Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 Santa Fe with a 3.5L engine. I'm currently in the middle of doing some major preventive maintenance. I have 120k on my engine. This is the second timing belt. The first the dealer did at 60k. I'm replacing the water pump, timing belt, tensioner pulley, and stationary pulley. The old ones were fine, but I'm changing them anyway since I'd like to never have to do this job again.

I do have a couple questions though.

Since the alternator is so buried, should I replace that now?

Has anyone ever gotten 200k on an original alternator?

I don't really want to spend another $150, but with 120k miles on the original, its probably going to die sooner than later. Now is probably the best time to do it.

If I do it now, I'm in need of some help on removing it. I've got it loose, but not sure how to extract it. Its between the frame ,engine block, and AC compressor. Of course, my Haynes manual has absolutely no instruction on how to REMOVE my alternator. I'm thinking since my cooling system is drained, if I remove the radiator, I could possibly pull it out the front . Another major component I don't really want to remove, but if its required, now is definitely the best time to change it for a new one since my system is drained. (I'm changing the thermostat as well for preventive maintenance )

Thanks for reading!

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
My old '04 crapped out on the original alternator right around 100,000 miles. I can't say I've ever heard of anybody hitting 200k on the original so since you're in there now, I'd go ahead and swap it out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
2004 3.5 Liter alternator

My private mechanic just changed out my stock alternator yesterday. Total mileage on the vehicle is 153K. He said that had to be the hardest alternator job he has ever done (and the guy is good). Had to pull the radiator and I believe also one of the pumps. Took him about 5 hours. Still less $$ than at the dealer.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Sitting at 285k kilometres or almost 200k mikes.

Replacement alternator is sitting in box on bench staring at me.

There are posts from sbr711 about the job, I think dropping sub frame enough for unit to clear subframe and not touching rad.

I agree with OP's change it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Mine didn't go until about 260,000 miles and then only after a leak in the valve cover gasket got to it.

Bruce

·
Registered
1 Posts
2003 santa fe

my santa fe alternator just went out the mileage is 205750 miles
a shop not a hyundai dealer wants $425.00 to replace it the alternator price is $130.00 included in that .
i havent checked with Hyundai yet but there Alternator price will be high.probaly around $300.00+

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with "seaguy"'s mechanic: "He said that had to be the hardest alternator job he has ever done (and the guy is good)."

I did this job for a sister that was low on cash. After all the plastic covers and shrouds were out of the way I removed the A/C compressor that is below the alternator. She said the A/C system had never worked and she'd gotten use to it. To do this I removed the upper motor mount nut near the front of the engine and the bolt and nut on the lower motor mount near the compressor. Jacked the engine until it won't move any higher up, and still had to work the alternator back and forth to come out the right wheel well. She had bought the alternator and brought it to me. The pulley was just a little bigger than stock and I was too tired to fight with it so I sent her back to the parts house with the original 47 5/8" serpentine belt and she returned with a 48 5/8" one that the tensioner tightened up just right. There are three mounts on the alternator; two of these are for long square head bolts that bite down on the alternator as you tighten the 14mm nuts on them. The other is for an offset angle bracket with two 12mm short bolts. Of course the threads on the alternator didn't want to play nice so a junk box bolt of mysterious vintage stepped up and did the job.

Yes! I would gladly pay someone $500 to do this if the occasion arises again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts