Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently managed to get my 2014 SF Limited AWD stuck in the snow and found that my 4x4 lock does not seem to be working. The 4x4 lock button lights up and there are no codes being thrown. I would assume that all 4 wheels would turn when it is engaged but when I was stuck, only the fronts would spin. I tried turning off the traction control to see if that made a difference and that didn't help. I'm an wondering if the AWD might not even be functioning properly if the lock option doesn't work at all. Ironically, I was picking up a set of winter wheels for the same vehicle because the all seasons on it are terrible in the snow.

I noticed an older thread(2016) from a guy talking about how the AWD on his 2013 was not functioning anymore and how no codes were being thrown to signal any issues. After a couple days, the shop found that it was a bad/faulty rear coupler at the rear differential. I'll likely mention this when I bring it into the shop.

Has anyone else had issues with their 4x4 lock not working? Thanks!

·
Registered
2014 SFS Limited 2.0T
421 Posts
The 4x4 lock button lights up...
In addition to the button, there should be an indicator light on the speedometer display with the word LOCK under it. If there is a similar indicator wothout the word LOCK, then that one is the fault indicator.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In addition to the button, there should be an indicator light on the speedometer display with the word LOCK under it. If there is a similar indicator wothout the word LOCK, then that one is the fault indicator.
Thanks for that info. Unfortunately, the dash indicator is also lit up...with the word LOCK.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
OK. Big misunderstanding about what that button does. It does NOT lock all fours wheels as this is an AWD vehicle, not a true 4WD vehicle. If memory serves.....All that the AWD lock button does is to keep the vehicle in AWD from a stop. With the button off you are in FWD and the AWD will engage seamlessly when needed. With the button on the vehicle is in AWD from zero to 35 MPH with 50-50 torque split front to rear when you start moving and the torque to the rear wheels is gradually reduced as you get closer to 35 MPH. At 36 MPH you are back in FWD and the AWD will re engage once you drop below 35 MPH or if needed.

My wife tried to dodge another vehicle stuck at an intersection and high centered her 2017 long body in deep snow. Like 24 inches of snow.
Engaging the AWD button did not help. We had top dig the snow out from under the vehicle and then push it free. In her scenario....Once high centered even true 4WD would not have helped.....

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
It's a fairly basic system relying on the ABS and ESP sensors to do electronic brake vectoring . When you engage the lock button it should provide a 50/50 split between front and rear , hence the term "lock" - because the rear clutch unit is engaged so it does sound like something is amiss with your AWD drive system. As greysave notes it stays that way till 36 mph or so - were your front wheel spin making the speedo register above 36 mph ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a fairly basic system relying on the ABS and ESP sensors to do electronic brake vectoring . When you engage the lock button it should provide a 50/50 split between front and rear , hence the term "lock" - because the rear clutch unit is engaged so it does sound like something is amiss with your AWD drive system. As greysave notes it stays that way till 36 mph or so - were your front wheel spin making the speedo register above 36 mph ?
I'm guessing that the speedo did go over 30mph at times but I also tried to roll slow to see if the rears would engage. They did not turn at any speed with the 4x4 Lock button pressed in. The vehicle goes in for service tomorrow so I will hopefully have some answers after that. I'll be sure to post up what I find out.

Thanks for the responses!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
No harm in getting it checked, but more than likely...Nothing is wrong. Again.....AWD, not 4WD. When stuck the wheels may not necessarily turn on throttle application. I know that goes against the way one would think the system operates, but been there myself. True 4WD with limited slip or locker axles.....They will turn as the are generally mechanically linked (Although some are switching to electro-mechanical). AWD.....Not in a pre 2018 Hyundai. Not sure about newer years. Other AWD system from other manufacturers will vary. A Subaru may as an example...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No harm in getting it checked, but more than likely...Nothing is wrong. Again.....AWD, not 4WD. When stuck the wheels may not necessarily turn on throttle application. I know that goes against the way one would think the system operates, but been there myself. True 4WD with limited slip or locker axles.....They will turn as the are generally mechanically linked (Although some are switching to electro-mechanical). AWD.....Not in a pre 2018 Hyundai. Not sure about newer years. Other AWD system from other manufacturers will vary. A Subaru may as an example...
Brought the vehicle in for service this morning and it was actually a faulty/damaged rear coupler. When they put it up on the lift, they found that the rear wheels were not turning at all. No power was making it to the rear wheels in any mode. The tech said that it did throw a couple codes but for some reason they were not causing the check engine light to turn on. The dealership replaced the coupler and reset everything. All the repairs were covered under the manufacturer warranty.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Same thing happened to me, no error codes, no nothing. Took me sliding around in a snow storm and setting up a tripod when I got home (video linked below). Same issue, damaged rear coupler.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello all

My 2014 XL is having similar issues where I could not got up my driveway to my garage with the 4 wheel lock and I do not have any check engine lights or awd error on the dash. Just out of warranty and I am wondering if it is possible that it could be something that broken while being under warranty.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello all

My 2014 XL is having similar issues where I could not got up my driveway to my garage with the 4 wheel lock and I do not have any check engine lights or awd error on the dash. Just out of warranty and I am wondering if it is possible that it could be something that broken while being under warranty.
Seems possible but I'm am not sure how you'd prove that it happened while still under warranty. Not sure I previously mentioned it but I never had any check engine lights come on but the dealership did say that the error popped up when they ran a system scan. The only reason I knew that the rear wheels were not engaging was because you could visually see that they would not turn with the 4x4 lock button engaged. Good luck!

·
Registered
139 Posts
In my 2018 Santa Fe with 19,000 miles on it, the AWD does not seem to work. If I use the lock button and drive it on the street at slow speed, turn the wheels all the way to steering lock in either direction, there is no feel of binding at all. Is this normal or should I feel some binding like in a 4WD system?

I am going to the mountains tomorrow and will be driving in some slippery conditions on dirt and sand. I hope the AWD works, but right now it seems it isn’t functioning at all.

thoughts?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think you may be fine and just freaked out by all the rear coupler posts that you've been reading. I've only had occasion to use my 2017 AWD in the snow a few times but it really doesn't feel to me like the traditional 4WD. I've owned a few of those and yes there's binding a the steering limits and some weirdness backing up too, but the three AWD vehicles I've owned never felt the same way. AWD doesn't bind or wind-up the same way in my observation.

Just my two cents' worth. Good luck on your trip!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts