Hyundai Forums banner

121 - 140 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
I got 36 cold psi. Run 80% highway and changed factory oil out at 1000 miles. I am actually at 5700 miles but started to keep track a little over 3000 miles ago. I changed oil at 5000 miles too. Both times synthetic. Best I have done was 33.52 mpg for a tank, worst was 22.75 mpg.

This with 87 octane top tier gas.
Are you carrying around a lot of stuff too?
How many people are with you?

Just keep in mind that the more stuff you carry, the lower your MPG will be.
If you don't need to haul it, don't!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Its me 150 pounds, dog 20 pounds, a load of laundry 20 pounds, jumper cables 10 pounds and a flash light 2 pounds. So a little over 200 pounds. Its not anything I can control, its the car. I would like to see some actually long term data from other users.

This site cuts off the bottom of the pics for some reason.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts

Over the first 15,209 miles (just over one full year) on my 2018 Value Edition, I have averaged 38.6 MPG. It is nice to see that cold weather and winter gas don't impact fuel economy much--from Thanksgiving to early April, it only took a 1 MPG hit; down to 37.6.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Always hard to compare mileage between cars and drivers. Short city trips with cold engine and full-throttle accelerations between stop lights is gonna burn lots of gas vs long steady-state cruising on the interstates. That said, I've tracked each tank of gas in my cars for years (for both business purposes and to give a clue for mechanical issues- like a dragging brake....don't ask me how I know about THAT one!).

My experience with my '17 E Limited has been consistently 36-38mpg (actual US gas used vs miles traveled) on my 22 mile commute of 1/3 city 2/3 highway. Highway cruise is 40+mpg easy. Example- recent 600+ mile round trip (2 adults, full trunk, Midwest US interstate, low 70's mph, A/C on about half the time) was 43mpg outbound (calm winds) & 38mpg inbound (into a 15-20mph headwind!).

My WORST tank ever was 31.5mpg from 200+mi all city driving with less than 1000mi on the odometer.

Overall my mileage steadily improved over 1st several thousand miles (by 1.5-2.5mpg).

FWIW- To reference my E's 36-38mpg commuting experience, my 2010 Nissan Altima (2.5L 4cyl) consistently gave me 26-27mpg for the same exact commute.

I've been VERY happy with my E's mileage.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Just did a all highway run and as flat as we have around here (bonivelle salt flats). Had a slight tail wind with just myself in the car. 37.08 mpg. Sad. Car said 39.70 but doesn't make me feel better.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Its me 150 pounds, dog 20 pounds, a load of laundry 20 pounds, jumper cables 10 pounds and a flash light 2 pounds. So a little over 200 pounds. Its not anything I can control, its the car. I would like to see some actually long term data from other users.

This site cuts off the bottom of the pics for some reason.
A little off topic, but, what program are you using?

Back to topic though, are you filling to the first click? And then stopping or, till you round to the dollar, each fill?
That will have a little difference to MPG.

But, what you said about 200LBs, thats nothing. I'm thinking now you have a brake issue, unless you're a heavy foot, heavy brake guy.

What I mean by that is, if you are at a stop light, and it turns green, do you push the gas petal to the floor, or do you ease into it?
Do you rush up to a red light, and then stop hard and fast, or do you coast, knowing the light is going to be red when you get there.

Make sure its in Eco or Normal driving mode too. If its in "sport" mode, you will be seeing much higher RPMs, and using more fuel.

If all else fails, take it to a dealership. Show them your MPG numbers, and tell them you feel one of your brakes is not releasing fully.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Just did a all highway run and as flat as we have around here (bonivelle salt flats). Had a slight tail wind with just myself in the car. 37.08 mpg. Sad. Car said 39.70 but doesn't make me feel better.
How fast? Speed makes a big difference. Depending on how fast you are going, 37 MPG might not be too bad.

·
Registered
168 Posts
How fast? Speed makes a big difference. Depending on how fast you are going, 37 MPG might not be too bad.
Yes, 80 mph average and my mileage might be around there on the highway. But if I stick to 55mph and dont have the AC on? I can easily get over fifty miles per gallon. Of course i am rarely averaging 55mph on the highway. I'm usually at 65 to 70 mph on the highway. Strictly as a compromise. So I can get good mileage while also going a decent speed.

My average mpg is at 38.0 after 57 or so fillups. With around 27% city/local driving.

Sent from my Galaxy S10

·
Registered
35 Posts
Last fill-up on my 2018 Elantra SEL (Mitsubishi 6- speed automatic) including city driving (stop & go) I averaged 42. Driven like a mad man I get 32. Last fill on highway only travel on Florida highways I averaged 49.8 in ECO Amazing!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just completed a trip from western Toronto to Ottawa, return largely avoiding expressways. Some 407 and 417 (limit = 100kph), but mostly Hwy 7 (limit = 80kph).
My driving was steadily 20%-25% above the speed limit, and involved some aggressive overtaking. Definitely did not baby the car to increase the mileage.

Trip computer showed 5.4L/100km (43.56mpg)

Pretty impressed and I'm curious how much better it could be driving like my grandmother.

Attachments

·
Registered
317 Posts
By keeping track of my own actual mpg and the computer read out is constantly saying 7 to 12 percent higher than what is actually happening. This and talking to others who actually keep track backs up what I track.

You will get the people that say well mines this far off but it was a one times thing. You have to have data for thousands of miles for it to be relavent.

I got the 38, actually would be 38.33 using the 12% off. Which does happens. This is US gallons/miles. I also recommend a mpg tracker app. Its a way you can have actual data to see what your car is doing. Plus you can put services on there and print out service history.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Not a Elantra , still pleased with gas mileage . The last 4 fills of the computer display ( 46.825 Avg. m.p.g. ) and calculated M.P.G. ( 42.99 ) are off by 3.835 M.P.G. ( 46.825 - 42.99 ) . . Click to see details .

·
Registered
168 Posts
By keeping track of my own actual mpg and the computer read out is constantly saying 7 to 12 percent higher than what is actually happening. This and talking to others who actually keep track backs up what I track.

You will get the people that say well mines this far off but it was a one times thing. You have to have data for thousands of miles for it to be relavent.

I got the 38, actually would be 38.33 using the 12% off. Which does happens. This is US gallons/miles. I also recommend a mpg tracker app. Its a way you can have actual data to see what your car is doing. Plus you can put services on there and print out service history.
Mine is typically 5% to 9% off. So I figure on 7% while driving for just calculating in my head.

·
Registered
24 Posts
agree, the mileage computer is off on my Elantra as well. It consistently says higher mileage than I'm actually getting. I am getting decent mileage, higher on highway than the EPA but average for city or combined. I am disappointed that the computer is not accurate. The mileage computer in my Murano is spot on with manual method so I know I can rely on it. I can't say the same for the Elantra.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Last trip 44 mostly on highway: AC On + Cruse control On
3 weeks commuting: 35MPG
I guess depends on temperature. you'll get higher MPG, If engine does not need warm-up

121 - 140 of 143 Posts