1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
QUOTE (JRL @ Dec 22 2010, 06:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=382549
If your going to stick those parts in a 3.3 you are going to need some super fine head porting,Nice idea ,go for it v 33. between v33 and ricer you can make it work.. later
moi? lol... I'm not that hardcore of a tuner... but I did have the 3.5 stroker theory... seems much easier to get but v33 says the 3.8 and 3.3 shares the same crank (part#s are the same), which I still don't think is true... how can they be when one yields 87mm (in the 3.8) and one is 83.8mm (in the 3.3)? But hey, he says he looked up the part #s and I never went that far so I dunno... I use hmaservice and although it has good info, it seems to have a bunch of typos, so I don't really trust my "source" :p

but I'd have to agree with v33 on the ecu tune... we'll see what Santa brings :innocent:

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
QUOTE (riceR @ Dec 22 2010, 08:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=382608
moi? lol... I'm not that hardcore of a tuner... but I did have the 3.5 stroker theory... seems much easier to get but v33 says the 3.8 and 3.3 shares the same crank (part#s are the same), which I still don't think is true... how can they be when one yields 87mm (in the 3.8) and one is 83.8mm (in the 3.3)? But hey, he says he looked up the part #s and I never went that far so I dunno... I use hmaservice and although it has good info, it seems to have a bunch of typos, so I don't really trust my "source" :p

but I'd have to agree with v33 on the ecu tune... we'll see what Santa brings :innocent:
No the bore and stroke are different. However I do recall the pistons being the same p/n altho I can be wrong. I dont have access to the parts system as it uses IE5.0 or some old version and my new computer has something newer. I have not found out a way to correct this yet. Either way you could get it all to work find in the 3.3L as I know the blocks are 100% the same.

PS what is 87mm and 83.8mm?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If i dont want to take it as far as the stroker kit... would OEM genesis coupe cams give us more aggressive valve timing (preferably WITHOUT a tune)?

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
QUOTE (alfu @ Dec 23 2010, 12:37 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=382651
If i dont want to take it as far as the stroker kit... would OEM genesis coupe cams give us more aggressive valve timing (preferably WITHOUT a tune)?
I am not sure if they are the same or not but if you have a pre 08 sonata I would not do gen cams. As the Gen has VVT on both intake and exhaust cams where the pre 08 only has it on the intake side. :(

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (v33sonata @ Dec 23 2010, 10:18 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=382753
I am not sure if they are the same or not but if you have a pre 08 sonata I would not do gen cams. As the Gen has VVT on both intake and exhaust cams where the pre 08 only has it on the intake side. :(
what about early 3.8 azera/entourage/santafe cams?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I dont have access to the parts system as it uses IE5.0 or some old version and my new computer has something newer. I have not found out a way to correct this yet.
Download and install Google Chrome It renders the HMA website OK, which used to require the Adobe SVG plugin. Chrome doesn't need the plugin. It's still possible the website won't render properly but it's worth a try.

·
Registered
261 Posts
QUOTE (v33sonata @ Dec 23 2010, 08:18 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=382753
What kind of VVT does the gen/sonata use? Is it like Honda's VTEC system? Could you possibly just replace the intake cams from the gen coupe? Sorry, not a big car tech buff, but if you want to know how the variable stator vanes on a turbojet engine works, I'm your guy.

·
Registered
337 Posts
lol if V get this done to his **** have to change his name to V37 if it adds the .4literes or so as advertised lmao

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
QUOTE (NubR1 @ Dec 23 2010, 10:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=383015
lol if V get this done to his **** have to change his name to V37 if it adds the .4literes or so as advertised lmao

LOL I have plans but I am a couple years away. I want to do a gencoupe 3.8L swap. But at the moment the engine and ECU's are too much. But yea then it will be V38 or maybe V42......") only time will tell.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Wouldn't the RWD layout of the gen make it impossible to put it in ours? Maybe not impossible but a lot more money than it's worth?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Oh cool! More incentive to keep the car for a while.. if it comes time to replace the motor, 3.8's might be found at a reasonable price then.. Lol

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
assuming you do find a 3.8 (BK) to drop in and it mates up to your tranny. which ECU will u use? the genesis ecu is meant for the zf tranny. and the sonata ecu wouldnt be able to properly run the 3.8 bk motor (direct injection, CVVT on intake and exhaust )....

i think if i ever do any crazy mods like this id probly attempt awd (santa fe or veracruz) first.

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
QUOTE (alfu @ Dec 24 2010, 10:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=383233
assuming you do find a 3.8 (BK) to drop in and it mates up to your tranny. which ECU will u use? the genesis ecu is meant for the zf tranny. and the sonata ecu wouldnt be able to properly run the 3.8 bk motor (direct injection, CVVT on intake and exhaust )....

i think if i ever do any crazy mods like this id probly attempt awd (santa fe or veracruz) first.
The FWD tranny will bolt up and not have any issues. As for the ECU you will have to uses the 3.8L ECU and wiring harness.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts