Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm tossing the idea around about getting a set of rims on my SE I love the stock 18's but I guess I'm looking for something to spend my money on.

What I've come across is 2 wheels that I really like one is hypersilver and the other is chrome. Also both are available in 20" size and would be outfitted with a 235/35-20 tire.

The first is the TSW Jarama in hypersilver this is the rim that is also available in 22" and based on the fitment guide on the website it says it will fit with a 245/30-22 but I'm not sure if 22" rims would be too big and make the car look... well Ghetto or would it look hott...

Here is the pic:

[attachment=22303:tsw_jarama_hs_2_W.jpg]

The second rim is the Devino Flawless in chrome and is only available in 20" I'm not sure if I should go with chrome but since it is the SE it has the chrome door handles and grille it might not look bad.

Here is the pic:

[attachment=22304:Devino_7...Chrome_2.jpg]

Please give me your honest opinion on the size and the rim choice I won't get my feelings hurt. This is just in the thinking stage so if I don't get good feedback then I might just scrap the whole idea. Thanks ahead of time

-Drew

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hope you enjoy a jarring ride.
Those will be like driving around on some rubber bands wrapped around the wheel.
Sounds foolish, but I'm an old geezer.

·
Registered
945 Posts
QUOTE (Mr.Wonderful @ Jan 10 2011, 10:54 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=389097
Hope you enjoy a jarring ride.
Those will be like driving around on some rubber bands wrapped around the wheel.
Sounds foolish, but I'm an old geezer.
LOL! :grin: You are right. People have said on this site and complained that the ride is stiff and rough with 18's. Putting 20's or 22's will just intesify but hey it's his car. These cars look better with spokes closer together like the Red car on your signature Drew. I know those are the Hyper 18's but a five spoke wheel with lots of space between the spokes in a 22 wouldnt look quite as nice. But again thats just me. You obviously like em and you have to go with what you like. If the wheels get too big though, the car looks ghetto, but maybe you like that look, if so go for it!

·
Registered
61 Posts
QUOTE (SExy__Sonata @ Jan 10 2011, 04:46 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=389091
I'm tossing the idea around about getting a set of rims on my SE I love the stock 18's but I guess I'm looking for something to spend my money on.

What I've come across is 2 wheels that I really like one is hypersilver and the other is chrome. Also both are available in 20" size and would be outfitted with a 235/35-20 tire.

The first is the TSW Jarama in hypersilver this is the rim that is also available in 22" and based on the fitment guide on the website it says it will fit with a 245/30-22 but I'm not sure if 22" rims would be too big and make the car look... well Ghetto or would it look hott...

Here is the pic:

[attachment=22303:tsw_jarama_hs_2_W.jpg]

The second rim is the Devino Flawless in chrome and is only available in 20" I'm not sure if I should go with chrome but since it is the SE it has the chrome door handles and grille it might not look bad.

Here is the pic:

[attachment=22304:Devino_7...Chrome_2.jpg]

Please give me your honest opinion on the size and the rim choice I won't get my feelings hurt. This is just in the thinking stage so if I don't get good feedback then I might just scrap the whole idea. Thanks ahead of time

-Drew
Hi Drew,

I would not get 22" rims to me it wouldn't look right. The tire would be way to thin. I like the TSW Jarama in hyper silver that would be my choice in 20" of course. The 20"s I have seem to be a perfect fit, I wish I could fit a higher series tire though like 235-45-20 then it would be perfect for my taste.

The car lends itself to bigger wheels because the car itself has large wheel wells. I would like to see what the car looks like with 22" wheels, but I think overall for ride quality etc 20"s would be the biggest that you should consider.

Good luck with your rims and please post pictures. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I think the outside diameter of the stock TIRE is about 26". Either one of those wheels wont be leaving much for a sidewall. I agree that big gaps between spokes looks a bit ghetto. Maybe a little like a motorcycle. Yeah, I've had a few birthdays too...

·
Registered
990 Posts
I have 20"s on my older gen sonata the NF and they look great but even with 20"s there is still going to be a gap between the top of the tire and the fender as much as i love my 20"s i won’t be getting new ones again will be going with ether 18"s or 19"s with a nice tire and lowering springs they would help make the rim look a little bigger since the car is dropped and gets rid of the ugly wheel gap. I’m attaching a picture of my NF sonata with my 20"s my lowering springs should be on hopefully within a month and the ugly gap will be gone... The ride is harsh but drivable but you do have to watch out for all potholes anything in the road. and i take my 20"s off around the 1st week of September and put them back on around march I’ve gotten 2 summer seasons out of them and I’ll get this last summer season out of them and then the tires will be done and ill end up selling these and getting a lower size rim.

I would only get 22"s on a car if it was my Saturday car meaning i would only take it out 1 day a week if not 1 day a month the ride would be like driving a Flintstones car as it would be like the previous post driving on rubber bands...

In my having my 20"s on for 2 summer seasons I’ve gotten flat spots in 3 out of the 4 rims luckily i have friends that work at dealers and they hook me up with their rim guy and he fixes it no problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
945 Posts
I forgot to mention because some guys I know have experienced this, when you go to a big wheel and super low profile tires the wheel is prone to damage, bent rims and cracking due to hitting things on the road or pot holes etc., and it is very expensive to repair if at all. There is no give in the sidewall and like Mr. Wonderful mentioned, the ride is going to be terrible.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Those wheels with widely spaced spokes, especially in 20 or 22, will make the brakes look tiny. Imho, aftermarket wheels on a relatively inexpensive car like this looks a liitle "try hard" and "fast & furious-ish".

·
Registered
44 Posts
if it were my only car and it snowed more than once every 2 years in the last 10 years or if it rains a lot i would not suggest either. but 22's would be tight!

snowing in my city 3 people with dubbed out cars hit curbs. i only drove 30 miles on the major streets.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have 20's and i had clearance problems in the beginning and had to go down to a 225/35/20 so that it wouldnt rub...if you find 22's that were narrow enough, and got the correct offset and small tires i guess it could be done, but it's going to be a chore

·
Registered
41 Posts
QUOTE (rcweimer @ Jan 12 2011, 11:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=390308
I have 20's and i had clearance problems in the beginning and had to go down to a 225/35/20 so that it wouldnt rub...if you find 22's that were narrow enough, and got the correct offset and small tires i guess it could be done, but it's going to be a chore
rcweimer

Whats your wheel offset and how wide are they please?

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
IMHO i prefer real tires instead of rubber bands for tires... 18 is max for me, but if its a toss up between the 20 and 22" go with the 20.

·
Registered
250 Posts
lol-out of all the self conscious "old geezers", I'm probably one of the oldest :unsure: but if I were so inclined, I would go with the 20's and then lower the car to get rid of the gap (kinda like some of the Korean Sonatas on the sites that sell parts). Some of those cars look HOT!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
QUOTE (eyecue @ Mar 21 2011, 12:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=418511
I'd go with 20's but it's your car, do what you want.
+1...always do what you want and don't let someone elses opnion about 5 star wheels vs. multi-spoke wheels dictate how you spend you money since that's all personal preference...you have to be happy since it's "YOUR CAR" and if you like the 5 star, go with it.

I have 5 star 20's just like Smooth1 but a different type of wheel and they look great. Everyone has a different taste and some may think multi-spokes look better on the car, but both types look good on the car, it's just the look you are trying to acheive.

5 star wheels will give a more sportier agressive look, especially when the car is lowered and multi-spokes will give a more OEM/neutral type of look since most car manufacturer's are putting out their wheels in multi-spoke designs these days....

But I would agree with most, 22's are a lttle too big and you may run into rubbing issues along with a look that may be a little ghetto...that "wagon wheel" look with rubber bands on them, not to mention the higher chance of getting flat tires and denting the wheel on pot holes.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts