Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2017 Sonata Sport 2.4L at 12.3K miles and I am uncertain which service interval to follow.

I've always follow the 5K oil change and service interval for the two Toyotas my family owns.

Based on the service log, the interval is 7.5K for the Sonata and I've been trying to follow that. However, today I was curious so I pulled out the oil dip-stick to check and the oil level is below the "low" mark (pictures through link). I pulled the dip-stick multiple times to make sure and the oil level was always consistently below the "low" level.

Link: https://imgur.com/a/EDy89oL

Which leads to my question, what service interval are you guys following or recommend?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Get a quart in that right away!

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I don't do a lot of city driving and I'm on the highway a least once a week and I change at 5K miles with 5W-30 full synthetic.
Get some oil in your machine! :eek:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't do a lot of city driving and I'm on the highway a least once a week and I change at 5K miles with 5W-30 full synthetic.
Get some oil in your machine! :eek:
Should I just go for an oil change and service now?

And to my original question: it seems like I should do it every 5K?

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Should I just go for an oil change and service now?

And to my original question: it seems like I should do it every 5K?
If you can't get it done today...pls put a quart in it!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
You should top off your oil NOW.

Owners manual stats to check oil level AT EVERY FUEL FILL UP.

I am severe service..... this forces me to change the oil every 6 months or 3750 miles, whichever comes 1st.

How many mils do you drive a year? what oil grade/type are you using?

In the never ending quest to increase MPG, the automakers created thin oil using oil burners. This will lead to engine death. The earlier gen YF Sonata is full of engine failures, most not admitting to sludge or no oil. Looks like the typical consumer will run the YF just as poorly.

The severe service interval is what I recommend, depending on driving conditions, oil grade/type, and vehicle expectations(lease/own).

Reactions: teezythakidd

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
something is not right, it shouldn't be burning that much oil
I was surprised when I pulled out the dip-stick too. I've scheduled an appointment for oil change and service with the dealership but it won't be until this upcoming Wednesday.

I'll speak to them about how fast the oil is burning as well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You should top off your oil NOW.

Owners manual stats to check oil level AT EVERY FUEL FILL UP.

I am severe service..... this forces me to change the oil every 6 months or 3750 miles, whichever comes 1st.

How many mils do you drive a year? what oil grade/type are you using?

In the never ending quest to increase MPG, the automakers created thin oil using oil burners. This will lead to engine death. The earlier gen YF Sonata is full of engine failures, most not admitting to sludge or no oil. Looks like the typical consumer will run the YF just as poorly.

The severe service interval is what I recommend, depending on driving conditions, oil grade/type, and vehicle expectations(lease/own).
Thanks for mentioning checking oil at every fuel fill up. Never done before but will definitely start doing that now.

I drive around 12K a year. And I went to a independent shop that I trust for my first 7.5K service since I bought the car new so I assume they follow the recommended oil grade/type.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you can't get it done today...pls put a quart in it!
I went to a shop I trust to have my oil changed and car serviced at 7.5K. I am unsure if they used 5W-30 or 5W-20(stated on the oil cap of the car).

Which oil type should I get and is there a brand you recommend?

I've also scheduled a service with my dealership for this upcoming Wednesday so I will get my oil changed and car serviced then.

And as mentioned by another user, the car shouldn't be burning that much oil right?

·
Registered
122 Posts
In my opinion, unless the mechanic is doing funny business during the oil changes or there is some defect or part failure in your particular engine, checking the oil at every fill up is something out of the 1950s Buick playbook. While oils are getting thinner, it is because engines are now designed to run tighter and smoother and more efficiently than before.

For oil changes i go to the dealer, if nothing more than just for the records in case i have warranty work done later. but burning 3 quarts of oil in 5,000 miles...it makes no sense because you'll run out of oil before the next interval

have you checked for leaks under the car?

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I went to a shop I trust to have my oil changed and car serviced at 7.5K. I am unsure if they used 5W-30 or 5W-20(stated on the oil cap of the car).

Which oil type should I get and is there a brand you recommend?

I've also scheduled a service with my dealership for this upcoming Wednesday so I will get my oil changed and car serviced then.

And as mentioned by another user, the car shouldn't be burning that much oil right?
I would put in a name brand (Mobil-One, Penns, QS, Valvoline, Havolin) 5W-30 full synthetic or a blend 5W-30 if you want to save a little.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In my opinion, unless the mechanic is doing funny business during the oil changes or there is some defect or part failure in your particular engine, checking the oil at every fill up is something out of the 1950s Buick playbook. While oils are getting thinner, it is because engines are now designed to run tighter and smoother and more efficiently than before.

For oil changes i go to the dealer, if nothing more than just for the records in case i have warranty work done later. but burning 3 quarts of oil in 5,000 miles...it makes no sense because you'll run out of oil before the next interval

have you checked for leaks under the car?
I've been at the mechanic's shop for years so I will give his shop the benefit of the doubt.

If there are leaks, would I just see a puddle of liquid or some stains on the ground where the car was parked? Or do I actually have to look under the car?

I don't see any residue or stains of liquid on the floor when the car is moved out of its parking spot so that's why I was not aware of the engine oil issue.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would put in a name brand (Mobil-One, Penns, QS, Valvoline, Havolin) 5W-30 full synthetic or a blend 5W-30 if you want to save a little.
Out of curiosity, let's say the mechanic put in 5W-20 as stated on the oil cap, can I just buy a quart of 5W-30 from, say Autozone, and just pour it in for the time being until I can get my car serviced at the dealer in two days?

Would that damage the engine?

Thanks a lot for your help.

·
Registered
122 Posts
after you drive the car and park it, put cardboard underneath the front of the car. If there is any leak, you'll see it on the cardboard after awhile. Could just be an inoccent error on the mechanic's part like a loose oil filter or something.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
You can top off the oil with whatever oil you want. With oil burners, I commonly top off with very thick oil, like 5w40 or 5w40. Some, but not all engines, responds to thicker oils. And, any grades/types of oil can be mixed. Mixing compatibility a SAE/ILSAC/API requiremnt. So, never fear mixing grades/types/brands.

Since you drive 12k miles a year, I would recommend ANY 5w30 SN/GF5 oil changed every 6 months.
So, you will be changing the oil every ~6000 miles which is not a environmental or financial burden, and is less than the 7500 mile requirement.
But, you have proved to yourself that you have an oil burner. So, learn the burn rate and top off as needed(8 ounces a month or whatever). Check the oil level weekly until you learn the burn rate.
Keep oil level to the full line, when parked on a flat surface, when engine is hot, about 5 minutes after shutting off engine. Its covered in the owners manual on how to check the oil.

I don't care to argue about brands or types of oil. SN/GF5 is the current USA spec.... soon to be upgraded. Whether you use conventional, blend, synthetic, in whatever fancy or generic brand, is for you to decide. I only recommend 5w30 or 10w30 for the 2.4GDI. I don't think that the 5w20 grade, for best MPG, does anything good for our theta-ii nightmare. I only use and recommend synthetic oil but it is not a requirement.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,601 Posts
That is very low and needs to be topped off before you drive any more IMO.

I have the 2017 2.0T and drive about 30,000 + a year. I change every 5000 miles with Mobil 1 , I currently have 40,000+ miles on the car and I have never had to add oil between changes.

heck your car for a leak or have the dealer of shop you use check for oil burning (consumption) IMO adding even a full qt every 5000 miles is using more than it should. The last 5 cars Ive owned Ive never added oil between changes. I have a 95 Jeep and 2001 E350 Ford that barely get to the add a qt level by 5000 miles

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
let's say the mechanic put in 5W-20 as stated on the oil cap, can I just buy a quart of 5W-30 from, say Autozone, and just pour it in for the time being until I can get my car serviced at the dealer in two days?

Would that damage the engine?

Thanks a lot for your help.
As stated, that would be fine for now!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Did you last change your oil at 10K, and now at 12.3 K you are at the L?

If you want to look on the bright side, perhaps your mechanic did not top up at the last oil change. Did you check oil level after oil change? I always did just to be sure it's not too high or too low.

On the not so bright side, if you burned one quart in 2.3K miles, then you will have to live with it if it until you burn more than 1 qrt per 1K miles. That is the industry standard for USA before warranty does anything useful.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did you last change your oil at 10K, and now at 12.3 K you are at the L?

If you want to look on the bright side, perhaps your mechanic did not top up at the last oil change. Did you check oil level after oil change? I always did just to be sure it's not too high or too low.

On the not so bright side, if you burned one quart in 2.3K miles, then you will have to live with it if it until you burn more than 1 qrt per 1K miles. That is the industry standard for USA before warranty does anything useful.
The oil change was done when the car got to 7.5K. Now it is at 12.3 so it's been 4.8K miles.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts