up to this car? Of course I'm looking for longer legs for interstate speeds, & potentially even better mileage across the board. The 5 spd is fine for what will most likely be 90% of my car's mileage, but I'm curious.

Is there a bolt-in option, from a later model maybe.

This is a popular upgrade for e30 BMWs, especially for those who also go with newer engines & it can really make the car. More to the point, they bolt right in. There are adjustments that have to be made here & there with shifter angles & cross members & the like, but they're all well developed & well known - so much so that you can get under the car with everything required & just bolt it in - easy peasy.

All e30s were built during our dread double-nickel years, & North American examples were geared for decent mileage at 55 to 60 mph. At 75 to 80, or fast enough to MAYBE not get run over at interstate speeds, they suck fuel like a poorly tuned 60s muscle car. Dropping engine RPM @ speed to 2500 or so really helps.

I haven't driven the Accent much, but the little freak's geared like a tractor. I'm thinking that one more gear could be handy for the occasional run through the rapids of 275 in a car that others can't seem to resist tailgating.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I doubt it, but this company is selling an aftermarket tall final gear ratio set for Hyundais, which should accomplish the same thing I think you want to accomplish although it's intended for tuned cars since there would probably be a trade-off in acceleration performance in lower gears.

Tall Final Gear Ratio Set - 3.65 - Shark Racing

I'd suggest contacting them to make sure it will fit the Accent's transmission though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks much. Doing a junk yard round-robin today - looking for a donor car w/ AC, & will check both mentions when I stop for lunch or maybe later in the day.

Thanks Again

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
I've always wondered if the RB 6 speed would bolt up to my 2008.

I have an automatic. Is it even doable?

I did it backwards: the Scion has the 5-speed, and the Accent has the AT. While I like the transmission in the Accent, it would be nice to be able to pick a gear myself.

Of course, doing that in the Scion, with 60 more horses sure is a lot of fun!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the unit you have was an option for your car, it's bolt-in do-able. An Allison's auto from a Kenworth is do-able, too - how much fabrication are you up for?

I'll be sticking with the manual, whatever I learn about Hyundai 6 spds & interchangeability.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The closest I've come to actual information so far is an eBay seller with a selection applet. He's listing a 6 spd for a Hyundai Accent. Run the applet to select the year & the result is "this item doesn't fit your car". Then there's a button for parts that allegedly WILL fit the car, & that barfs out a listing of what appears to be every car part ever made for every car ever made, ever.

Six speeds don't fit e30 BMWs, either, until they do. They bolt right up to older engines, that's not the issue. All BMW 6 spds were made for M50 & above engines that slant an additional 10 degrees to starboard, & of course 6 spd tranny's are one gear-set longer. The fix for those retaining their original engine is some shifter work to bring the stick back to center, an X-member crossmember for the tailshaft (that bolts right up to mount positions that are already there for iX drivelines), & a driveshaft from any e30 w/ an automatic - or, just cut down what you've got.

Most BMW 6 spds are 1:1 in 5th with just one overdrive gear, so a final drive ratio adjustment is usually required as well. I know of only one that's a double OD, & with that one you get your cake without having to mess with the rear gear. Those who replace their baby sixes with newer M50 or above engines need not bother with the shifter work.

I'm expecting a 6 spd swap on the Hyundai to be about the same. A little more involved than hanging fuzzy dice, but not much. I'm hoping that somebody who's had these drivelines out on a bench can weigh in.

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts