Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know, there are other posts about this and I've held off posting for a couple weeks. I have googled, and searched here and done every trick offered to get the lock/unlock function on the door handle to work but man, no luck. Once in a while I can get the unlock to work. I got the car in May and had no issues with this up until probably the beginning of December. All of a sudden, doesn't work anymore. I can NEVER get it to lock - I've tried the back of my hand, holding my finger in the indent, swiping across the indent, just everything. I do not hold the handle when trying to lock so I'm not confusing the car. Same thing with unlocking, I simply put my hand in the handle like I'm going to open the door and nothing. The approach light does come on. I was for sure it was user error so had my husband try and doesn't work for him either. I've tried from the passenger side instead of drivers side, nope. What am I doing wrong and why did it start all of a sudden? IS there a sensor or something that may be bad? I hope to go in for an oil change within the next month and will tell them about it but I can only assume I'll be told it's me.
Any ideas? It's driving me out of my mind, especially on cold blowy days. :(

· Registered
Limited PHEV, Quartz White with grey interior
428 Posts
I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one with a magnetic personality that messes up the touch locks.

There are a variety of suggestions in this Santa Cruz thread, but it sounds like you've tried most/all of them.

One suggestion that you may not have tried is changing the battery in the key fob. The car has to sense the key fob being in proximity, and if the battery is weak it might not be able to do so. The fact that your experience changed with time (and maybe temperature) might support this possibility.

· Registered
239 Posts
Once or twice on my '23 Tucson, but more often on the unlock function. And have to assume batteries are ok, remote is only a few months old. One of these days, head to the dealer I guess.

· Registered
Limited PHEV, Quartz White with grey interior
428 Posts
Just for grins I pulled and replaced the (CR2032) battery in my fob. The old battery read 3.0 volts. You are supposed to test with a 1000 ohm load, but consensus of Internet wisdom is with no load and 3.0 volts the battery is at least suspect if not dead. The new battery read 3.28 volts with no load.

One comment in the SC thread said that the batteries in both of their fobs were dead when the vehicle was only a few weeks old.

No plans to go out tonight, but I'll post my experience over the next few days.

Side note - I've also noticed problems when I happen to have my cellphone in my front pocket and the phone is between the fob and car.

· Registered
239 Posts
One comment on the SC does not make a truth.

Just tested a new 2032 Energizer; 3.10V. I did not test the car remote, didn't want to take off the protective case; but did test a 2032 in my home alarm remote and it is about a year old and it shows 3.03 and works great. And it is used every time I leave the house as well as when I return. (But time to get another 2032.)

This time of the year, when outside the phone is in my top coat pocket or my shirt pocket; summer, in my back pocket. Sometimes my switchblade is in the pocket; however, not too often.

And I should note, one reason I do not think it is the remote, is the light on the back of the handle turns On; therefore, that should confirm that remote is communicating to the vehicle, it is the handle that is not unlocking with my hand.

· Registered
2022 Tucson
629 Posts

Just tested a new 2032 Energizer; 3.10V. I did not test the car remote, didn't want to take off the protective case; but did test a 2032 in my home alarm remote and it is about a year old and it shows 3.03 and works great. And it is used every time I leave the house as well as when I return. (But time to get another 2032.)

This time of the year, when outside the phone is in my top coat pocket or my shirt pocket; summer, in my back pocket. Sometimes my switchblade is in the pocket; however, not too often.

And I should note, one reason I do not think it is the remote, is the light on the back of the handle turns On; therefore, that should confirm that remote is communicating to the vehicle, it is the handle that is not unlocking with my hand.
All logical - and I'm not saying it IS the remote, but my experience with batteries is just not logical. My remote stopped lowering the volume on my TV. (Tivo) I was going to clean it as I have with other remotes to give some more lifetime to it. Something somehow told me to try a new battery and, yep, fixed. So everything worked except the volume down.

I also have the remote for my Dish receiver. When the batteries are somewhat depleted I can't use the AUX button. Again everything else works. putting in a new battery fixed it.

So my point is, it still could be a battery issue maybe it takes more signal to allow the door to unlock with touch than to turn on the light? Or something like that?
Add to that if it is cold(er) out. Or more between the fob and the car?

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one with a magnetic personality that messes up the touch locks.

There are a variety of suggestions in this Santa Cruz thread, but it sounds like you've tried most/all of them.

One suggestion that you may not have tried is changing the battery in the key fob. The car has to sense the key fob being in proximity, and if the battery is weak it might not be able to do so. The fact that your experience changed with time (and maybe temperature) might support this possibility.
Well, I'll give it a try, can't imagine that would be the issue, but who knows nowadays...my last car I never changed the battery and had it for 7 years! This one 8 months? Hmmm. I'll update if that works....

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

My light comes on as well, and I have my fob as close as it could be without actually using it, in the very top of my unzipped purse on the opposite arm I use to try and lock (yup, I've tried both hands, lol).

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All logical - and I'm not saying it IS the remote, but my experience with batteries is just not logical. My remote stopped lowering the volume on my TV. (Tivo) I was going to clean it as I have with other remotes to give some more lifetime to it. Something somehow told me to try a new battery and, yep, fixed. So everything worked except the volume down.

I also have the remote for my Dish receiver. When the batteries are somewhat depleted I can't use the AUX button. Again everything else works. putting in a new battery fixed it.

So my point is, it still could be a battery issue maybe it takes more signal to allow the door to unlock with touch than to turn on the light? Or something like that?
Add to that if it is cold(er) out. Or more between the fob and the car?
I'm going to try another battery, also trying the other fob I have, I'd like to go into service with them knowing I've tried absolutely everything so they will actually check into it. :) I'll update later!

· Registered
‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T; ‘22 Tucson Limited 2.5
2,831 Posts
It’s very simple. If you press ONLY the lock sensor button AND do not touch any other part of the handle, the door should lock. If it doesn’t, see your dealer.

· Registered
239 Posts
It’s very simple. If you press ONLY the lock sensor button AND do not touch any other part of the handle, the door should lock. If it doesn’t, see your dealer.
Made sure to just touch the little indentation with my thumb or finger and yes, it worked flawlessly. However, the open function did not work once out of about five tries this AM, and the light came on well before the hand was inserted to open. Might note to dealer, bigger problems to address.

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Trust me, I've done that, a zillion times at this point because I'm a very determined person. Lock doesn't work at all, unlock works maybe once out of 20 times. Very frustrating. I feel there's an issue, especially since the light does come on more times than not.

· Registered
2,831 Posts
Trust me, I've done that, a zillion times at this point because I'm a very determined person. Lock doesn't work at all, unlock works maybe once out of 20 times. Very frustrating. I feel there's an issue, especially since the light does come on more times than not.
Then PLEASE go see your dealer. We can’t help you further here. Be sure to give us an update. THNX!

· Registered
239 Posts
Made sure to just touch the little indentation with my thumb or finger and yes, it worked flawlessly. However, the open function did not work once out of about five tries this AM, and the light came on well before the hand was inserted to open. Might note to dealer, bigger problems to address.
I'll correct that, today, twice once at the dealer, once at Lowes, I intentionally put two fingers on the handle and brushed my thumb on the indentation and guess what, it worked. So it will work if you touch it with other fingers.
However, yes, make sure to go to the dealer and hopefully, they will do more than they did for me. GOOD LUCK.

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tried both key fobs in my garage tonight, 10 times on each fob, worked flawlessly for both. What the heck? Why is it doing this? I locked and unlocked it the same way I do while parking at work (outside) and even tried different moves, like the swipe, etc. and it worked every time tonight in the garage. I'm at a loss. Have to run errands tomorrow, will try again and see if by chance it's an outside/inside issue? Although I can't understand why it would be. Grrrr.

· Registered
239 Posts
You state it happens where you work. Does it happen at other outside locations? These remotes work of a specific radio frequency and are basically at the bottom of the food chain. In other words other devices will work override the operation of a car remote/key. So if it is happening in the same location outdoors, but other outdoor locations it works fine, then I would guess there is interference with some other RF device on the same or close to the same frequency. Near a radio station, or satellite base, many things can interfere. I would guess the key fob needs to continue to connect with the vehicle while you place your hand or finger onto the handle to open/lock.

While in the car, the interference could be blocked or signal diminished due to the car's metal structure or the fact the key fob is extremely close to the control unit with no interference from the car's metal structure, thus is will start.

I once worked in a location where nearby was a local radio station, and remotes would not work there, as well as it screwed up our two-way radios at times. This was many years ago, but RF signals are RF signals.

Just an idea.

Reactions: Tampa8

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You state it happens where you work. Does it happen at other outside locations? These remotes work of a specific radio frequency and are basically at the bottom of the food chain. In other words other devices will work override the operation of a car remote/key. So if it is happening in the same location outdoors, but other outdoor locations it works fine, then I would guess there is interference with some other RF device on the same or close to the same frequency. Near a radio station, or satellite base, many things can interfere. I would guess the key fob needs to continue to connect with the vehicle while you place your hand or finger onto the handle to open/lock.

While in the car, the interference could be blocked or signal diminished due to the car's metal structure or the fact the key fob is extremely close to the control unit with no interference from the car's metal structure, thus is will start.

I once worked in a location where nearby was a local radio station, and remotes would not work there, as well as it screwed up our two-way radios at times. This was many years ago, but RF signals are RF signals.

Just an idea.
Interesting! It's been happening everywhere unfortunately, I had tried it in the garage once before and it wouldn't work, yet tonight it was flawless. I'm at a loss, but will keep trying until I get to the dealer for an oil change, I suspect they'll tell me it's user error. I would tend to believe that if I hadn't tried every trick I've read about, etc. Sometimes I really hate technology.

· Registered
2,831 Posts
Interesting! It's been happening everywhere unfortunately, I had tried it in the garage once before and it wouldn't work, yet tonight it was flawless. I'm at a loss, but will keep trying until I get to the dealer for an oil change, I suspect they'll tell me it's user error. I would tend to believe that if I hadn't tried every trick I've read about, etc. Sometimes I really hate technology.
Yes, and they’ll also tell you that you own a TUCSON, not a Tuscon.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts