Hyundai Forums banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

Registered
2021 Sonata N-line, 2011 Sonata GLS
We test drove a Limited hybrid last week and didn't notice the backup alert at all. We're going to get a different color next week, hopefully it will be the same. If not, I'm pinning it on the dealer to take care of it before delivery.
I'm wondering if there is a resistor or something missing from those that are loud. Don't confuse me with an electrician. 馃檮

Registered
We test drove a Limited hybrid last week and didn't notice the backup alert at all. We're going to get a different color next week, hopefully it will be the same. If not, I'm pinning it on the dealer to take care of it before delivery.
I'm wondering if there is a resistor or something missing from those that are loud. Don't confuse me with an electrician. 馃檮
Federal law. Dealer nor manufacturer have no say in it

Registered
Federal law. Dealer nor manufacturer have no say in it
I'm not saying delete it, just tone it down. If some are loud and others aren't, something is different. A change in the wire bundle, or possibly a run of those bundles where a component was inadvertently omitted.

Registered
I'm not saying delete it, just tone it down. If some are loud and others aren't, something is different. A change in the wire bundle, or possibly a run of those bundles where a component was inadvertently omitted.
I'm sure the tone is the same, just different tolerances from different people.

And dealer is not going to mess with a factory safety feature.

Registered
I'm sure the tone is the same, just different tolerances from different people.

And dealer is not going to mess with a factory safety feature.
I don't know, I've got rabbit ears when it comes to car sounds, and I definitely didn't notice it when I backed into the parking spot. If it were anything like what some people are experiencing, I think I would have heard it. I just want the "model" that is quieter. 馃槒

Registered
I spent about an hour covering up the speaker module with Styrofoam and black duct tape hoping to dampen the sound. I couldn't figure out how to remove the grill, so I had to maneuver the foam and strips of tape through the grill. Such a pain. But, it was still loud! It's like I didn't do anything. Every time I backup in my work parking structure, everybody looks at me funny. So embarrassing.

Registered
The amplifier to the VESS speaker is integrated into the speaker. The front bumper has to come off to get to the speaker. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if there were a trimpot in the amplifier that adjusts its output...

Registered
Has anyone tried to remove the wiring harness plug from the speaker to see if the car throws a warning flag? I am not condoning that people do this, however it is absolutely ridiculous how loud these backup sounds are. It literally can be heard on my entire street which is a couple thousand feet long鈥.

~M

Registered
That would be like rolling the dice on the law, wouldn鈥檛 it, Joe? You鈥檇 also be gambling with losing everything you own if you backed over somebody. No, it wouldn鈥檛 be a smart bet to cut the wire.
Nobody needs to know, just like a JB4.

And my house is homestead, lol!

Registered
I saw a 2022 Tucson today for the first time, driving around, it looked gooooood!
I was stopped at an intersection, it came from the front, turning left, can't mistake it for anything else in the world with those drl's, it was dark gray, looked freaking nice.

Registered
I spent about an hour covering up the speaker module with Styrofoam and black duct tape hoping to dampen the sound. I couldn't figure out how to remove the grill, so I had to maneuver the foam and strips of tape through the grill. Such a pain. But, it was still loud! It's like I didn't do anything. Every time I backup in my work parking structure, everybody looks at me funny. So embarrassing.
Can you post a pic of the speaker so we know exactly where it is and how it's placed? Thank.

Wouldn't it be possible to route a wire into the cabin to have a switch inside so that you can choose when it's on or off?
That way you can have it on when you're in a parking lot, but off when you know you don't need it

Registered
鈥19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T; 鈥22 Tucson Limited 2.5
Can you post a pic of the speaker so we know exactly where it is and how it's placed? Thank.

Wouldn't it be possible to route a wire into the cabin to have a switch inside so that you can choose when it's on or off?
That way you can have it on when you're in a parking lot, but off when you know you don't need it
Yes, Your Honor, I always turn the switch off when I back out of the driveway. Sorry about that little child.

Worst case scenario. Why gamble like Las Vegas? Who needs lost wages and worse?

Registered
I live in an apartment complex and have gotten complaints about the morning noise. I now backup into a spot in the evening. We have another hybrid and 2 electrics in the family. The Tucson is ridiculous. I emailed Hyundai. Here's their non-helpful response:
"Thank you for contacting Hyundai Customer Care.
Based upon the research we have performed, we have determined that the VESS cannot be turned off in your 2022 Tucson HEV and advise continuing to work with the service department at your local Hyundai dealership for any further possible assistance and information on turning the VESS sound volume down.

To locate your nearest dealer, please visit www.hyundaiusa.com/dealer-locator to schedule your appointment."

Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid SEL
I live in an apartment complex and have gotten complaints about the morning noise. I now backup into a spot in the evening. We have another hybrid and 2 electrics in the family. The Tucson is ridiculous. I emailed Hyundai. Here's their non-helpful response:
"Thank you for contacting Hyundai Customer Care.
Based upon the research we have performed, we have determined that the VESS cannot be turned off in your 2022 Tucson HEV and advise continuing to work with the service department at your local Hyundai dealership for any further possible assistance and information on turning the VESS sound volume down.

To locate your nearest dealer, please visit www.hyundaiusa.com/dealer-locator to schedule your appointment."
I interpret that to indicate there is definitely a volume control somewhere...

Registered

Here's a pic of the VESS location. It's behind the front grill. The top cowl has 4 pins i can pop out. But the top cowl is still connected to the grill somehow. It's too tight in there to reach any screws. That's as far as i can go. VESS.JPG

Registered
Eh. Just got the vehicle on Friday, noticed the tone later in the evening. Doesn鈥檛 bother me too much. If it bothers my neighbors, oh well. 馃し馃徎鈥嶁檧锔

61 - 77 of 77 Posts