Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 2006 Sonata with the 3.3L that just started having an issue where the oil light flickers at idle, but goes off as oil pressure rises with engine rpms. Don’t have any equipment to get a specific read on the oil pressure, but obviously it’s low and the sensor is doing what it should.

Is this a common issue with the 3.3L? Had an old Cherokee 4.0L that had this particular issue and it came down to the computer reading 10psi below accurate, but I’m not at all familiar with these Lambda engines. Bear in mind, I bought the car only a month ago, and the engine was a mud motor - oil was thick as molasses when I drained it and have since drained and refilled it four times to try and get things somewhat cleared out. Oil is full even as the light comes on.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
You have to either measure the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge or replace the sensor and cross your fingers.
Given an engine with a history of lax oil changes, worn bearings are a possibility.
If the pressure is actually low it's almost certainly not a bad oil pump.
You might get along with 20w50 oil; perhaps 5w40 during cold winters..

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have to either measure the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge or replace the sensor and cross your fingers.
Given an engine with a history of lax oil changes, worn bearings are a possibility.
If the pressure is actually low it's almost certainly not a bad oil pump.
You might get along with 20w50 oil; perhaps 5w40 during cold winters..
Understood. One odd thing about it is the fact this only started today. Up until last week, I had been driving it each day in a mix of interstate and stop-and-go city traffic with no issues, but then I let it sit for a week to let some Leatherique soak into the seats, and found this problem had cropped up. Anyone think that could be indicative of anything specific?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Understood. One odd thing about it is the fact this only started today. Up until last week, I had been driving it each day in a mix of interstate and stop-and-go city traffic with no issues, but then I let it sit for a week to let some Leatherique soak into the seats, and found this problem had cropped up. Anyone think that could be indicative of anything specific?
either youre low on oil and damaged the engine, or your sensor is failing. best to get a mechanical gauge and test it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
either youre low on oil and damaged the engine, or your sensor is failing. best to get a mechanical gauge and test it.
Definitely not low on oil as previously stated, still perfectly full. Alright, I’ll get it checked out mechanically and hope maybe it’s just the same issue I had with the Cherokee. Any other ideas welcome for sure

1 - 5 of 5 Posts