Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should we use fuel injector cleaner on such a new car?
How often/What frequency should we add this to our gas?
What's a good brand?
Is it worth it or is it just hype?
Will it do more harm than good?

·
Banned
630 Posts
the days of fuel injector cleaners ruining your gas tank or the float inside are gone

the BEST fuel injector cleaner is hands down made by Chevron. It's called Techron. Use it on empty, every 3000 miles. Obviously if we had Chevron gas in NY, this wouldn''t be necessary because chevron gas has techron built in.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I use it in my Jeep every time I change the oil. Heck I use Mystery Oil in my gas. Love to use in on road trips that way it can run through all in one trip.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (ssmuff @ Jul 30 2010, 02:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=346182
I use it in my Jeep every time I change the oil. Heck I use Mystery Oil in my gas. Love to use in on road trips that way it can run through all in one trip.
I've heard b4 that mystery oil is considered "snake" oil by most (bogus)....but I've heard the same about Slick 50 and it saved my father's 1986 Pontiac 6000 engine wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back when (early 90's) when the mech's changing the oil forgot to pour oil back into the crankcase and my pops drove for 5miles with a bone dry engine... (the slick 50 was put in the previous oil change)

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Actually, I'd avoid thinking you really need fuel injector cleaner at all. It's not good for your O2 sensors or your catalytic converter.

·
Registered
264 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jul 30 2010, 02:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=346186
I've heard b4 that mystery oil is considered "snake" oil by most (bogus)....but I've heard the same about Slick 50 and it saved my father's 1986 Pontiac 6000 engine wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back when (early 90's) when the mech's changing the oil forgot to pour oil back into the crankcase and my pops drove for 5miles with a bone dry engine... (the slick 50 was put in the previous oil change)

ive used slick 50 in every vehicle ive ever owned, never had a single engine problem. i already put it in this car at 900 miles (first oil change)

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (glenn716 @ Jul 30 2010, 02:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=346188
This is usually when I add this stuff (after an oil change at about 3,000mi.) but I usally add it to a full tank of gas.....have I been adding this the wrong way all this time?

you want the tank empty because u want the concentrated cleaner to get into your injectors immediately, not watered down with gas....after you put the techron in, THEN you fill up full with a good tank of top tier gas (Shell is the only top tier in NY)

·
Registered
817 Posts
I believe Marathon gas uses STP as an additive.

·
Registered
486 Posts
>>>>the BEST fuel injector cleaner is hands down made by Chevron. It's called Techron.>>>>

....BG 44k.. is Techron in a can.. Great injector cleaner.....With todays gas, not needed.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (snapper41 @ Jul 31 2010, 03:11 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=346295
>>>>the BEST fuel injector cleaner is hands down made by Chevron. It's called Techron.>>>>

....BG 44k.. is Techron in a can.. Great injector cleaner.....With todays gas, not needed.
I completely forgot about BG44k..good stuff! but as for the comment about not being needed, COMPLETELY false! I can tell you, I watch gas stations religiously and the same generic island transportation trucks fill up Mobil, Vallero, Exxon, etc... Top Tier gases have no real need for fuel injector cleaners, but not regular stations

QUOTE (hyunnychub @ Jul 31 2010, 02:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=346369
not recommended to use as per manual
if we all started following things "by the book", then might as well stop having sex, stop drinking, stop doing drugs, stop breathing, etc...

·
Registered
106 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Aug 3 2010, 02:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=346870
I completely forgot about BG44k..good stuff! but as for the comment about not being needed, COMPLETELY false! I can tell you, I watch gas stations religiously and the same generic island transportation trucks fill up Mobil, Vallero, Exxon, etc... Top Tier gases have no real need for fuel injector cleaners, but not regular stations

if we all started following things "by the book", then might as well stop having sex, stop drinking, stop doing drugs, stop breathing, etc...

I am pretty sure sex and drugs will not void my Hyundai warranty, but adding unapproved "additives" to engine oil will!

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (RXDOC @ Aug 3 2010, 03:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=346877
I am pretty sure sex and drugs will not void my Hyundai warranty, but adding unapproved "additives" to engine oil will!
so when Hyundai tells you that a $6.00 bottle of fuel injector cleaner somehow someway made your intake explode into millions of pieces along with your tires bursting on the highway at 80mph, and you choose to believe the **** they are force feeding you, then I got a really cheap brooklyn bridge to sell you! let me know! lol....

·
Registered
106 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Aug 3 2010, 03:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=346887
so when Hyundai tells you that a $6.00 bottle of fuel injector cleaner somehow someway made your intake explode into millions of pieces along with your tires bursting on the highway at 80mph, and you choose to believe the **** they are force feeding you, then I got a really cheap brooklyn bridge to sell you! let me know! lol....

No, but if Hyundai honors their engine warranty, they have a right to ask that you don't use unapproved fuel injector cleaners. So what you are saying is that there is no way your specific $6.00 FI cleaner can cause any engine damage, well what if I like to use natural beeswax honey as my FI cleaner. Maybe when I am at dealership arguing my point, I just throw the SA through the window pane as is customary in NYC.

And, no thanks on the Brooklyn Bridge, I have already purchased it real cheap from another gentleman. :whistling:

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE (hyunnychub @ Jul 31 2010, 02:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=346369
not recommended to use as per manual
I did look through the manual and I did not see where it says not to use fuel additives. I could be wrong. Do you happen to know the page I can see that info? I also see you're from Canada, maybe it's in the Canadian manual and not in the US one.
Believe me, I am not trying to start a war of words. Just looking for some good, solid info.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (RXDOC @ Aug 3 2010, 04:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=346891
No, but if Hyundai honors their engine warranty, they have a right to ask that you don't use unapproved fuel injector cleaners. So what you are saying is that there is no way your specific $6.00 FI cleaner can cause any engine damage, well what if I like to use natural beeswax honey as my FI cleaner. Maybe when I am at dealership arguing my point, I just throw the SA through the window pane as is customary in NYC.

And, no thanks on the Brooklyn Bridge, I have already purchased it real cheap from another gentleman. :whistling:

ok so then you can ask Hyundai's attorney to give me a call and explain to me how they can diagnose an engine failure being due to an "unapproved fuel injector cleaner"...and I'd like to know what they consider "approved injection cleaner"...I got a bridge to sell them too...and don't worry, if they refuse to buy my bridge, I'll launch the dude thru the window, you know.... NYC style!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts