Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Has anyone replaced their amp and speakers yet? I want to upgrade the sound in my SEL Convenience Hybrid. Any recommendations? TIA!
Mike, we are on the same brainwave. I haven't taken any action on installing new 6.5s, an amp and subs yet besides putting the items I think I want in save it for later on amazon lol. Let me know please what you decide or find out. I am trying to keep my wife happy and "enjoy" the car as it is for a few before I really ENJOY the car lol.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL Convenience Hybrid
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just went to an aftermarket car stereo store and the guy there recommended Pioneer Z-series speakers - component in front and coaxial in back with sound deadening materials for a total of around $1,000 installed. He suggested I try them with the stock amp before investing another $600-$700 in a JL amp. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just went to an aftermarket car stereo store and the guy there recommended Pioneer Z-series speakers - component in front and coaxial in back with sound deadening materials for a total of around $1,000 installed. He suggested I try them with the stock amp before investing another $600-$700 in a JL amp. Any thoughts?
Thanks for the input. I wonder why they suggest Pioneer? I plan to go to a store as well to get a quote. I will post my findings. I am gonna try to go this weekend.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm looking into this as well. Are you playing music wireless through Android auto or carplay? The audio quality is awful in both of them. I'm using a USB mp3 player since they took the ipod capability away and the sound is much better.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm looking into this as well. Are you playing music wireless through Android auto or carplay? The audio quality is awful in both of them. I'm using a USB mp3 player since they took the ipod capability away and the sound is much better.
I am using wireless carplay, sound is good, xm radio sound is good. there are a few local stations that I listen to and they sound like a transistor radio. the noise cancel feature makes it worse. I just want all my sound to be consistent. I guess once you've had BOSE(my Mazda 3 hatch) its hard on all the others :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am using wireless carplay, sound is good, xm radio sound is good. there are a few local stations that I listen to and they sound like a transistor radio. the noise cancel feature makes it worse. I just want all my sound to be consistent. I guess once you've had BOSE(my Mazda 3 hatch) its hard on all the others :(
Yea. I would say going from Bose to stock would be a noticeable difference. I'm not sure what speakers these head units can handle without a new amp. I can't find any specs on them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yea. I would say going from Bose to stock would be a noticeable difference. I'm not sure what speakers these head units can handle without a new amp. I can't find any specs on them.
Im looking on crutchfield.com right now and they put together a match of speakers and the amp (sold out at moment) I like crutchfield and they have great customer service.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just got a quote from a different installer for Rockford Fosgate Punch speakers (component in front, coaxial in rear) for $600 installed. A Rockford Fosgate 75x4 watt amp would add another $860 installed.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have the "upgraded" Bose system and to my ears, it seems to be missing something. I'm not an audiophile but there just seems to be lack of depth - sound does not have "full" range. That's my best explanation.

Curious what people's settings are.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the "upgraded" Bose system and to my ears, it seems to be missing something. I'm not an audiophile but there just seems to be lack of depth - sound does not have "full" range. That's my best explanation.

Curious what people's settings are.
Initially I thought the Bose system seemed underpowered. I thought it sounded good, but didn't really jump out at me when I cranked it up. That was until I was was driving by myself one day and REALLY cranked it up! The sound system seems to come alive when you take it over 40 (I believe the max is 50). I think that I was initially hesitant to push it that high, but I have taken it as high as 45 and it sounds great, with zero distortion and without feeling like it's just loud for the sake of being loud or going to blow the speakers out. Granted, that's not how I want to listen all the time, but if I am by myself and really feeling a song, the Bose system does a great job!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Initially I thought the Bose system seemed underpowered. I thought it sounded good, but didn't really jump out at me when I cranked it up. That was until I was was driving by myself one day and REALLY cranked it up! The sound system seems to come alive when you take it over 40 (I believe the max is 50). I think that I was initially hesitant to push it that high, but I have taken it as high as 45 and it sounds great, with zero distortion and without feeling like it's just loud for the sake of being loud or going to blow the speakers out. Granted, that's not how I want to listen all the time, but if I am by myself and really feeling a song, the Bose system does a great job!
Good to hear. I'm also like you, fear of pushing it too high. I have only gone up to 35 I believe.

I'll test it out.

I agree one thing I hate is distortion.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got another quote - JL Audio C1-650 ($150/pair) up front and C1-650x ($130/pair) in back plus $170 labor. If I upgrade the amp he recommends the 45x4 Alpine KTP-445U Power Pack for $190 plus $330 labor.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Got another quote - JL Audio C1-650 ($150/pair) up front and C1-650x ($130/pair) in back plus $170 labor. If I upgrade the amp he recommends the 45x4 Alpine KTP-445U Power Pack for $190 plus $330 labor.
Good Info! I hope I find something just as good. Also do you have 7 speakers or 6 I have an opening on my dash as well as the little tweeters and front doors.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts