Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since there's already a thread for this car with manual transmission, I thought I'd comment on the automatic version (some items pertain to both).

+ great trunk space. Compare to 2014 Mazda 3 to see difference.
+ attractive-looking console ( Compare with Mazda 3 and Sentra)
+ elegant design - "Wow" factor. When I first drove my light blue Elantra, I had several elderly gentlemen inquire about it (I live in South Florida).

- upholstery. My mistake, I got light tan seats. Even rain leaves water marks.
- iffy acceleration. I've been in traffic when suddenly I felt the car seize. It's rather scary. Hyundai service said there's nothing wrong (?)
- rough ride. Unless the road is smooth - and most are not, I feel every bump.
- road noise

My lease is up in a month. I've really enjoyed the car but I want to look into others like the Mazda 3. It's interesting that Consumer Reports rates the 2014 Elantra near the top but U.S. News goes with the Mazda 3.

What's funny is that when I first drove the car, I was terrified about the lack of visibility in the rear window. Now, that window looks huge compared to some of the newer cars I've seen.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Since there's already a thread for this car with manual transmission, I thought I'd comment on the automatic version (some items pertain to both).

+ great trunk space. Compare to 2014 Mazda 3 to see difference.
+ attractive-looking console ( Compare with Mazda 3 and Sentra)
+ elegant design - "Wow" factor. When I first drove my light blue Elantra, I had several elderly gentlemen inquire about it (I live in South Florida).

- upholstery. My mistake, I got light tan seats. Even rain leaves water marks.
- iffy acceleration. I've been in traffic when suddenly I felt the car seize. It's rather scary. Hyundai service said there's nothing wrong (?)
- rough ride. Unless the road is smooth - and most are not, I feel every bump.
- road noise

My lease is up in a month. I've really enjoyed the car but I want to look into others like the Mazda 3. It's interesting that Consumer Reports rates the 2014 Elantra near the top but U.S. News goes with the Mazda 3.

What's funny is that when I first drove the car, I was terrified about the lack of visibility in the rear window. Now, that window looks huge compared to some of the newer cars I've seen.
I think the cons are spot on. The tan seats are... well... awful; as one member said, "you just have to look at the seat wrong and it stains!" However, the iffy acceleration isn't something I have experienced. Maybe I just ride my car too hard, but she has NO problem when I'm in a pinch. In fact, she'll sometimes surprise me at how quick she actually is. My major complaint that I'm going to hopefully put an end within the next month is the rear suspension. It is actually getting to the point I don't feel safe because it likes to "hop" way too much on rough highway doing 70+MPH. I suspect that if I order my KYB's and slap them on, I'll be much better off.

That Mazda 3 is a looker though, and the auto press (Motortrend and Car and Driver, even CNET) LOVES that car. Personally, I'm going to be car shopping for weeks if/when I do have to shop for another car. To me, the "midsize" sedan isn't my cup of tea. I want a hatch (Accent) or another SUV (Santa Fe... :) ) Whatever you choose, I hope you enjoy it, personally I'd give the Elantra a second look, especially since they now have the 2.0L available, and slightly better "tech."

·
Registered
98 Posts
Maybe we as owners can get Hyundai to do something about the loose rear end. Safety issue. I wonder how many E owners have had a crash because the rear end gave way? I would have paid $1000 more for independent suspension all the way around.

Its a good looking car, just needs the fun to drive factor upped. More pep remedied by 2.0 GDI, and better driving dynamics (need someone to do a 2013 to 2014 comparison)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts