Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Here's what my manual actually says: " For good fuel economy,SAE 5W-20 (5W-30) ILSAC GF-3 engine oil is preferred, REGARDLESS of regional option and engine variation.
If SAE 5W-20 is not available, a secondary recommended engine oil for corresponding temperature can be used"

So, my take is, they would prefer that I use 5W-20, but are okay with the 5W-30 too, but they refer to it as "secondary".

·
3,736 Posts
AccentJM - 10W30's mainly going to be a concern during very cold temperatures at startup.  The manual shows 10W30 *is* usable from 0F on up though, if the temps dip below 0F you need to run 5W20 or 30.  If you're not seeing temps routinely around 0 you're probably OK to run it... But I would personally rather just use 5 weight for those first few minutes in the morning. *shrug*

At any rate, if you do have problems that stem from their oil selection, it's the dealers fault for putting in 10w30 so I would think THEY should be the ones who have to fix your engine if it blows up. :thumbsup:

And Hako, the preferred / secondary thing is about what I get out of what it says in the manual too...  

·
Banned
209 Posts
Well here at our dealer, We Use 5w20 in all cars that Hyundai tells us to
use it in! There is a reason that oil caps say 5W20..If it says it we use it.

Shawn

·
Registered
114 Posts
Dealers couldn't give a rats behind about what kind of oil they fill up your sump with. They buy in bulk from the cheapest supplier they can. With today's conventional oils being so good (SM rated), you can pretty much use any brand and be assured of proper engine lubrication. Just make sure the oil has the API starburst seal of approval, change your oil regularly, use the proper viscosity for your temperature conditions and you're good to go.

·
Registered
51 Posts
QUOTE (Komptek @ Apr 10 2009, 09:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=228074
Very true, after reading up on our motors and the fact my car will never see anything below -5c from now on I'll be switching to a 10w30
I guess you don't drive it in the winter ;) ... When I was growing up in Fort Mac, we'd regularly see -50 degrees Celsius!

·
Registered
51 Posts
http://www.vtr.org/maintain/oil-overview.shtml

After reading this ten years ago. I switched to full synthetics, Mobil 1 and Amsoil only, and have never looked back. My Mazda 626 has 150,000 KM on it and has never seen a shop (well, for the engine... brakes and stuff just wear out). I know that isn't a lot, but when I change the oil, to this day, I have almost no oil loss from the last change (~50ML), the oil is dark brown (not black), and valve train still looks brand new.

These are also an interesting reads on Synthetics (and oil in general):

http://www.minimania.com/web/DisplayID/192...on/ArticleV.cfm

http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/fuseact...6486.cfm#106486

Personally, I wouldn't put anything heavier than 5w20 in our cars (unless you live in Arizona or similarly hot climate), and nothing less than a full synthetic by either Mobil 1 or Amsoil.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Here through Hyundai partnership with QuakerState,Dealership installs 5w20 and QuakerState warranties any moving engine parts for 250,000 miles as long as it changed within every 4,000 miles.At $108 dollars for 8 oil changes I guess I'll stick with that.

·
Registered
527 Posts
QUOTE (hoosieraccent @ Apr 13 2009, 05:37 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=228453
That's a steal, $13.50 each???!!  Heck, the local dealer charges me $9.something just for the filter.

Sounds like you should stick with it! :)
Yea now I just hope the nearest dealership honors the contract as my local one just closed last Monday due to the economy.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
QUOTE (Tango2Go @ Apr 12 2009, 02:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=228450
Here through Hyundai partnership with QuakerState,Dealership installs 5w20 and QuakerState warranties any moving engine parts for 250,000 miles as long as it changed within every 4,000 miles.At $108 dollars for 8 oil changes I guess I'll stick with that.
$108 divide by 8 oil changes of 4 quarts each change. (108/8)/4=$3.38 per quart/liter Not bad of a price. But how about this.

$6.80 per quart/liter $6.80 times 4 quarts per change, times 4 oil changes since you can go 7,500 miles. equals $108.80, so it's the same price but you are doing 1/2 of the oil changes and so you get more time to enjoy your ride and you add less to the environment.

Now if you switch to say the next Hyundai recommended oil type 10w30. you would do the following calculation. $8.70 per quart, times 4 quarts per change, times 1 since you only do an oil change every 25,000 miles. That's $34.80 versus 6 of your oil changes (4000 * 6 = 24,000 miles) would be 108/8*6 = $81.00. So that would be a savings of $46.20.

Just thought I'd pass this on.

A

·
0 Posts
im gettin 4 qts of Royal Purple full snyth tomorrow my thinks actually.....im an RP fan :)..that shizz works good :)..ive seen dyno proven results..im expecting UP TO/ABOUT a 5 hp gain

21 - 40 of 47 Posts