Hyundai Forums banner

3rd upper brake light stopped working

3K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  AUTOSPARK 
#1 ·
Hi all, I have a 3 doors accent crdi 1.5 and I'd like to ask you how to diagnose the issue with the upper 3rd brake light no longer working.
May it be caused by some wiring failure for the continuous opening closing of the rear trunk? I already did some fix on wiring on the upper left housing due to opened trunk signalling symbol on the dashboard. But if this is not the case just wanted to know if is there some tutorials on how to replace the led bar itself and the part code I need to find as replacement.

Really appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance

#4 ·
Hi guys, thanks a lot for your help! I've managed to remove the wiring plastic shell on the trunk this morning, no damaged wires seems there. I've instead spotted a little opening in the bottom housing for the brake light itself that I think exposed the inner part to water, really don't know if there was some kind of gasket plug there to avoid exposure to external environment. I can see lot of dirt inside the red housing plastic, I think it flew inside most of the time when I washed my car with high pressure water at washing centers. I've seen that the part costs almost 100€ and I'm wondering if I can make a workaround using led strips and modding the damaged light itself, do you know the voltage that is available at the power plug for this stop light? It should be 12v. Haven't removed it yet and sincerely do not know if this kind of thing is possible, I mean if leds are accessible in the plastic brake housing and is possible to insert third party leds to power with existing cable.

#7 ·
Hi guys, thanks a lot for your help! I've managed to remove the wiring plastic shell on the trunk this morning, no damaged wires seems there. I've instead spotted a little opening in the bottom housing for the stop light itself that I think exposed the inner part to water, really don't know if there was some kind of gasket plug there to avoid exposure to external environment. I can see lot of dirt inside the red housing plastic, I think it flew inside most of the time when I washed my car with high pressure water at washing centers. I've seen that the part costs almost 100€ and I'm wondering if I can make a workaround using led strips and modding the damaged light itself, do you know the voltage that is available at the power plug for this stop light? It should be 12v. Haven't removed it yet and sincerely do not know if this kind of thing is possible, I mean if leds are accessible in the plastic brake housing and is possible to insert third party leds to power with existing cable.
You need to make sure the LED you use works with 12 volts and if not you need a dropping resistor.
You need to make sure the LED you use works with 12 volts and if not you need a dropping resistor.
Is there that connector info
HI is there available the connector info for this 3rd brake? I mean wondering if there is need to wire not only +/-12v for this brake but there is also some other signal that goes there and needs to be wired to a third party led strip designed for automotive use

#12 ·
Hi still have to fix that.. ****...no time till now... Anyway I've found another discussion in this forum in which there is written that the leds are completely embedded into the plastic housing and so there is need to cut the plastic to access them... This is something I have not considered before... I just wanted to replace faulty leds with cheap led strip but there is danger to brake the housing while attempting to remove the original led strip this would be very bad... Does anybody know if the job is possible? Remove and replace leds in the spoiler housing with a different cheap one? Thanks a lot for your help!

#13 ·
Does anybody know if the job is possible? Remove and replace leds in the spoiler housing with a different cheap one?
I'm sure it's possible, but is it worth all the effort for a £30~40 lamp unit.
And it probably isn't even the LEDs themselves that have failed. There are about 20 LEDs in that lamp and it seems highly unlikely that all of them would fail and all at the same time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.