Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an '18 Elantra SE 6 weeks ago. Last 2 weeks have been watching my trip computer AND doing my own calculation of MPG since I didn't believe I could get 43-44 MPG. But that's what I'm getting. Is this commonplace? The dealer sticker lists 37 - 38 HWY, so I certainly didn't expect (and am not unhappy) to be getting 44!!! I do a 50 mile round trip commute each day and my '12 Accent only got 36. Who else is experiencing this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great to know these cars are significantly beating EPA estimate now vs. underperforming which caused the class action settlement several years back. I bought my 2nd Hyundai even with the previous situation, but they have very pleasantly surprised me!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
We get our mileage check (pre-paid card) every couple of years for our 11 Sonata Hybrid. We beat the mileage in the summer and take a hit in the winter. My Elantra gets around 40 in the summer, but has dropped to 35 this winter. I'm happy with what we get.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
...not sure if we can jump over here and brag, 2011 2.4L GLS: 47.8 mpg (20mi. run), 47.7 mpg (35mi. run), 41.2 (418 mi. round trip to Chgo and back from central WI with a little bumper to bumper in Milw)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to add some details: I bought my 2018 Elantra in mid-Dec. I'm in the Great Lakes area, so it is COLD here. I did notice my trip computer dropped ave/MPG to around 38 when we had that bitterly cold spell a few weeks ago. Now that it's back to normal (20-30F), MPG is back up around 43-44 mi.

My commute is highway driving, Normal mode, 65 mph. Will be interesting to see if MPG changes when temps are closer to 60s-70s. Guess once the A/C is needed, that may have a negative impact. But again, I'm very happy to be getting 5-6 miles better than was posted on the window sticker!

·
Registered
96 Posts
This is all good to hear. I'm buying an Elantra in the next couple months. Coming from a 15 Optima hybrid that has averaged 38 mpg over 25,000 miles. Mileage suffers big time in the cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
182 Posts
That's amazing. I'm hopeful my newly acquired '14 Elantra SE will get better MPG than the 2 cars I traded in for it .
The computer says I have about 140 miles left before I need to buy gas and I've already traveled 232 miles. This should be interesting. I seem to be getting better MPGs than my '03 Sentra and my '09 Accent HB got. If I can get 32 MPG or more around town I think I'd be delighted.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
50+ mpg on the interstate driving at 65 mph, drops down to 46 at 75 mph, 37 mpg around town, but this is with summer gas.

This stupid winter gas is darn close to the window stricter EPA economy, must have been using their stupid winter gas for giving this parameter.

Took them about 28 years to realize their emission controls are worthless until the vehicle reaches operating temperature and this goes strictly by the calendar, we had an exception warm fall last year, and only takes about an extra minute or two for the engine to warm up.

Standard summer gas is 120,000 BTU's per US gallon in heat value, winter is as low as 93,000 BTU, and because it cost more to manufacture, price increases by about 10%, so not getting screwed once, but twice.

Was back in the late 80's they found the O2 sensor was worthless until it reached 350* F, already has 1,400*F exhaust gas blowing on it, but made us add a 15 watt heater to it that doubled the price to the consumer. Just decreased the warm up time by a few seconds, but a few seconds to them is better than nothing.

Tried to get us to electrically heat the catalytic converter as well, was in the late 90's as I recall, those little engines didn't have enough HP to drive the size of alternator we needed, so they went to the petroleum companies to add oxygen to the gas, thus extremely pure fuel economy.

Elantra fuel economy is based on using summer gas, so that looks good, but not when you divide your mileage by the number of gallons the pump says.

Before all this happened, didn't make any difference driving in summer or winter in terms of fuel economy, sure does now.

·
Registered
140 Posts
This picture is from my trip in the late part of the summer of 2017.. I went to Holiday World, from Nashville, TN. Wasn't expecting this MPG, excited to see it on the dash. And this was the final numbers.
Hand Calc. date of trip 7/2/17 total miles 331.60 Fuel used 7.067 Total MPG 46.92

Attachments

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Just to add some details: I bought my 2018 Elantra in mid-Dec. I'm in the Great Lakes area, so it is COLD here. I did notice my trip computer dropped ave/MPG to around 38 when we had that bitterly cold spell a few weeks ago. Now that it's back to normal (20-30F), MPG is back up around 43-44 mi.

My commute is highway driving, Normal mode, 65 mph. Will be interesting to see if MPG changes when temps are closer to 60s-70s. Guess once the A/C is needed, that may have a negative impact. But again, I'm very happy to be getting 5-6 miles better than was posted on the window sticker!
Some of my highest mileage was during the hot summer days with A/C. I think engine getting warmed quicker helps. Extreme cold was the worst.

My normal route has a lot of short trips. I average around the Mid-30's year round. As long as I lay off the gas it is very consistent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well I calculate my miles each time I fuel up. I drive about 80% highway this week was almost all highway and I hand calculated 44 MPG even though the trip stated 36. I was a bit shocked at the high number. I normally avg 36 sometimes less.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Amazing. I will find out soon.
I wouldn't be surprised if I'm getting 35 MPG or so around town, which is mostly where I drive.
Maybe I'll travel a little more often since I might get so much better MPGs.

·
Registered
126 Posts
haha I love that you need A/C in 60-70deg temps

·
Registered
664 Posts
Well I calculate my miles each time I fuel up. I drive about 80% highway this week was almost all highway and I hand calculated 44 MPG even though the trip stated 36. I was a bit shocked at the high number. I normally avg 36 sometimes less.
If it's that far off to the positive side, I'd be willing to bet that the tank was more full when you started your trip than it was after you filled it up. Some gas pumps click off earlier than others, and when you filled it up the second time, it probably clicked off early.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Dunno how everyone is getting these amazing numbers. Mine shows 32 but hand calculations are 29-30. I drive like an old man, accelerate slow and cruise control at 65, tires properly inflated. 70% highway, 30% bumper to bumper traffic (stop, move up 10 feet, stop, repeat) everyday though.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts