Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Looking for some help hooking up a 5-way wiring connector on my '09 Santa Fe SE AWD to use with my boat trailer. Specifically, what's the best spot to tie in to the reverse light wire. For those not familiar, some trailers (like mine) have disc surge brakes that require a 12 volt signal to activate a solenoid that allows the discs to freewheel when moving in reverse.

Santy came with a factory hitch and 4-way harness installed, just need to pick up the reverse wire and replace the flat-4 with a flat-5. Thanks.

BobP67

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Can't say offhand which wire it is, but if you pop out the left tail light assembly you should be able to easily isolate the reverse light wire using a tester. Simply remove the visible bolts with the hatch open, and jiggle the entire unit out of its clips. It takes a bit of patience but is not too difficult. Once you've identified the wire you should be able to splice into it through the access panel inside the trunk, although I haven't done this myself.

Presumably the solenoid draws very low current so you shouldn't have a problem, but you might want to have a spare fuse on hand when you test it.

PS: If you haven't done so already, get yourself an account at hmaservice.com for access to wiring diagrams, service bulletins and other useful stuff. Look under Santa Fe "CM".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Don67,

Should be easy enough to splice at the light fixture itself, where the connection won't be exposed to the elements. You're right, the current draw is minimal. Thanks for the reply.

BobP67

QUOTE (Don67 @ May 7 2010, 03:33 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320503
Can't say offhand which wire it is, but if you pop out the left tail light assembly you should be able to easily isolate the reverse light wire using a tester. Simply remove the visible bolts with the hatch open, and jiggle the entire unit out of its clips. It takes a bit of patience but is not too difficult. Once you've identified the wire you should be able to splice into it through the access panel inside the trunk, although I haven't done this myself.

Presumably the solenoid draws very low current so you shouldn't have a problem, but you might want to have a spare fuse on hand when you test it.

PS: If you haven't done so already, get yourself an account at hmaservice.com for access to wiring diagrams, service bulletins and other useful stuff. Look under Santa Fe "CM".

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just did the 4-flat to 5-flat upgrade. I didn't feel like undoing all the wires for the 4-flat, so I just ran a single wire to the reverse light and taped it to the 4-flat. It's a two for one the cheap way, can go 5 or 4 flat. It was bit of running the wire through the rear hatch door from the reverse light wire, down through the body and out the buttom behind the rear tire. I love all the little holes in the metal body with rubber plugs. I used the old metal nut on a string to run the line :banana: All in all, a clean job!

·
Registered
90 Posts
You can't just tap any wire that has 12v when the reverse light is on, as the polarity changes if the brakes are pressed.

Don't know why they made it this way, or why a 2 wire circuit needs 4 wires that change state but..

With the hatch UP, and the cover removed, the wire is the 2cd wire in on the connector from the bottom edge of the hatch, do NOT use the ground you find here, use a frame ground. (Just for those that are adding something else).

Verify your wiring with a tester with the vehicle in park/drive, reverse and with and without the brakes applied.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts