Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have not used Blue Link Remote Start feature very much prior to this past week, but noticed that after the car has successfully started and been running a few minutes, that the alarm would start to beep rapidly and eventually go off. Happened 3 times (3 days) consecutively in front of my home, but no such problem when I remote started with Blue Link at two other locations yesterday.

Tried it again this morning, but decided to test a theory I had that maybe the other remote (being in the house and within range of the car) was somehow a factor. So I remote started the car but had the other remote wrapped in aluminum foil. No problems after few minutes, so I took the remote out of the foil and a couple minutes later the beeping of the alarm started. Quickly took the foil and re-covered the remote and the beeping stopped.

This is not exactly a large sample size, but could it really be that having 2 remotes within range when using Blue Link Remote Start is triggering the alarm?

Am going to further test at work today. Brought both remotes with me.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Never heard of that before. You get the wierd award! :p

·
Registered
56 Posts
Send video. You mean the alarm? Maybe the button got stuck on the FOB and drained the batteries in the remote; the car starts and the signal gets boosted.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To my knowledge the batteries in both remotes are not weak.

The alarm starts to go off SOMETIMES if Blue Link was used to remote start the car and the other remote is relatively nearby (I.e. in the home). It doesn’t happen every time, but so far never has happened if the other remote is far away or wrapped in foil.

When it does happen is a few minutes into the start. Not right away.

It sounds crazy to me too. All I can think of is that the car sometimes detects the other remote and instead of realizing it’s the first remote’s twin, thinks it’s for another vehicle or is an attempted clone or ... I don’t know. It’s bizarre. But at least 75% of the time, if the 2nd remote is close by, it happens.

Never had happened when only one remote is in the area.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Love that Hyundai TV commercial with this couple on the beach using their remote start to switch on the AC. What a waste of gas!

Wife and I love to go to the beach, but not to sit in the hot sun, we can do this in our front yard, we go to swim, soaking wet, evaporates and we are cold, so looking for something warm to get into.

Did load that app just to make sure it works, but never used it. Rather get into my Limited and start it, and make sure all those warning lights on the dash go out. One problem we have with two remotes, wife has a small pocket purse with her smart key in it, if she leaves that in the car, we cannot lock it. Ha, a problem with women's clothes, no pockets.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Slight amendment of my original post here. Am not sure that the alarm is actually going off after Blue Link remote start. It DID a couple of times, but I was IN the car testing the procedure and I think my being in the car confuses the system. It's expecting the door to be opened at some point in the sequence of events that starts once you've ordered a remote start, and if that doesn't happen and you're already in the car, it thinks you're trying to steal your own car. Actually kind of smart... but a little too much so.

But am definitely hearing 8-10 rapid beeps after the remote start and they are similar to what you hear just before your alarm does go off. So the Blue Link system or the car is trying to tell me something. But I don't know what those beeps mean.

Anyone speak "blue link" or "Hyundai"?

·
Registered
982 Posts
That makes sense. Seems to me a previous vehicle I had with a remote start acted strangely if you did the remote start when you were in the car, or something like that. I do recall that if you started the vehicle, and then got in, that you had to hit the Start/Stop button again to be able to shift and drive it. I don't remember what happened if you hit the remote start when you were already in the car. Let us know if it does anything funny when you're NOT in the car.
(BTW I no longer have the remote start--I think it's ridiculous to require me to pay a monthly fee to be able to do this.)

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
That makes sense. Seems to me a previous vehicle I had with a remote start acted strangely if you did the remote start when you were in the car, or something like that. I do recall that if you started the vehicle, and then got in, that you had to hit the Start/Stop button again to be able to shift and drive it. I don't remember what happened if you hit the remote start when you were already in the car. Let us know if it does anything funny when you're NOT in the car.
(BTW I no longer have the remote start--I think it's ridiculous to require me to pay a monthly fee to be able to do this.)
Its only $297.00 per year, not sure if sales tax is extra. But 297 here and there can really add up at the end of the year. Can darn near double this with a map update.

Never thought about using remote start when I was inside the car.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Just to clarify.... The 8-10 rapid beeps ARE happening when no one is in the car. The alarm going off only happened when I was in the car and testing the process.

The car has two different remote start methods:

1) The Blue Link method, which does not require anything special to happen once you're in the car. As soon as you open the door and get in, the lights stop flashing and the car's controls are turned over to the driver.

2) The Viper Remote Start was added a few days after delivery because I didn't want to be dependent on the Blue Link system when the 3 year free trial runs out. If I like it and am willing to pay the $300 or whatever for the other features as well as remote start, that's fine. But this way I will not lose the ability to remote start if I decide to let the Blue Link lapse. This method is as you described. After the car has been started remotely with the push-button remote, and you open the door and get in, you push the ignition button once, and then again when an indicator shows up on the dash. If you do it wrong.... the alarm goes off and you cant even get it to stop with the remote.

Coming full circle.... I don't NEED Blue Link to remote start the car, but am still in the "it's a brand new car and this should work properly" or "why the heck is it doing that, and will I have to live with it for ever" phase. So... given that mindset, I need to know why the car is beeping rapidly a few minutes into a remote start via the Blue Link method. It is NOT doing that when started with the Viper add on component **.

** However, when I was in the "testing phase' with the Viper remote start and was sitting in the car during a test, it freaked out and set off full alarm.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Further Update:

The alarm IS going off (after the rapid beeps) when car is started with Bluelink and the other remote is in the vicinity (and not encased in aluminum foil). Since this did not happen prior to the Viper Alarm being added when the car was about a week old, am thinking it's more likely the alarm not allowing for the Blue Link remote start not being an attempt to steal the car.

Probably the alarm installer I need to go to for that..... ?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Resolved. After 2 trips back to the installer, they added some kind of relay that cuts off the motion sensor when BlueLink is used to remote start the car, and is ok now.

Don’t know why they didn’t do that in the first place, but not worth alienating the installers in case I need them at a later time.

Problem solved, though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts