Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a five speed tibby 99 FX no reverse I tried removing the clips n rods from the side of the transmission and manually pull up and pulling back into reverse but it feels like it's jammed. I don't really hear too often a manual transmission going bad I know with the clutch not pushed in n running if you just try to put it in gear you can hear some mechanism turning in there like it's driving a gear somewhere. Keep in mind it's not a grinding noise. All other gears work just fine. It popped out of reverse on me yesterday. Since then I haven't been able to get it back in. Like I said I tried to manually pull into reverse and it feels like something stopping I would think if you burn the gear or something You would hear a grinding noise when it was in gear or just slip any ideas?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
check the shift cables and the bushings on the end. to put it in a gear by hand, you may have to lift the lever on the trans and then move it.

beyond that yeah bad trans. just because its not common doesn't mean it doesn't happen. did to me could years ago :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If that's what I tried to do pull up towards the hood and then pulled towards the driver side just doesn't click into place does the other way into 5th. If it is the transmission is it even worth putting a transmission in one. seeing as I don't have the know how to do it it would have to go to a shop

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Likely an internal trans concern, as all the other gear choices is there.. just missing reverse.

Pull the trans, open the main case, should be obvious what the trouble is,,, as reverse is a 3 gear function with 1 gear each for drive, driven, and idler that moved into place to mesh the drive & driven gears to make the box rotate backward..

Parts should all still be available from Hyundai Motor via local Hyundai dealer parts counter (of course they going to be special order parts).

I have 2 Elantra boxes at home,, 1 needs synchro on a gear, other has bearing whine, been sitting some 6-7yr now..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got an update... So I got it into reverse. Works fine sitting but on an incline it gets stuck in reverse. Couldn't even pry it loose with a big bar. When I gases it n it was level it came out. This makes no sense as in reverse its not grinding or anything like that. Any input on that? Seems odd lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts