Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Ive struggled to find someone who tried this, so I thought Id post it here for those wondering whether this would work. I bought 4 new tyres yesterday for my Hyundai Tucson 1.6tgdi elite. The stock tyres are 245/45 R19.
I bought 235/55 R19. I trust they will not scratch. I'll have them fitted tomorrow and update you guys on the results. My intention is to have a softer ride, since the car is a bit hard on the road.
Please reply if someone did this before.
Thank you

·
Registered
198 Posts
Keep in mind that with the new tyres your speedometer will now read apx 5% different. 100kph/60mph indicated will be 105/63 actual.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The new tyres are about 2cm bigger in radius which is quite a lot. They look even bigger in the photo but I guess the old tyres are worn dow? You need to make sure that the tyres don't catch anywhere under any conditions. In Germany, the law allows 2% changes to radius, etc. We would not be allowed to do what you are planning unless the manufacturer has had the combination certified. The other problem you might encounter is that the ABS calibration is no longer as accurate as it is for the correct sized tyres. As said before, your speedo will read lower for the same real speed. The gearing goes up so acceleration will go down a bit but it will probably feel more refined.

To be perfectly honest, a better solution would have been to go with the 17" wheels and 225/60-17 tyres as the car is very comfortable with that combination (more sidewall and a lighter combination). It is not the type of car that needs low-profile sporty tyres :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The new tyres are about 2cm bigger in radius which is quite a lot. They look even bigger in the photo but I guess the old tyres are worn dow? You need to make sure that the tyres don't catch anywhere under any conditions. In Germany, the law allows 2% changes to radius, etc. We would not be allowed to do what you are planning unless the manufacturer has had the combination certified. The other problem you might encounter is that the ABS calibration is no longer as accurate as it is for the correct sized tyres. As said before, your speedo will read lower for the same real speed. The gearing goes up so acceleration will go down a bit but it will probably feel more refined.

To be perfectly honest, a better solution would have been to go with the 17" wheels and 225/60-17 tyres as the car is very comfortable with that combination (more sidewall and a lighter combination). It is not the type of car that needs low-profile sporty tyres :)
I fully agree with your input. Thank you for your advice. I also wanted to go with 16s and some all terrain tyres. Our road ways are in a terrible state where we live. And in South Africa the rule is simple. The treat on your tyres must be within law requirements.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I think there was someone here that did something similiar a while back.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My other car is a compact sport coupe and people go from 35 to 40 side wall and are just fine. With the extra clearance on the CUV I doubt you'll have any issue as long as your doing all 4.

Always the same reason, poor road conditions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The car looks remarkably higher. I have a 100km trip back home. So I'll send another post once I arrived at home after the drive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It runs much softer. On the bad bumps it feels more like a truck/bakkie. I drove it quite aggressively on some spots to test the grip. Tcs light came on at one certain corner where it did not at the same speed with old tyres. They tend to squeek when you drive fast into a corner. Its not my normal style of driving, but I had to test them to know the limit.
Conclusion. I don't regret buying these tyres at this profile at all! Much smoother ride.
I'll recommend this on a Tucson if you have 19" rims and wish to have a smoother ride by going lager on the profile.

100kph on speedo is now 101kph actual.
130kph is now 135kph actual.

I hope this helps someone in the future.
Thanks every on for all your inputs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts