Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Going to replace the plug wires on our 2003 LX 3.5L. I ordered OEM cables thinking I would get six, only got three, see photo. I don't have the intake manifold off so I can't see plugs/cables 1,3 & 5.
I ordered this part 2750139A70 thinking I would get six cables.
The numbers 1, 3, 5 are stamped on each cable.
This is what I ordered Hyundai 2750139A70 Genuine Factory Original Cable Set | eBay
How many cables are needed?
Do you order 2 sets of 2750139A70?

I can see the front cables 2,4 & 6. Each cable plugs into the coils.

Attachments

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hi,
Going to replace the plug wires on our 2003 LX 3.5L. I ordered OEM cables thinking I would get six, only got three, see photo. I don't have the intake manifold off so I can't see plugs/cables 1,3 & 5.
I ordered this part 2750139A70 thinking I would get six cables.
The numbers 1, 3, 5 are stamped on each cable.
This is what I ordered Hyundai 2750139A70 Genuine Factory Original Cable Set | eBay
How many cables are needed?
Do you order 2 sets of 2750139A70?

I can see the front cables 2,4 & 6. Each cable plugs into the coils.
It's correct, 3 coil packs, and 3 plug wires.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Remove that big plastic 3.5 decorative top cover, and it'll be self explanatory to what happening..

Bank 1 is wires fired off coils mounted at Bank 2... waste spark system

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Remove that big plastic 3.5 decorative top cover, and it'll be self explanatory to what happening..

Bank 1 is wires fired off coils mounted at Bank 2... waste spark system
I do have the cover off.
Sorry I'm so slow, I see three cables connected to coils 2, 4 & 6. Where the cables connect to I have no idea. I see they go under the intake manifold (not taken off yet). So, there are only 3 cables?

Man, this engine (3.5L is confusing). I have a 02 IL6 4.0 jeep cherokee and I do all maintenance, straight forward.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I do have the cover off.
Sorry I'm so slow, I see three cables connected to coils 2, 4 & 6. Where the cables connect to I have no idea. I see they go under the intake manifold (not taken off yet). So, there are only 3 cables?

Man, this engine (3.5L is confusing). I have a 02 IL6 4.0 jeep cherokee and I do all maintenance, straight forward.
Haha, they go to the spark plugs. Like SBR said, wasteful system.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Bizzare. Is this common? Never heard of this before.
Done on 4 cylinder motorcycles for yrs.. way back .. find it on Sea-Doo (ROTAX) twin 2 strokes

Nothing new, most car makers did away with rotating distributors, as electronics became better,, PCM knows where crank and cam are in rotation, so it know when to fire a coil.. the waste spark nails the 1 cylinder in compression to fire, while other plug fire in middle/last of exhaust dump.

Toyota Camry 4 cylinder went waste spark back in mid-90's,, 95 or 96 maybe,, been long time since I been in Toyota service

·
Registered
46 Posts
Noeffort: need a favor - if/when you remove intake plenum to access cyl. 1, 3, 5, let me know if you find a gasket on EGR valve below and to left of Throttle Body!!
Don't be concerned about anyone thinking you are a d...ass, we have all been there at one time or another.
Also, before you remove old plug wires, I suggest you make a diagram as to their exact
locations so you can install new ones in same positions. Be careful of wire separators as
they can be brittle and easily broken. Thanks.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Noeffort: need a favor - if/when you remove intake plenum to access cyl. 1, 3, 5, let me know if you find a gasket on EGR valve below and to left of Throttle Body!!
Don't be concerned about anyone thinking you are a d...ass, we have all been there at one time or another.
Also, before you remove old plug wires, I suggest you make a diagram as to their exact
locations so you can install new ones in same positions. Be careful of wire separators as
they can be brittle and easily broken. Thanks.
Will do. May be a week or two. From what I have been reading in different posts there is a gasket on the egr.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
There is a thin soft aluminum gasket for EGR valve to intake plenum.. IF you lucky, it'll stay stuck to 1 side or other and be of no concern..

Same part at Hyundai or Kia dealer if you need to buy one, just come down to who will actually have one on the shelf.

·
Registered
46 Posts
sbr711: Thanks for the info. Now I will see if I am good enough to install the gasket without totally removing the intake plenum!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
2003 mazda protege has one just like sbr711 describes. very cheap, but if you dont put it on, it can give you a lot of pain. once i lost it, installed the egr valve and all was nice. years later, i cleaned the valve, did not put the gasket (why not, it was fine without it the last time) and the car really got temperamental. installed the gasket and the car got happy again....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts