Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one I would take with a grain of salt, especially when you compare it to cars like a GR Yaris or 911, etc. but Mat W is a good presenter, but he's not into regular 'boring' cars

·
Registered
10 Posts
This one I would take with a grain of salt, especially when you compare it to cars like a GR Yaris or 911, etc. but Mat W is a good presenter, but he's not into regular 'boring' cars

I normally like Matt Watson but he talked a load of rubbish here and kept harping on about German cars do this better etc zzzzz give it a rest funny how all the other reviews are fantastic.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I normally like Matt Watson but he talked a load of rubbish here and kept harping on about German cars do this better etc zzzzz give it a rest funny how all the other reviews are fantastic.
I'm sure he was a fan of the i30N, or perhaps the regular i30 too.

OTOH, I started watching AP CharlieMin since he's in Korea and gets to drive a lot of the cars first before the dudes in North America

·
Registered
35 Posts
One for a just off the truck SE model
I had not seen this one. This is the only video showing the stripper. All the others show upper-level trims. Too bad the camera he's using is also a stripper that won't adjust brightness and contrast properly. I would like to see the hybrid stripper, the blue trim. I think I could live with it except for the awful instrument cluster.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had not seen this one. This is the only video showing the stripper. All the others show upper-level trims. Too bad the camera he's using is also a stripper that won't adjust brightness and contrast properly. I would like to see the hybrid stripper, the blue trim. I think I could live with it except for the awful instrument cluster.
Leave the strippers for the night clubs and rental lots, and at least get a mid-trim IMO. Only regrets we've ever had on previous vehicle purchases is when we went with a base model. While it may seem like a big price jump, just remember that a $1000 option is really only $500 when you factor in easier resale and recouped cost.

That said, sometimes options can cause long term reliability issues, like we've had bad luck with panoramic sunroofs squeaking/rattling or causing corrosion or leaks. Most high trims don't even let you purchase a vehicle with a solid roof anymore though, but since HyundaiUSA is so **** slow to update their website, I still can't even tell if you can get an SEL or higher without a sunroof. Ugh! In Houston at least these vehicles are already on dealer lots, yet the website acts like its a future product.

I also wish every manufacturer would update their websites build configurators to be like Mercedes. Building a GLB is so much nicer there than on most other sites, although Nissan is pretty good about allowing you to pick options and show you a variety of vehicles that have the features you're shopping for which is cool. Need 360 camera? Voila, here's all the vehicles and specific trims that have it. That's nice.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Leave the strippers for the night clubs and rental lots, and at least get a mid-trim IMO. Only regrets we've ever had on previous vehicle purchases is when we went with a base model. While it may seem like a big price jump, just remember that a $1000 option is really only $500 when you factor in easier resale and recouped cost.

That said, sometimes options can cause long term reliability issues, like we've had bad luck with panoramic sunroofs squeaking/rattling or causing corrosion or leaks. Most high trims don't even let you purchase a vehicle with a solid roof anymore though, but since HyundaiUSA is so **** slow to update their website, I still can't even tell if you can get an SEL or higher without a sunroof. Ugh! In Houston at least these vehicles are already on dealer lots, yet the website acts like its a future product...
According to the newsroom pdfs (TUCSON - Hyundai Newsroom) the hybrid blue trim is the only trim that doesn't come with the hated 19" wheels and doubly-hated moonroof. It's not just a money issue; I expressly don't want those two items. There's a chance that the spec sheet could change by the time it's finalized and added to the main webpage but I doubt it.

The Kia Sportage is coming with similar engine/drivetrains as the Tucson. Maybe the Sportage will have trim choices more to my liking.

·
Registered
‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T; ‘22 Tucson Limited 2.5
1,881 Posts
The SEL (with Convenience Package) that I drove recently had no sunroof.

I also saw an SEL with both Convenience and Premium Packages. It had a small sunroof, NOT A PANORAMIC ROOF.

·
Registered
10 Posts
One from the Korean launch:

And a comparison with the RAV4:

Both are hybrids and closest to US-spec limited trim

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
The SEL (with Convenience Package) that I drove recently had no sunroof.
I think Hyundai has done a better job in packaging the new one with different trim levels giving you either the pano or regular roof. The outgoing model only offered a panoramic roof and it is on the Ultimate option/top trim, and Value/Night Edition models up to 2019. But yeah, no regular moonroof on the 2016-21s.
I also saw an SEL with both Convenience and Premium Packages. It had a small sunroof, NOT A PANORAMIC ROOF.
Personally, if I were to get a new Tucson today, the SEL with the Conv and Premium package would be my choice. I love moonroofs but understand that cars with panoramic roofs will have issues down the line. This even happens with Toyota vehicles as well, as I've read with the newer Camry XSE/XLE models with the option. If you get into a Limited or other trim that has the pano roof, I'd probably lease it so you won't have to deal with that issue at the end of 10 years or however long you keep it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

That said, sometimes options can cause long term reliability issues, like we've had bad luck with panoramic sunroofs squeaking/rattling or causing corrosion or leaks. Most high trims don't even let you purchase a vehicle with a solid roof anymore though, but since HyundaiUSA is so **** slow to update their website, I still can't even tell if you can get an SEL or higher without a sunroof. Ugh! In Houston at least these vehicles are already on dealer lots, yet the website acts like its a future product.
Yeah something is up with Hyundai USA's website. The inventory page you can't filter most models by the packages.

And I agree, if you're getting a Hyundai product, its worth it to at least get the mid level or options for the extra features, which will make a difference at resale time (which we all know, Hyundai still is worth less than the comparable Toyonda). Before, Elantra SEs with the package that had the 7 inch display with Carplay/Android Auto and alloys, were worth a bit more on the used car market than the poverty spec ones with the steelies and regular audio system.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts