Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I traded in my 2019 Honda Insight for the 2022 SEL Hybrid and I could literally sneak up on people with my Insight. I have scared a number of older people unintentionally just pulling in a parking space as the car is so quiet.
here in texas that could result in gunshots.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The noise does not need to be as loud as it is. Frankly I might not have purchased this vehicle if this was known prior to getting it home. I really like the car but this is over the top annoying . No other car/suv maker had this sound so loud that I know of (sounds like your driving a garbage truck). I really think they need to tone it down alot. It can be heard over 100 yards away in every direction.
Time for them to fix this issue or suffer less car sales. imho
I bet you can figure out from looking in the fuse box which one its connected to. If so, you could just put a burned out fuse in that location. Plausible deniability you didn't intentionally disable it in the exceedingly rare case you got dinged for it. At least in Texas its not something that is even required safety equipment during an inspection test, and perhaps if enough people complain about it they'll have a software update to change the sound or make it quieter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a 2022 Tucson Hybrid Blue. I like the vehicle except for this VESS. My 2018 Hyundai Ioniq Blue had it, and it was very quiet. Just so more folks know, I figure I would post the email that I sent to Hyundai and to my dealer. I am sure I won't get an answer that I like, but I figure I got to try. Thanks for reading.

Email sent to Hyundai and to the dealer:

I just bought a 2022 Tucson Hybrid. My dealer experience was great. I have bought at least 7 brand new Hyundai vehicles over the last 15 years. The vehicle that I traded in was a 2018 Hyundai Ioniq Blue. It was a great vehicle. I just thought I would let you know that this is the first vehicle we purchased that we are actually very unhappy with 1 aspect of the vehicle. The noises it makes when moving slowly forward and when backing up are absolutely annoying. I believe these noises are part of the VESS system. When we back up out of our garage or when we are slowly pulling into our garage, the VESS is very loud and can easily disturb my neighbors. I did not hear these noises when test driving. I wouldn't expect to hear something this obnoxious because our Ioniq had a very quiet backup beep. I know you will probably say the government requires us to do this. It makes no sense to me. Gas cars can and usually are just as quiet. If I would have heard this feature during my test drive (no fault of the dealer), I wouldn't have bought the vehicle period. If this is the trend of all green vehicles, I will do my best to never get one again. I write this letter to let you know that I don't like this system at all. If possible, please provide a volume control or a disable switch for this system. If you do, you would make this Hyundai loyal customer very happy.
I just also got a 2022 Hyundai Tucson SEL and I was also unaware of the loud noise backing up during test drives and other driving but my husband told me about it and demonstrated it to me and it is loud and I will be copying your letter an sending it to Hyundai.

·
Registered
‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T; ‘22 Tucson Limited 2.5
2,000 Posts
I just also got a 2022 Hyundai Tucson SEL and I was also unaware of the loud noise backing up during test drives and other driving but my husband told me about it and demonstrated it to me and it is loud and I will be copying your letter an sending it to Hyundai.
How does it sound compared to a garbage truck?

·
Registered
17 Posts
How does it sound compared to a garbage truck?
I had to check it out for myself as I thought it was going to sound like an ice cream truck. It wasn’t that loud to be completely honest but louder than the Toyota’s / Honda’s. And I go in reverse maybe twice in one outing to parallel park, I can live with the 10-15 seconds of it making a noise. Just crank the music up if anything lol. I live in the city, so city noise is dampening it. But I can’t imagine anyone complaining about it in a remote area unless you leave it on reverse for an hour straight.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I bet you can figure out from looking in the fuse box which one its connected to. If so, you could just put a burned out fuse in that location. Plausible deniability you didn't intentionally disable it in the exceedingly rare case you got dinged for it. At least in Texas its not something that is even required safety equipment during an inspection test, and perhaps if enough people complain about it they'll have a software update to change the sound or make it quieter.
I'd be really surprised if there's a single fuse just for that and it's not also tied in with anything else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interesting. I have not seen that mentioned in ANY review.
I was surprised to not find it mentioned in any review either and I watched or read quite a few. The only negative that was commonly mentioned was the volume knob for the sound system! Which is not a problem for me but the back up is pretty darn loud if you are near the car and outside of it.

·
Registered
‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T; ‘22 Tucson Limited 2.5
2,000 Posts
I was surprised to not find it mentioned in any review either and I watched or read quite a few. The only negative that was commonly mentioned was the volume knob for the sound system! Which is not a problem for me but the back up is pretty darn loud if you are near the car and outside of it.
Yes, the lack of a volume “knob” is really a nothing issue, given that there’s a VERY handy volume button on the steering wheel. What they COULD have done, though, is to put the console volume control on the PASSENGER side of the console. Now THAT would have been a winner AND the first commoner car, perhaps, with a front passenger accessible volume control.

·
Registered
330 Posts
On the Chevy Volt its fuse F5-pedestrian protection, nothing else on it. View attachment 457724
They certainly COULD do it, but Hyundai tends to lump all kinds of stuff together on the same fuse. HERE is the PDF owner's manual for the 2022 Tucson Hybrid (Jump to page 590 of the PDF). I don't see a fuse that says anything like Pedestrian Protection so my guess is it's probably piggybacked on something else in there as I don't see anything that appears to be the pedestrian protection module.

·
Registered
147 Posts
They certainly COULD do it, but Hyundai tends to lump all kinds of stuff together on the same fuse. HERE is the PDF owner's manual for the 2022 Tucson Hybrid (Jump to page 590 of the PDF). I don't see a fuse that says anything like Pedestrian Protection so my guess is it's probably piggybacked on something else in there as I don't see anything that appears to be the pedestrian protection module.
VESS unit is what it is.

Its Fuse Module 4, 7.5A: Multifunction Front View Camera, IBU, AWD ECM, VESS Unit, Crash Pad Switch, ECS Unit, Integrated Parking Assist Unit

So yes, you'd be disabling too much.

Can't find the 2022 part, but it shows the VESS speaker on the front underneath the car on the last generation. https://www.hyundaipartsdeal.com/genuine/hyundai-speaker-assy-vess~96395-4w000.html

If so you could just unplug it, or if that triggers a check light, then open that speaker grill with four bolts, stuff it with some kind of closed cell foam and gaffers tape on the inside of the speaker grill before putting it back on.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sounds like removing the fuse is a no-go.

I think there should be an alert sound, just wish we could muffle it a bit.

I wouldn't mind the sound level be closer to a gas vehicle, which is generally pretty muted.

I don't need to announce everyone within a 200 foot radius that I am backing up :).

This is what it should sound like (Toyota Venza Hybrid):

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Ultimate Hybrid Amazon Grey Black
7 Posts
Sounds like removing the fuse is a no-go.

I think there should be an alert sound, just wish we could muffle it a bit.

I wouldn't mind the sound level be closer to a gas vehicle, which is generally pretty muted.

I don't need to announce everyone within a 200 foot radius that I am backing up :).

This is what it should sound like (Toyota Venza Hybrid):

That’s what my friends RAV4 hybrid sounds like

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a 2022 Tucson Hybrid and absolutely love the thing with the exception of the sound alert it makes when backing up. I've been to concerts and football games that didn't make that much noise. (Maybe that is a slight exaggeration, but it is VERY LOUD). I understand the purpose of having the sound but you don't need one that so loud that it wakes the entire neighborhood. Unfortunately, it's not a feature that you can't bypass or ignore. Hyundai needs to come out with a fix for this issue, asap.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I guess I'll be the odd one out and say that the VESS on my hybrid blue Tucson is not unduly loud--at least from inside the car. I've never heard it from outside the car. The sound can be heard below 25mph and slower and is gone above 25mph. It doesn't sound any louder than the VESS on my sister's 2016 Sonata hybrid. The backup chime also is not objectionably loud from inside the car. I appreciate that there is some warning sound for small animals and children (but then I repeat myself) to let them know I'm backing up.

The speaker is fairly large and blocks air to the intercooler but I have no objection to it otherwise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The noise does not need to be as loud as it is. Frankly I might not have purchased this vehicle if this was known prior to getting it home. I really like the car but this is over the top annoying . No other car/suv maker had this sound so loud that I know of (sounds like your driving a garbage truck). I really think they need to tone it down alot. It can be heard over 100 yards away in every direction.
Time for them to fix this issue or suffer less car sales. imho
I agree 100%. I just purchased the 2021 Santa Fe Hybrid and I understand the need for the “chime” warning but it is way too loud. I have to leave the house at 5am a lot of mornings. Any day that I know I will I guess I will have to reverse my car into the garage the night before because otherwise it will wake up the neighborhood. Hyundai needs to figure out a fix to quiet this feature down....it’s way too loud.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you get backed over by a Tucson, no one to blame but yourself. 🤣

Customizing the chime would be cool.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yeah, I would prefer a steady low-key sound rather than the high-end garbage truck "look at me!" sound we have now.
I dont have a new Tucson yet, but if I did I would wrap the speaker in plastic and then apply caulking over the plastic. This should deaden the sound and then if you dont like it you could remove the plastic and caulk without any damage.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts