Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I am new to this site but have a question. I have a 2008 Santa Fe that I just had in to the dealer for a brake service. While there, they suggested I have the 30k service done. I have been doin the oil changes all along, but they are telling me the car needs a coolant flush and auto transmission service. I didn't let them do it that day. I went home and checked the maintenance log and it does say the transmission needs done at 30k for severe driving, but it clearly states at the bottom that the coolant needs done at 60k and every 30k thereafter. I called the dealer and they said the "letter of the law is the maintenance log", but they recommend doing the coolant at 30k as well. I'll be taking care of the rest of the 30k items myself.

Any advice?

Thanks!

·
3,861 Posts
I just did a drain and fill on the radiator on our 07 Sonata at 40k miles. You can also do the Trans oil your self, a simple drain and fill also. Save all your receipts for the parts you use for any warranty questions.

·
Registered
156 Posts
You can try the diy suggestion that wymi gave, or simply skip those procedures. I didn't bother with that on my 30k service. I had them service the brakes (live in the rust belt), change oil, battery service (keeps corrosion away), and change my filters since they were overdue.

I'm considering the transmission flush at 60k along with the coolant.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They're telling me these services are necessary to keep the warranty in effect. I don't buy it on the coolant, since the maintenance log says nothing about 30k change. The log does require a transmission service at 30k for severe driving conditions. I too live in the rust belt (lovely Cleveland, OH). My brakes were chirping and the brake service took care of that. I'll take care of the filters myself and I already did the oil change.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (jsven @ Jun 10 2010, 12:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331713
They're telling me these services are necessary to keep the warranty in effect.
By all means, make a point of asking them to point to the piece of paper from Hyundai that says so (especially that business about the radiator juice :thumbsup: ). Let us know how you made out, and whether you'll be using another dealer in the future.

·
1,914 Posts
I just hit 37k on mine and I divided the services up between 2 visits. I had the tires rotated, oil change, change the pvc thingy, and I forget what else. I'm holding off on the coolant until 50 and I'm going to get the tranny done around 40k probably.

·
Registered
120 Posts
QUOTE (wymi @ Jun 10 2010, 10:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331640
I just did a drain and fill on the radiator on our 07 Sonata at 40k miles. You can also do the Trans oil your self, a simple drain and fill also. Save all your receipts for the parts you use for any warranty questions.
when you just drain and fill the radiator or the trany oil, do you know how much you are actually draining? You would be lucky to be draining half of the fluid anyways. Half of the fluid will be still sitting in the trany or block with just draining. You really need the "flush" the system to totally change all the fluid.

·
3,861 Posts
QUOTE (jaymyson @ Jun 12 2010, 01:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=332342
when you just drain and fill the radiator or the trany oil, do you know how much you are actually draining? You would be lucky to be draining half of the fluid anyways. Half of the fluid will be still sitting in the trany or block with just draining. You really need the "flush" the system to totally change all the fluid.
I understand that not all the fluid comes out using that method. I just did another drain and fill on the trans after it was driven 1k miles. I'm okay with at least getting most of the old fluid out with subsequent drain and fills.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (HyundaiLvr87 @ Jun 10 2010, 02:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331825
I just hit 37k on mine and I divided the services up between 2 visits. I had the tires rotated, oil change, change the pvc thingy, and I forget what else. I'm holding off on the coolant until 50 and I'm going to get the tranny done around 40k probably.
They say on the first coolant change you should do it at 5/60, severe or non severe. That's different!

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
QUOTE (HyundaiLvr87 @ Jun 10 2010, 05:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331825

Tranny oil at 40,000 miles..........you guys just have money to burn or getting suckered by the dealerships. Tranny oil shouldn't need replaced unless something goes wrong or it smells burnt......but in that case changing the oil won't do much good. You are only makeing the dealerships rich and polluting the enironment at the same time. Coolant is more inportant, but honestly for coolant I go by temp and what the fluid looks like. The first coolant change isn't suppose to be untill 98,000kms which means your warrenty is just about up, so you don't have to worry about the warranty anyways.
Just my thoughts...........do what you must.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts