Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a couple of months or so I'm going to have my 30K service performed. Based on the manual, here is a checklist of services I'm having performed:

• Full Inspection
    Engine Oil/Filter Replace
    Fuel Air Filter Replace? (see below)
    Fuel Filter Replace
    AT Fluid Change
(I'm replacing the engine and cabin air filters myself.)

Couple of questions:

The manual states that the fuel air filter, charcoal canister, should be changed at 37.5K, is this really necessary or overkill? I've never heard of it needing to be regularly replaced and have not even replaced one before in all the thousands of miles I've put on previous vehicles. According to dealer, it is ~$150 for parts/labor.

Is there a tranny filter? If so, when should it be replaced? This is not mentioned in the manual.

I'm going to ask dealer about using Castrol Multi-Vehicle AT Fluid to see if they will use that ATF on my request.

Anything else I'm missing?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
The fuel air fillter, if it's like the '06's, is kind of a mystery item. On the 06, it is located behind the gas filler door down somewhere along the gas filler tube. When I bought my Sonata, the dealer didn't even know what it was. I would bet your dealer would charge you for it and then not touch it.

It performs a function kind of like the old carbon cannister filters located in the engine compartment. If you want to be like Al Gore and save the world, by all means change it. But, if I remember correctly from some very old threads, you have to dismantle the rear half of the car to replace it (and that's if you could even find one of those suckers). And, even then, it has no effect on car performance.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it looks like I'll pass on the fuel air filter, kinda what I was thinking in the first place. No other vehicle I've owned required any replacement/maintenance of that part. I figure it's in there to either 1) be used to void warranty if you have NOT had it replaced on regular basis or 2) to see if you've actually read the manual. I cannot imagine it affecting emissions either, since all previous vehicles passed with flying colors every time. How would one even know if their fuel air filter needed replacing in the first place?

·
Registered
204 Posts
QUOTE (NFV6 @ Aug 22 2010, 02:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351078
It throws a code :thumbsup: Many posts on the 30K Service. Did you check to see what others have done? :innocent:
This post reminds me of Miamilx, what happened to him anyway?

With regards to the fuel air filter, my dealer told me it was non serviceable and to leave it alone.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
QUOTE (vitacura @ Aug 22 2010, 05:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351100
This post reminds me of Miamilx, what happened to him anyway?

With regards to the fuel air filter, my dealer told me it was non serviceable and to leave it alone.
That's funny... non serviceable.

Anyway, the manual clearly states to change the thing every 30k. It requires removing the inside plastic wheel well, which is only a couple of little bolts. Can't say I ever did one, but it looks easy enough to do.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (NFV6 @ Aug 22 2010, 12:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351078
Many posts on the 30K Service. Did you check to see what others have done? :innocent:
I did not search far enough back, but, yes, I now see those posts to which you are referring.

Still did not see anything with respect to my question regarding the tranny filter though.

·
Banned
335 Posts
There is no user serviceable Tranny filter in your Sonata! The Fuel Tank Air Filter is not a Warranty item, although you
will find it listed on the items to maintain. It will let you know if there are problems!

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
Ask the dealer how much would be this 30k service, ActionMan. They like these kinds of services, easy money for them, usually. You night as well find a local reputable mechanic to do the job.

I had my mechanic replace the fuel air filter, it cost about $80, and it took about 20 minutes. Though I agree that this part is not something that would prevent your car from functioning well if not replaced. As long as you are careful not to over flow your gas tank, meaning stop refueling once the pump stops -- you're not endangering the "health" of that filter. But I still did it...

As to AT fluid change, don't bother unless you can replace it with that magic Castrol fluid.

I like my trustworthy mechanic perform the work on my car, most of the time standing there next to him, vs. by the dealership, where you sit in their waiting room and have no idea of what is done to your car...

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QUOTE (mamamia @ Aug 22 2010, 11:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351239
Ask the dealer how much would be this 30k service, ActionMan. They like these kinds of services, easy money for them, usually. You night as well find a local reputable mechanic to do the job.
Doing that this week once they give me a call regarding that squeak issue that the factory tech is supposed to check out. Im going to compare them to the Firestone shop I have gone to over the past 9 years.

I had my mechanic replace the fuel air filter, it cost about $80, and it took about 20 minutes. Though I agree that this part is not something that would prevent your car from functioning well if not replaced. As long as you are careful not to over flow your gas tank, meaning stop refueling once the pump stops -- you're not endangering the "health" of that filter. But I still did it...
I fill up to the next dollar or so when re-fuelling, a little past when the pump stops. Have been doing that for years. Only actually overflow when the pump fails to stop by itself. Grrrr. Firestone seemed a little reluctant to mess with the fuel air filter though, they suggested I get dealership to perform service. Not sure why.

As to AT fluid change, don't bother unless you can replace it with that magic Castrol fluid.
Firestone said that they could only use their own fluids/parts in order to provide warranty on service/parts. If dealership is more flexible, they may get my service. Regardless of what ATF I use, still need to get ATF changed due to short trip driving around town and regular trips up to mountains this summer. Still hoping tranny performance improves by removing original fluid.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
QUOTE (NFV6 @ Aug 22 2010, 10:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351228
There is no user serviceable Tranny filter in your Sonata! The Fuel Tank Air Filter is not a Warranty item, although you
will find it listed on the items to maintain. It will let you know if there are problems!

Good to know on both counts. Two less filters I need to worry about maintaining. Thanks!

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
QUOTE (ActionMan @ Aug 23 2010, 07:46 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351276
I fill up to the next dollar or so when re-fuelling, a little past when the pump stops. Have been doing that for years. Only actually overflow when the pump fails to stop by itself. Grrrr. Firestone seemed a little reluctant to mess with the fuel air filter though, they suggested I get dealership to perform service. Not sure why.
Not a good idea. You're causing that filter to clog up, which will later give you error codes. Your Firestone guys have probably no experience in replacing that filter, since it's a bit unusual. I had it done by an ex-Hyundai mechanic who was familiar with the procedure. But in any case $150 is almost double than what even my dealer would have done it for.

QUOTE (ActionMan @ Aug 23 2010, 07:46 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351276
Firestone said that they could only use their own fluids/parts in order to provide warranty on service/parts. If dealership is more flexible, they may get my service. Regardless of what ATF I use, still need to get ATF changed due to short trip driving around town and regular trips up to mountains this summer. Still hoping tranny performance improves by removing original fluid.
You will not notice any change in your shifting, not at 30k. The reason I replaced my OEM fluid with that magic Castrol at 30k was not because my OEM fluid was dirty, but because they claimed here it's a superior fluid. From my experience -- I agree. Not like night and day, but definitely better, smoother, more consistent shifting.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Castrol ATF is not synthetic but a blend.
I tried full synthetic and the difference was night and day. I did change it per the Amsoil document.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Curiouser and curiouser! Dropped by Firestone today for a quote on 30K service. ATF Flush is either $130 or $180 depending on the fluid, he couldn't find his chart to determine which fluid was required. The flush puts 15 quarts of fluid through the AT and removes everything, including fluid in the torque converter. He couldn't find a part number for the fuel filter from his parts supplier and determined that it was part of fuel pump assembly and said not to worry about it. Also said not to worry about the fuel air filter for the same reasons posted earlier on this thread. So including engine oil/filter, 30k service will be between $150 and $200. Not nearly as much as I thought it would be.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Sounds about right, for the items on your list above. I checked a similiar list at my local dealer and they quoted me 215. (Transmission flush, oil change, engine air filter).

·
Banned
335 Posts
It is really up to you to know what type of Fluids your Hyundai takes. Aside from the THOUSANDS of ATF Flush or Fill threads here, are
thousands of Sonata service threads.
QUOTE (ActionMan @ Aug 23 2010, 08:46 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351276
Firestone said that they could only use their own fluids/parts in order to provide warranty on service/parts. Regardless of what ATF I use, still need to get ATF changed .

Oh my, :innocent: you need to brush up on your Sonata before you have it touched :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
QUOTE (NFV6 @ Aug 27 2010, 01:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352349
It is really up to you to know what type of Fluids your Hyundai takes. Aside from the THOUSANDS of ATF Flush or Fill threads here, are
thousands of Sonata service threads.

Oh my, :innocent: you need to brush up on your Sonata before you have it touched :thumbsup:
I trust Firestone to use the proper AT Fluid for my specific vehicle. They use 2 different grades/types, manager was not sure which grade/type to use but will make sure correct grade/type is used when I get AT flushed. Just like I don't know exactly what oil they use when I get oil changed, I trust them to use appropriate oil. I don't care as long as they perform service properly and stand behind their service/warranty, which they have done to my statisfaction in the past.

As to your last statement, I don't have a clue as to what you are trying to say or imply.

·
Banned
335 Posts
Big difference using the wrong Oil, and using the wrong ATF. Please, someone give him the link to the search engine

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 54 Posts