Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
If anything you extended the life of your car! They both give the same protection starting cold...30 is slightly thicker when hot. The EPA wants you to use 20 to save a tiny amount of gas. Also, a full synthetic is more stable...hopefully you have been using it!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If anything you extended the life of your car! They both give the same protection starting cold...30 is slightly thicker when hot. The EPA wants you to use 20 to save a tiny amount of gas. Also, a full synthetic is more stable...hopefully you have been using it!
yes i only buy Mobil 1 full synthetic

·
Registered
2017 Sonata 2.4GDI Limited, Tech Package, 32,000 miles
1,063 Posts
If anything you extended the life of your car!
Prove it. Where is your data? I went from 5W-20 to 5W-30, but not from any proof, only unfounded, "I think it's better and I need to sleep at night cause this Hyundai engine might blow up." But that's the nature of marketing in oil town, no data, no transparency, just hype.

The EPA wants you to use 20 to save a tiny amount of gas.
No, the EPA wants everyone to save a little gas so that we can save millions of gallons collectively. That's not a bad thing.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Some 2.4L engines have shown to have lower oil consumption with 5W30 as compared to 5W20, mine included. And per the 2015 owners manual in mine, either are perfectly acceptable in the 2.4L engine.

Font Material property Parallel Number Document

·
Registered
357 Posts
Prove it. Where is your data? I went from 5W-20 to 5W-30, but not from any proof, only unfounded, "I think it's better and I need to sleep at night cause this Hyundai engine might blow up." But that's the nature of marketing in oil town, no data, no transparency, just hype.

No, the EPA wants everyone to save a little gas so that we can save millions of gallons collectively. That's not a bad thing.

Good to ask the questions , looking at oil performance profile charts 20 grades are good they ace the fuel economy but can take a backwards step on anti wear.

A mechanical engineer tested 200+ oils and found
Font Number

·
Registered
1,063 Posts

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Go back to school and study your English, I made NO definite statement.

Reactions: milanz

·
Registered
1,063 Posts

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
SAE papers cover HTHS and MOFT. HTHS protects your engine and a 30 grade will usually be higher than a 20 grade.

No mechanical engineer tested anything repeatable concerning grades.

Certain driving patterns, with the 2.0T/2.4GDI lead to excessive fuel in the oil. Change it out more frequently or get a UOA and understand your driving pattern.

SAE J300 covers the oil grades since most here don't have a clue.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
What's the exclamation point for - nothing definite?
For the OP's peace of mind. It's too bad it offends your anal retentiveness.

Reactions: milanz

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
what is the difference?
Not a whole lot. 5w30 is about 20% more viscous then 5w20 at operating temperature.
30 wt oil maintains a slightly thicker oil film between metal parts, like cam to lifter or ring to cylinder wall.
That makes the oil more likely to prevent excessive wear in harsh conditions, all else being equal.
Higher grades of synthetic oil can prevent wear with thinner films, making possible 0w-16 for example.

The higher viscosity takes 20% more energy to pump the oil and swirl it around in bearings etc.
But those losses are pretty small to begin with, so 1% or less drop in gas mileage.
My Tucson gets 5w30 and I easily beat the EPA mileage #s.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
"Don't let the same dog bite you twice." - Chuck Berry. Butt, it could get you in both cheeks! :oops:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts