Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Tucson GLS 2.7L AWD. I have an upshift problem going into 3rd gear when merging into traffic from a dead stop. There was a severe shudder and than the shift. With normal to maderate acceleration the Tucson shifts perfectly. I decided to take it the dealer. The tech who took the car for a test drive came back and said they would have to reprogram the car. After a hour or so the service advisor came out and told me everything was finished and to drive gently for awhile. For how long he did not say. He did caution me that if it happened again I would need a new transmission. I also spoke to the tech and asked him what he thought was going on and he was evasive.

Does anybody on this forum have any idea as to what is going on with my suv. I would appreciate any information anyone has to offer as to why I would need a new trans.

I have 74k miles and atf is squeeky clean.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
What does the receipt say ?

I can only find (1) program for the 2.7 for a "reverse incorrect ratio" update in a 2005 dated TSB, which might have other jibberish in the update to cover other needs...

Drive it carefully... they reset the adaptive values, and if done while ATF good and hot, they should have went out and made the initial learn across their lot or in adjacent neighborhood, then return vehicle to you...

In the end, the "adaptive learn" thing Hyundai uses is a royal PIA/problem for us and customers.

Have concerns with mom drives vehicle during week, teenager get car for weekend and flogs it, then mom wonders why shifts are nothing like she used to...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Aug 14 2010, 04:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=349375
What does the receipt say ?

I can only find (1) program for the 2.7 for a "reverse incorrect ratio" update in a 2005 dated TSB, which might have other jibberish in the update to cover other needs...

Drive it carefully... they reset the adaptive values, and if done while ATF good and hot, they should have went out and made the initial learn across their lot or in adjacent neighborhood, then return vehicle to you...

In the end, the "adaptive learn" thing Hyundai uses is a royal PIA/problem for us and customers.

Have concerns with mom drives vehicle during week, teenager get car for weekend and flogs it, then mom wonders why shifts are nothing like she used to...
Thank you for the response. As an update I went back to the dealer and two techs took it out on the road for an hour or so hooked up to a Hi Scanner I suppose and came back with the verdict that the problem is now intermitent.
The car is goin back for a full day for testing. My frustration is with the fact that I expected the situation to be resolved. I also expected a better explaination from the master tech.
Your is the best one I've heard to date. I can't thank you enough.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (TUCSONIC @ Aug 15 2010, 03:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=349529
Thank you for the response. As an update I went back to the dealer and two techs took it out on the road for an hour or so hooked up to a Hi Scanner I suppose and came back with the verdict that the problem is now intermitent.
The car is goin back for a full day for testing. My frustration is with the fact that I expected the situation to be resolved. I also expected a better explaination from the master tech.
Your is the best one I've heard to date. I can't thank you enough.

Just on a side note if it not been done yet..... the throttle Position sensor on the 2.7 Tucson has been goofy in the past.... if you still have the grey color TPS on yours, and it is still under warranty (probably out of 5/60 now)... tell them that the engine stalls once in a while when rolling up to a stop..... but it will start right back and drive off... There is a new TPS which is black in color to solve the stalling, may provide better input to TCM for shift concern too.

Let me know what become of updating the Throttle osition Sensor with new black color sensor (Grey color is BUM part)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Aug 15 2010, 07:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=349561
Just on a side note if it not been done yet..... the throttle Position sensor on the 2.7 Tucson has been goofy in the past.... if you still have the grey color TPS on yours, and it is still under warranty (probably out of 5/60 now)... tell them thatthe engine stalls once in a while when rolling up to a stop..... but it will start right back and drive off... There is a new TPS which is black in color to solve the stalling, may provide better input to TCM for shift concern too.

Let me know what become of updating the Throttle osition Sensor with new black color sensor (Grey color is BUM part)

Thanks for the tip. If it is the Grey TPS it's coming out irregardless. My appointment is on the 27th so the old one will stay in there till than.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
SBR, you may disagree but I wonder if it would be worth it to go ahead and change at least part of the transmission fluid at 74K miles regardless of its appearance. I know how the shift feel improved in my '01 Santa Fe a couple of months ago when I drained only what was in the pan and replaced with new. Can't hurt.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (DSHornet @ Aug 16 2010, 08:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=349834
SBR, you may disagree but I wonder if it would be worth it to go ahead and change at least part of the transmission fluid at 74K miles regardless of its appearance. I know how the shift feel improved in my '01 Santa Fe a couple of months ago when I drained only what was in the pan and replaced with new. Can't hurt.

Cant hurt, especially if no ATF service been done at 60,000 or so.... fella not specified if up to date on service.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Aug 17 2010, 07:51 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=349901
Cant hurt, especially if no ATF service been done at 60,000 or so.... fella not specified if up to date on service.
I've been so busy lately I don't know if I'm coming or going.
Complete trans flush was performed by dealer at 50000 miles.
A partial or 4 quart drain and fill was performed at 73000 miles.
Oil changes with dyno juice every 3000 miles since new.
The Tucson starts and drives like brand new.
I beginning to realize that the shift problem started when I had to change jobs.
My new route involves merging with highway traffic going up hill three times a day.
Two of the entrance ramps are short and I have to accelerate at (guess estimate) 50-75% of throttle.
Also this vehicle has never been driven wot. We'll see what the techs say when they keep it for a day.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (TUCSONIC @ Aug 19 2010, 07:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350571
I've been so busy lately I don't know if I'm coming or going.
Complete trans flush was performed by dealer at 50000 miles.
A partial or 4 quart drain and fill was performed at 73000 miles.
Oil changes with dyno juice every 3000 miles since new.
The Tucson starts and drives like brand new.
I beginning to realize that the shift problem started when I had to change jobs.
My new route involves merging with highway traffic going up hill three times a day.
Two of the entrance ramps are short and I have to accelerate at (guess estimate) 50-75% of throttle.
Also this vehicle has never been driven wot. We'll see what the techs say when they keep it for a day.
Thank you all for your responses. Hyundai decided to install a new transmission. This should happen within the next 2 weeks.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QUOTE (TUCSONIC @ Aug 28 2010, 03:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352596
Thank you all for your responses. Hyundai decided to install a new transmission. This should happen within the next 2 weeks.
Thanks again.
I'm in shock. Got the Tucson back today with a brand new transmission installed. The truck shifts beautifully. What I'm in shock about is that everything went so smoothly considering this was a warrenty repair. I expected a lot more hassles but what I got is a new trans in three easy steps. I hope Hyundai treats all it's customers this way. For now I'm a satisfied customer.
Thank you sbr711 and DSHornet for your input.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
:clap: It's hard to beat a satisfied customer!

We've had the wife's '07 Tucson into Tameron Hyundai here in Hoover, Alabama, for only two things: A CEL caused by an oxygen sensor, and a CD stuck in the stereo. I've bought numerous maintenance items at their parts counter and the man there has treated me well every time. These are small things to be sure, but over time they add up to an overall positive impression.

However, others haven't been so lucky ... :whistling:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts