Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
So my wheels are 205/55/16, but the 205/60/16 tires are $70 cheaper (yes, that's right, the larger tire is cheaper!).
So my question is, would the 205/60/16 fit on my wheels, and are there any adverse effects? Would my odometer reading be off, and would my mileage increase faster?
Thanks.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it would fit fine?
And would it make my mileage measurement go up faster too?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yes it will fit. Rule of thumb. If your speedometer goes up, your mileage will go up faster as well.

As the example rickd1 used. For every 100 km's you drive, your car will show 103km's. Will notice this over time? probably not.

btw, are these for winter tires?

·
Registered
171 Posts
why not buy either steel rims, or another set of alloys, and slap on some 195/65/15 (15" tires)?

15's are usually cheaper, and going -1 size is usually recommended for winter tires.

·
Registered
639 Posts
The "larger" tire is cheaper because the lower profile of 55 series is more costly. Lower profile generally means stiffer sidewalls and thus more $.

·
22,788 Posts
And to illustrate Randy's point, above, take us unfortunate guys sporting the Limited's 17's. Running 45's. Cha-ching. Can you say "ouch" at the cash register?

Care to guess what "stiffer" sidewalls do for the ride? Well, I'm basing this on my Continental ContiPro Contact 215/45R/17's. Can't wait to wear them out and get something with a little extra "cush" in the sidewall and a lot less "road roar" in the tread. OEM cheapies. They've held up, pretty well. Considering. But had I bought a set of these and put them on my car, not knowing? I would've been livid and cussed myself out for the next several months.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
my Continental ContiPro Contact 215/45R/17's. Can't wait to wear them out and get something with a little extra "cush"......
Because I came from decades of smaller cars, I really like my 205/55/16 wheels & tires on my Elantra sedan, to the extent that I'm still pleased with the ride even at 40psi tire pressures. I must say my old Caliber was pleasant with 205/78/15's. But, in the few months I had them before the Caliber trade-in, my stunning Craigslist find of four 215/225/70/17 wheels & tires (no need of balancing & $50!!!!!) felt delectable, even at 90mph.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If your speedometer goes up, your mileage will go up faster as well.

As the example rickd1 used. For every 100 km's you drive, your car will show 103km's. Will notice this over time? probably not.
Just correcting for future readers.

Driving with taller than stock tires= LESS mileage shown on odometer than what you actually traveled. For example: Point A to point B is 100 miles, your odometer says it was 98 because of the taller tires.

Driving with shorter than stock tires= MORE mileage shown on odometer than what you actually traveled. For example: Point A to point B is 100 miles, your odometer says it was 102 because of the shorter tires.

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Just correcting for future readers.

Driving with taller than stock tires= LESS mileage shown on odometer than what you actually traveled. For example: Point A to point B is 100 miles, your odometer says it was 98 because of the taller tires.

Driving with shorter than stock tires= MORE mileage shown on odometer than what you actually traveled. For example: Point A to point B is 100 miles, your odometer says it was 102 because of the shorter tires.

This is correct. I got my speedometer to read correctly by going to a 1" taller tire. It was reading 2 mph fast, now it read very close to what the GPS says. Odo is slower and the ECU speed is slower though.

The 205/60s would be about .8" taller and the when the speedo reads 60 you will be going almost 62.

Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

·
Registered
417 Posts
Just noting for future readers (as they say)
The 205/60s would be about .8" taller and the when the speedo reads 60 you will be going almost 62.
True, when you compare new vs new tires.
But by the time those 205/60's are worn and ready for to be replaced, with the speedo reading 60 MPH, you will actully be doing pretty darn close to 60 MPH, Virtually the same as new 205/55's.

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Just noting for future readers (as they say) True, when you compare new vs new tires.
But by the time those 205/60's are worn and ready for to be replaced, with the speedo reading 60 MPH, you will actully be doing pretty darn close to 60 MPH, Virtually the same as new 205/55's.

Well yes until the 205/55s wear down to the same level.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Pirelli P7 P205/60R16

I just replaced my original Hankook P205/55R16 tires with a set of Pirelli P7 P205/60R16s. There have been no clearance problems what-so-ever, however I didn't get the reduction in tire noise and impact harshness I expected from the reviews. I seem to have lower noise on smooth surfaces, but higher noise on coarse aggregate pavement. The fuel economy impact is harder to pin down. With the Hankooks the odometer read 2% low. It now appears to be about 7% low. So far my urban/suburban mileage appears to have dropped a couple of miles per gallon correcting for the odometer error- about 35 mpg, as opposed to 37 mpg. My highway mileage seems to have dropped from 42 mpg to 40. My 2012 GLS has the manual transmission and most of my highway driving is at 60 to 70 mph.
I probably shouldn't have replaced the Hankooks so soon, as at 33K miles they still had 60% tread, but I was hoping for ride and noise improvements. I do notice an improvement in wet traction, with no noticeable loss in dry handling, but those of you expecting a big improvement in tire noise may be disappointed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts