Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I am new to this forum and it is my last hope to get an answer to my problem. So the problem is the following:

I own a 2004 Santa Fe 2.0 CRDi VGT 92kW (manual transmission) which is 4WD. It doesn't have a lock button so I know it is FWD most of the time and 4WD when needed. Yeah but the case is a bit complicated. The problem is that when I back or when I drive towards from a stop the driveline binds. And if I am making a turn (e.g. parking) the bind is even stronger and after a bit if I maintain holding the gas pedal and the clutch (half-way) the car stops. As soon as I release the gas pedal the 4WD coupling releases the rear diff and the feeling is like someone bumped me which is very bad for the car. I tought that the coupling (which is electromagnetic by the way) is malfunctioning and I replaced it but the problem still persists. Then I unplugged the cable from the coupling and wired it with a H4 light which I put at my arm-rest to see when the car actually gives power to the coupling (engages 4WD) and the case is that whenever I tap the gas pedal (from a stop) it gives power. When I drive over a speed bump it gives power. When I drive at low RPMs like 1500 it gives power and thus engaging the 4WD when it is not needed. I went to Hyundai and they told me that it is bad coupling and when I told them I already replaced it the guy told me he doesnt know what the problem is and if I manage to fix it to call him and tell him how I did it (THANK YOU.....) My last suggestion is that the 4WD ECM is bugging but I still havent managed to find an ECM to try it.

So my request is if someone has encountered that problem or if someone can give me some advice on how to possibly fix the problem or where I can find an explantion (precise) on how the 4WD is working. Sorry for the long post guys.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I would check your wheel sensors(front)first. When they sense slip it is suppose to engage the rear axle. If you have a TCS(traction control) button, turn it off and see if that helps. I have a scanner that can read the 4WD system. I will plug it in today and see what data streams it monitors and that may help. I haven't used that portion of the scanner yet anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response man. What sensors are you referring to? Because I do not have an angle sensor for the steering wheel. If you are referring to the ABS sensors they are all fine I even changed the right ABS ring because it was broken and caused my ABS to engage without any reason (long time ago and the 4WD problem persists). I have BOSCH KTS540 and on my Santa Fe there is not a 4WD section or at least I haven's seen it. Tomorrow I will go and wire up the car to inspect it carefully with the computer. P.S. I dont have a TCS button.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Threw my scanner on and I was mistaken. It only reads the ABS/ traction control portions of the data. I thought I did read somewhere that the AWD ecm is in the back floor boards under the rear seat. Not sure on your model though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts