Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only been up I-26 about 17 miles so far with my newly acquired '14 Elantra. I was watching the MPG on the computer, hoping to see it go up into the mid 30s on the highway but it only got to about 29 MPG. Why is that? I set the cruise control for 65 MPG.

I ran a K&N air filter in my 2003 Sentra XE and I liked it a lot. I got about 30 around town with it and the K&N didn't affect the MPG much if I remember right. It gave the car more power and it breathed better. I may get a K&N for this car too bc I already have the K&N filter cleaner and filter oil.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Did You reset to mpg, meter? If the car has only been a city driver, it might need "cleaned out", get on the highway, and punch it! You'll probably see a James bond, like cloud of smoke, out the back, but don't worry about it. Just try not to blind ,anyone behind you.
Also make sure your tires aren't low on air, check the rear calipers for sticking. (Jack up the rear, and see how freely the wheel spins)

·
Registered
379 Posts
First off a K&N filter lets in way too much dirt into a motor to be worth it for a daily driver. A race car it makes sense, even though in a race car you can just get a larger and there by a higher flowing better cleaning non oil based synthetic media and higher flowing filter that wont allow dirt to be ingested into you motor and then into your motor oil.

As far as mileage, to get an accurate hyw mileage, check tire pressures, get a new regular style paper or even better synthetic non oiled air filter, fill you tank, limp onto a interstate hyw, get up to 60mph and drive nonstop till run out of gas. You are allowed 1 bathroom stop and you need to put it in neutral right before you hit the exit ramp and find a gas station s close to the exit and on ramp as you can. That's how to get an accurate hyw mileage, any other way and it will be very inaccurate.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reset the MPG? I didn't know I could. Are you being sarcastic?

I got nitrogen in my tires and a 4 way alignment a few days after I got the Elantra.
It has close to new Hankook Optimo tires.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks but I don't think I need to know my MPGs that bad. I seldom leave town.
I go to the dentist 18 miles away about 1x a month.
I'll just reset the Tripmeter A when I refill with gas and write it down to figure it out with a calculator.
I have a hunch I'm getting 1 or 2 MPG less than I got with my Sentra and if that's so, I'm OK with that.
I love my Elantra.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Reset the MPG? I didn't know I could.
This is from the owners manual page 4-57 on the Trip Computer

Average fuel economy (if equipped)
(MPG or l/100 km)
This mode calculates the average
fuel consumption from the total fuel
used and the distance since the last
average economy reset. The total
fuel used is calculated from the fuel
consumption input. For an accurate
calculation, drive more than 0.03
miles (50 m).
Pressing the RESET button for more
than 1 second, when the average fuel
economy is being displayed, clears
the average fuel consumption to zero
If the vehicle speed exceeds 1.6
MPH (1km/h) after being refueled
with more than 1.6 gallons (6 l), the
average fuel economy will be cleared
to zero (----).

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
i reset every fillup. the computer is over actual mpg about 7%. but it is the driver, too. my wife drives the grey car, and she gets about 3mpg less than i do in the blue car. we drive about 95% city, and the cars get 27-31 mpg consistently.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Reset the MPG? I didn't know I could. Are you being sarcastic?

I got nitrogen in my tires and a 4 way alignment a few days after I got the Elantra.
It has close to new Hankook Optimo tires.
Not being sarcastic. When the dash is showing the mpgs, hold the reset button down, on the steering wheel. It will reset, and start a new avg mpg. It will also reset, on its own, when you fill the gas tank.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK thanks. I reset it today and saw it go up to 32 MPG around town then it came back down to around the 28 MPG area.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I filled up the gas tank today about driving 255 miles since the last fill up. Shucks, it took almost 10 gallons and I'm only getting 25.5 MPG around town. I expect that to improve some when warmer weather gets here, but I doubt it improves much. I might get up to 27 or so MPG around town. I'm kind of discouraged. I really wish I'd kept my other two cars,. I needed this car like I needed a boot in the rear. I had two well maintained perfectly running cars, both that got 30 MPG around town.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's hard to fathom how some people only get 22-23 around town and people get 35 - 50 MPG on the highway. How is that possible?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Boy this having to log in again after being idle a few minutes is a PITN.

I just lost my typed reply and I'm not an expert typist.

I was going to try out a '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE with 60k but it's probably not as good of a car as a Hyundai. It has a 3 cyl 1.2L, supposed to get 45 MPH highway, 34 city.

Maybe I'll swap it for a nice used Accent later on, or maybe I won't.
The Elantra rides nice and it seems good to drive a bigger car.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I filled up the gas tank today about driving 255 miles since the last fill up. Shucks, it took almost 10 gallons and I'm only getting 25.5 MPG around town. I expect that to improve some when warmer weather gets here, but I doubt it improves much. I might get up to 27 or so MPG around town. I'm kind of discouraged. I really wish I'd kept my other two cars,. I needed this car like I needed a boot in the rear. I had two well maintained perfectly running cars, both that got 30 MPG around town.
The Elantra is rated at up to 28 city and 38 highway.
If you're getting 25.5 city, you're not too far off. Sounds like everything is as advertised.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If I drive it differently I might be able to get better MPGs.
I can keep an eye on the Avg MPG meter and see if I can turn that into a reality.
It often says I'm averaging 27-28 MPG.
If I keep the meter in that range most of the time by not gunning the gas, I should be able to get that MPG all the time.
It's only a few bucks more more month in fuel costs but my point is that I don't have to drive like a teenager any more at age 66 and if I can get 28 MPG around town I might as well try to get it.

Some people in other thread say they can get 40-50 MPG on trips.
I find that a little hard to believe.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
40mpg highway is within reach for any of the MD Elantras with some basics...
1 - OEM tires or at least tires that are rated as "low rolling resistance", with plenty of air in them. Running tires at 30psi for a smoother ride will ding the mpg number a little.
2 - Keep to the speed limit. The mpg number falls steadily once you're beyond 65mph (105kmh).
3 - Keep off the brake pedal and learn to coast. Coast means keeping your feet off the pedal and the gearshift in Drive. Don't race up to the car ahead and then step on the brake, but look ahead, anticipate slowdowns, and let momentum carry you.
4 - At steady speeds on level ground, lift your foot a little on the pedal. Use the minimum pressure needed to maintain speed. The difference in mpg can be impressive.

Remember that cold temperatures and winter gas destroy fuel economy. I can get the Elantra down to 11-13mpg during warmup in single digit temps with snow on the ground and the defroster on high. Hilly terrain can hurt - especially if you use cruise control. Most poor mpg complaints come from people who live in the mountains and use cruise control.

When "hand calculating" mpg as miles driven divided by gallons added, remember the odometer is 3-4% low, depending on tire/trim combination. When you drive 100 miles, the odometer only reads 96.4-97.1 (for fun, compare trip odo to mile markers on your next long trip), so multiply the mpg number you get by 1.03 to make it closer to reality.

·
Registered
369 Posts
When I had my 16 I was usually pulling 30 mpg in the city and that was with me using manual mode and driving it pretty hard lol.

When I drove it 500 miles to MD I got 44 mpg highway on the way up and back.

So it’s doable. Also remember the factory MPG meter is off by about 3 on the MDs IIRC. So hand calc each tank if you want to be accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
It's hard to fathom how some people only get 22-23 around town and people get 35 - 50 MPG on the highway. How is that possible?

These cars are REALLY susceptible to cold weather! I have NEVER had a car that dropped so many MPGs as my Accent when it gets cold!

I suspect the "Save the planet" winter fuel mixtures now have something to do with it, too...

Reactions: Joseph Rz

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Yes winter kills my mpgs!
In the summer I can get low 40s on the highway,if I keep it around 65mph. The more you go over 65, the worse your milage will get.
The only way you'll get 50mpg in these cars is 100 miles downhill, with a tailwind! ??

1 - 20 of 23 Posts