Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I just get two small scratches (lost paint) on the body near back wheel on my 5 month new 09 SF. I am wondering if I should send it to my dealer or body service store to get it fixed. I heard it may cost a lot more at dealership, but I am also worried if I repair it in other body store, I may have trouble with manufacture/dealer warranty in the future, specially the 10 year anti-corrosion service.

Could someone has similar experience please give me some suggestion and advice?

Many thanks in advance.

Jeff

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Non-dealer bodywork will almost certainly void the corrosion warranty for the affected area. I would stick to a local Hyundai dealer whose bodyshop has the best reputation.

I would also defer any bodywork until it is absolutely necessary. Repainted panels often don't match the surrounding area perfectly, and are more likely to peel or corrode in the future than original factory paint. At the very least, consider covering the scratches with touch-up paint if bare metal has been exposed (particularly near the edges of the fender) and then go for a paint job later on. Your Santa Fe will surely accumulate more "character lines" along the way.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
QUOTE (Don67 @ May 23 2010, 03:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325492
Non-dealer bodywork will almost certainly void the corrosion warranty for the affected area. I would stick to a local Hyundai dealer whose bodyshop has the best reputation.

I would also defer any bodywork until it is absolutely necessary. Repainted panels often don't match the surrounding area perfectly, and are more likely to peel or corrode in the future than original factory paint. At the very least, consider covering the scratches with touch-up paint if bare metal has been exposed (particularly near the edges of the fender) and then go for a paint job later on. Your Santa Fe will surely accumulate more "character lines" along the way.

Don, as you know, the anti corrosion warranty has nothing to do with surface scratches.

Most of us has had to deal with scratches that has nothing to do with the Hyundai body warranty. This certainly applies to all manufacturers warranties, as well.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
QUOTE (david-paul-1 @ May 23 2010, 11:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325687
Don, as you know, the anti corrosion warranty has nothing to do with surface scratches.
Unfortunately it does, David... at least in my experience working for Nissan. It's not the scratch itself, but the refinishing of a painted surface, which voids the warranty. Unless it was done by a dealer.

Anyone who has experienced an exception to this rule is the victim of unusually good dealer service :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts