Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other day the wife and i were washing our cars:), i moved mine from my usual parking spot to the one next door, and moved it back when she finished. later that night i said i was going to go get groceries but when i went to start the car, it wouldnt turn over:eek:. about five weeks ago the dealer told me my battery was going bad when i got my oil changed:eek:. so i went up to the dealership at seven in the morning and bought a battery, put it in and no beans:mad:. dealer told me they just got them in and had not charged them yet so i jumped it and BANG starts right up:), so i let it run for about an hour then drive it to the bank and back and turned it off when i got home, thought to my self that i would try to see if it starts........... Nothing:mad::mad::mad:. so i called the dealer and they said to call roadside assistance and have it towed, got dropped off friday at 3pm, drove by the dealership yesterday afternoon to see if it was in the shop, and to my surprise it was on the sky lift with the hood open, so we will see what they say tomorrow afternoon when i get off work. :\ any thoughts on what it could be?:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Loose connnections? Not fully charged. Driving the car is much better than idling for battery charging.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
Loose connnections? Not fully charged. Driving the car is much better than idling for battery charging.
And with a new battery like that an EXTERNAL charger is a must.
The onboard system might never get it fully charged.

But then, the battery might have been getting weak because the alternator was not keeping it charged in the first place.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
I must be lucky or something with my car. 3+ years with the OEM battery and no issues...yet. And that's including 2 WI winters and no battery blanket or engine block heater.

I'm going to go out to the garage and kiss my battery!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got my car back. guess i wasted 106$ on the battery, there was a workorder(kindove like a recall) on the 2011 sonata starters, a pin in my starter broke, they rebuilt it, good as new. thank god for this LONG waranty.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Idling does very little to charge a battery on system. It does enough to keep it "even".

To properly charge a battery you would need a good long highway drive or better yet an intelligent trickle charge like Battery Tender Jr. I have one when I would store my MR2 over the winter. Its like 35 bucks and is a god send to keeping the battery cycled and fresh. I even opted to put the 6 buck permanent connector on the Fusion and the Sonata so I can charge it in the garage with a simple hook connector versus the alligator clips that come with it.

A bad alternator can take a battery with it if not diagnosed. A bad battery will just need replaced. Measure your system with the car on and a Digital Volt meter across the minus and positive terminals. It should read above 13.8 volts.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hyundai batteries are sealed and only last about 3 years. Yours was ready to fail.

Bob
i've had my car since may 2010. about a month ago when i had the oil changed they tested and told me it was getting weak. i was like, yeah right, just trying to make a buck so i let it go. this morning the car wouldn't start. dead battery. basically three years on the dot

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Hyundai batteries are sealed and only last about 3 years. Yours was ready to fail.

Bob
i call shenanigans. similar as with louky, my battery was original in my 2004 (so really the battery was likely built in 2003) and it was replaced just last fall. 9 years here.

i've worked on several other hyundais for friends and family, similar stories.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
One of the hardest things on car batteries is HEAT. I'm guessing almost any battery in Canada will have a longer life than one in Florida, south Texas, Phoenix, etc . . . But 9 years is remarkable.

When I lived in Houston 3-4 years was about it-- here in Louisville 4-6 seems to cover most.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
. . But 9 years is remarkable.
For a good quality sealed AGM type, that wouldn't really be too remarkable at all; more than 7 years is common.

From the testimony given here, it would appear that they have started using cheaper batteries in the last few years. I'll be keeping an eye on mine.......as it lives in one of the "hot zones".

I wonder if battery location and ventilation has changed too maybe ??

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i've had my car since may 2010. about a month ago when i had the oil changed they tested and told me it was getting weak. i was like, yeah right, just trying to make a buck so i let it go. this morning the car wouldn't start. dead battery. basically three years on the dot
Thats exactly what they told me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts