Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys and gals,

I have a 2011 Sonata 2.0T that is otherwise all stock. I've been trying to replace all of the exterior lights with led bulbs and the ease and results have been lackluster at best.

For the 2357 rear brake light bulb, I've tried two different LED bulbs off of amazon - one CANBUS compatible AGT and the other non-CANBUS Orion Technologies. Both times, when the bulb is placed in the socket, it does not light up.

There is also a small amount of smoke that is emitted, and it leaves the connection hot and smelling like burnt plastic.

What is it with the 2357 led bulb and socket? I'm now going to try Lumen PlaZma series from CarID.com, which are more expensive but don't look like cheap chinese brands.

Does anyone have any experience with replacing LED exterior bulbs? I prefer CANBUS error-free bulbs, as I do not want to install load resistors or change flash relays. Is this even a problem with non turn-signals?

Any advice would help. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Resistors are not needed for the running, or stop bulbs on the Sonata. This is the 2357 function, both running and stop. Backup LED's are OK without resistors. Turn signals bulbs will require resistors, front and back, each bulb.

I purchased my 2357 bulbs from V-LED.com and they have worked without fault for about 2 years. At V-LED.com the LEDs are rated by how much output they generate. The brighter, the higher number. Number 5 is the highest rated but you pay for it. The 5 rated bulbs sell quickly as they are often out of stock. Check out the site and you will understand the rating system and the pricing. You want bright LED's, they have them.

I'm quite sure you will still need the resistors on the Sonata for the canbus bulbs as they are designed to eliminate the bulb failure function some autos have. They will not prevent LED quick flashing caused by low resistance of the LED.

Some of the cheaper bulbs will not fit the US bulb sockets. Amazon should permit return of the bulbs for refund if the purchase is recent. Everything at V-LED is covered for one year.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hello guys and gals,

I have a 2011 Sonata 2.0T that is otherwise all stock. I've been trying to replace all of the exterior lights with led bulbs and the ease and results have been lackluster at best.

For the 2357 rear brake light bulb, I've tried two different LED bulbs off of amazon - one CANBUS compatible AGT and the other non-CANBUS Orion Technologies. Both times, when the bulb is placed in the socket, it does not light up.

There is also a small amount of smoke that is emitted, and it leaves the connection hot and smelling like burnt plastic.

What is it with the 2357 led bulb and socket? I'm now going to try Lumen PlaZma series from CarID.com, which are more expensive but don't look like cheap chinese brands.

Does anyone have any experience with replacing LED exterior bulbs? I prefer CANBUS error-free bulbs, as I do not want to install load resistors or change flash relays. Is this even a problem with non turn-signals?

Any advice would help. Thanks in advance.

try to flip the Canbus/or Non Canbus other way around, [180 degreees].. they usually work after you flip them the other way

i've installed dozens of LEDs in my previous cars and usually they work on first insert, if not flip em around

i just ordered some canbus leds, from china.. waiting for them to come in myself :)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Sonatas do not need Canbus bulbs. Most bulb suppliers will caution buyers NOT to use Canbus bulbs in non-Canbus applications. This is good advice.

Load resistors for turn signals need only be installed on the LEFT and RIGHT side, and can be install on in the front OR the back-- if you have them on the front, you do not need them on the back. Load resistor are a MUST-- but you can get LED bulbs with internal resistors. YF Sonatas do not have a replaceable "flasher" for the turn signals/4-way . . .

Was this smoke and order coming from the actual LED bulb? I had a set like that-- it was just the assembly glue MELTING and they bulb assembly literally fell apart!!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Rick-F,

Not doubting your experience but on my Sonata I installed resistors on the rear LED turn signal bulbs first. Later by a few months I decided to install LED's on the front turn signals and they quick flashed until resistors were installed. Just my experience on one Sonata.

I tried to say Cambus bulbs were not needed on the Sonata but no one was listening. You may have worded it better.

Many of the LED's for sale now are wired internally where they do not require rotating 180 degrees. If they don't work, rotate, if still not working they are bad or a bad connection. Some LED's are made so cheap they do not fit tight enough or misalign with the terminal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rick F and all, thanks for the thoughts. The smoke looked like it was coming from the bulb itself. Also, the bulbs now smell like burnt plastic and lingers on the bulbs. Probably just cheap bulbs, but I've tried a pricey one (the Orion Techs) and a cheap (the AGT), both with same results.

I really don't want to go through hassle of installing load resistors as I'm not very mechanically inclined and would rather not have another component installed that could fail. The problem with CANBUS/built in load resistor products is that it is really tough to find 2357s with build in resistors that are non-CANBUS. Even most vendors' descriptions are confusing and vague about CANBUS/built in resistors/etc.

I have found a pair (the Lumen plaZma series from carID.com) that claims built in load resistors and CANBUS compatible. Is there a risk of major damage from installing CANBUS bulbs in the non-CANBUS YF Sonata?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
For the Brake/Tail light application, NO load resister is needed. A load resister is ONLY needed on the turn signal application.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Rick-F. I'm also looking for 2357 for the front turn signals as well. Separate question - Do LED 2357s for the brake lights replace the "dual filament" of incandescent bulbs? That is, do they light up slightly dimmer when just turned on, and then light up brighter when the brakes are applied?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Yes to your question. On for running lights, brighter when braking. There are 2 power wires. running lights, brake lights.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For the Brake/Tail light application, NO load resister is needed. A load resister is ONLY needed on the turn signal application.
Rick F,

I had to wait for a second 2357 brake light to arrive so had installed driver side LED and passenger side incandescent while waiting, with no problems. After the right side LED bulb arrived, I installed it, and the high mount brake light remains on when parking lights are on (without stepping on the brake)! Know you said load resistors aren't required for the brake lights, but have any thoughts on this problem?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Well, this should not be happening. I have led's in my running, and stop rear lights without resistors and this is not occurring on my Sonata. I suspect that somehow your wiring is crossed. You are feeding running light power to the high mount brake light. Check your wiring and what has been done to the auto. There is a problem with your wiring or if you installed them, can bus bulbs may be causing a problem. They should not be used.

The can bus bulbs have a resistor built in that is for light failure systems on some autos. It is not a resistor to stop the led quick flash issue. See the attached reference from a sales house. I don't know what using canbus bulbs would do in a Sonata but I do know they should not be used.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/festoon-series-bulbs/578-led-can-bus-bulb--1-led-festoon/1264/2937/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bobb,

There are no other mods on the car besides front turn signal resistors and LED bulbs swapped out. The vendor's tech help told me that the low resistance may be causing some "leakage" to the high mount and causing it to stay on. The 2357 swapped LEDs also stay in "brake" mode lit up brighter. The bulbs are CANBUS compatible, but not sure that would cause a problem.

All this for bulbs that are no brighter than the stock halogens (2357s are rated at 320 lumens). This has been a tremendous pain in the ass.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Did you read the reference I sent about the fact can bus bulbs should not be used in an auto that does not have the can bus system. I feel you should invest in some standard led bulbs (not can bus bulbs) and the problem your having will go away. If you want bright led's (like most people) they are not cheap. Expect to pay a pretty penny.

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
be careful where you get your led bulbs

These were my cheap ebay 120 led bulbs ...both bulbs melted at the base and fell in ... lesson learned..buy from reputable dealers!!
(I was on a road trip and bought stock ones at the next town)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
All this for bulbs that are no brighter than the stock halogens (2357s are rated at 320 lumens). This has been a tremendous pain in the ass.
I have LED Tail/Brake , Turn Signal Rear, Front Turn/Parking Light, Reverse Lights-- and ALL are brighter than the stock bulbs. However, as other have said, be prepared to spend some bucks-- instead of a $2 for the incandescent bulb, your looking at $20+ (per bulb) if you want good quality, BRIGHT LEDs.

The LEDs for the license plate are actually NOT as bright as the original-- but that is fine with me-- I just want the plate illuminated not the entire back of the car. These are the same as the rear side marker bulbs. I bought 20 for less than $8. I used 4 of them.

And your Turn, Brake, Tail bulbs are NOT halogen-- your headlight and fog lights are halogen. (I have 1200 lumen H11/H8 LED fogs too).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts