Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife today finally told the dealer service consultant NO while there for her $15 oil change, when he recommended she replace the spark plugs at a total cost of $411, which was broken down into labor of $273 and $23/ea for the 6 plugs.

I can't wait until she returns to see what the owners' manual suggests for plug replacement interval, but it seems most modern engines have a 100,000 mile life for so called "tune ups".

I've often been amazed when she falls for the service recommendations when there for the give away oil changes, like cabin filter changes at $120 and brake cleaning for $150. How do they look themselves in the mirror after taking advantage of people like that ?

·
Registered
87 Posts
QUOTE (Pyzon @ Jul 5 2010, 01:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338995
I've often been amazed when she falls for the service recommendations when there for the give away oil changes, like cabin filter changes at $120 and brake cleaning for $150. How do they look themselves in the mirror after taking advantage of people like that ?
My mom does the same ****, dude. As far as looking at themselves in the mirror, the Hyundai service writer at my local dealership is so ***** ugly, I don't think he can look at himself anyway. I'm not allowed back in the service department because I "assaulted" him after doing $1700 worth of work to my car with no authorization whatsoever, including a $250 tune-up.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
The price is right, since it's a PITA job and we're talking dealer work, but the schedule is 97.5 K miles, and not 60 k. 60k would be for platinum plugs, you have iridium.

·
Registered
87 Posts
QUOTE (jsinton @ Jul 6 2010, 11:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339208
The price is right, since it's a PITA job and we're talking dealer work, but the schedule is 97.5 K miles, and not 60 k. 60k would be for platinum plugs, you have iridium.
I think his point was, he could replace his coil-pack, plugs, and wires himself for less than half of what the dealer wanted for plugs and wires, and it would probably only take him 1/2 an hour.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
QUOTE (hatesmith @ Jul 6 2010, 11:59 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339219
I think his point was, he could replace his coil-pack, plugs, and wires himself for less than half of what the dealer wanted for plugs and wires, and it would probably only take him 1/2 an hour.
It's not as easy as a four banger. You have to take the intake off to get to the back three. It could easily take a couple hours if you haven't done it before.

The $23 for the plugs is an outrage, but that's a dealer price. You could get those for half price. But only use the OEM NGK Iridium IFR5G-11 plugs.

·
Registered
816 Posts
QUOTE (Pyzon @ Jul 5 2010, 01:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338995
My wife today finally told the dealer service consultant NO while there for her $15 oil change, when he recommended she replace the spark plugs at a total cost of $411, which was broken down into labor of $273 and $23/ea for the 6 plugs.
My dealer told me $600 including sparkplug wires. I only have 60,000Km, bu the plugs have been there for almost 5 years.

If you wait till you have 120,000Km or the equiv in miles the plugs may have seized and it would cost even more to remove, also the 6th plug is a real bi*tch to remove, not a DIY job

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (Pelican @ Jul 6 2010, 03:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339286
My dealer told me $600 including sparkplug wires.
WOW!! You gots plug wires on your Azera... Ask the fella to take a pic of them for you & me .. :banana:

I only have 60,000Km, but the plugs have been there for almost 5 years.

If you wait till you have 120,000Km or the equiv in miles the plugs may have seized and it would cost even more to remove, also the 6th plug is a real bi*tch to remove, not a DIY job
Don't you just love seized parts.. I took plugs out of my daily driver last week or so when I replaced cap-wire set, re-applied some MOBIL 1 synthetic grease to threads and re-install with torque wrench.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts