Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking all over to find a volume level for it but could not find one. And no, the warning volume option only changes the volume of alerts played inside the car. I've only found articles about parking assist and backup warnings, but not about the warning alert played outside the car when the car is in reverse. As soon as I hit the R button (Hybrid doesn't have the shifter, just buttons) a very loud beep is played outside the car. From inside the car, I thought it was quite muted, but it's quite loud standing outside. Again, it's not the object detection as I'm simply reversing out of my driveway with nothing in the way, and the beeps are fairly far apart and do not change frequency at all. My guess is it's just to alert pedestrians that the car is in reverse, since often times the Hybrid will be running completely on batteries at low speed. But the sound is way too loud and I'm afraid I'll wake the neighbors.

Just one minor complaint to an otherwise amazing car. Super quiet thanks to mostly staying on battery in the beginning of the drive, and the cabin is well insulated from outside noise. Ride is smooth and comfortable, and the power delivery is pretty sneaky; I've caught myself doing 90 when I thought I was doing 80.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I find the sound hilarious. When my wife put it in reverse the first time and I heard that I thought it was funny. That and the sound when you’re in Drive on battery mode.

But yea it is pretty loud. Do other Hyundai hybrids have these features?

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
2021 elantra hybrid also. this is our first hybrid, and this thing is QUIET. except in reverse. 2020 sonata, and this elantra, both have the rear collision/pedestrian alert, and i am amazed at how fast people drive in the parking lot, and how close pedestrians walk in back of the car. several times, both cars have hit the brakes

·
Registered
‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T; ‘22 Tucson Limited 2.5
1,894 Posts
Interesting. I have not seen that mentioned in ANY review.

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
The audible reverse and low-speed warning sound for hybrids and full EVs is now a regulation by the NHSTA.

Yep, because most hybrids don't engage the ICE at low speeds unless the battery pack is too low and needs charging, meaning they're as silent as a full EV when operating like that. Anyone buying a hybrid now should assume the vehicle has it whether it's specifically listed as a "feature" or not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2022 Tucson Hybrid Blue. I like the vehicle except for this VESS. My 2018 Hyundai Ioniq Blue had it, and it was very quiet. Just so more folks know, I figure I would post the email that I sent to Hyundai and to my dealer. I am sure I won't get an answer that I like, but I figure I got to try. Thanks for reading.

Email sent to Hyundai and to the dealer:

I just bought a 2022 Tucson Hybrid. My dealer experience was great. I have bought at least 7 brand new Hyundai vehicles over the last 15 years. The vehicle that I traded in was a 2018 Hyundai Ioniq Blue. It was a great vehicle. I just thought I would let you know that this is the first vehicle we purchased that we are actually very unhappy with 1 aspect of the vehicle. The noises it makes when moving slowly forward and when backing up are absolutely annoying. I believe these noises are part of the VESS system. When we back up out of our garage or when we are slowly pulling into our garage, the VESS is very loud and can easily disturb my neighbors. I did not hear these noises when test driving. I wouldn't expect to hear something this obnoxious because our Ioniq had a very quiet backup beep. I know you will probably say the government requires us to do this. It makes no sense to me. Gas cars can and usually are just as quiet. If I would have heard this feature during my test drive (no fault of the dealer), I wouldn't have bought the vehicle period. If this is the trend of all green vehicles, I will do my best to never get one again. I write this letter to let you know that I don't like this system at all. If possible, please provide a volume control or a disable switch for this system. If you do, you would make this Hyundai loyal customer very happy.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
A feasible fix for Hyundai would be to simply force the gas engine (if equipped) to activate when reversing. I can’t imagine ANYBODY wants their ride to sound like a garbage truck when backing up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just bought a 2022 Tucson Hybrid Blue. I like the vehicle except for this VESS. My 2018 Hyundai Ioniq Blue had it, and it was very quiet. Just so more folks know, I figure I would post the email that I sent to Hyundai and to my dealer. I am sure I won't get an answer that I like, but I figure I got to try. Thanks for reading.

Email sent to Hyundai and to the dealer:

I just bought a 2022 Tucson Hybrid. My dealer experience was great. I have bought at least 7 brand new Hyundai vehicles over the last 15 years. The vehicle that I traded in was a 2018 Hyundai Ioniq Blue. It was a great vehicle. I just thought I would let you know that this is the first vehicle we purchased that we are actually very unhappy with 1 aspect of the vehicle. The noises it makes when moving slowly forward and when backing up are absolutely annoying. I believe these noises are part of the VESS system. When we back up out of our garage or when we are slowly pulling into our garage, the VESS is very loud and can easily disturb my neighbors. I did not hear these noises when test driving. I wouldn't expect to hear something this obnoxious because our Ioniq had a very quiet backup beep. I know you will probably say the government requires us to do this. It makes no sense to me. Gas cars can and usually are just as quiet. If I would have heard this feature during my test drive (no fault of the dealer), I wouldn't have bought the vehicle period. If this is the trend of all green vehicles, I will do my best to never get one again. I write this letter to let you know that I don't like this system at all. If possible, please provide a volume control or a disable switch for this system. If you do, you would make this Hyundai loyal customer very happy.
The VESS would be ridiculously easy to defeat if it bugs you that much, but don't hit a blind person or bicyclist. You would never stop paying for it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It's a mandated safety thing so unless the sound is louder than it's required to be there is nothing that Hyundai could do. I am concerned about pissing off my neighbors and adding to the noise pollution . Other hybrid owners have masked off the alert speaker (minimal reduction) or wired in a resistor in place of the speaker.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The VESS would be ridiculously easy to defeat if it bugs you that much, but don't hit a blind person or bicyclist. You would never stop paying for it.
Yup, your insurance would pay out that claim, drop you, and then your rates at the next company would go through the roof if they found out the safety feature was modified or disabled.

Also, does everyone's neighbors sleep with single-pane windows open or something? I've heard the low-speed/reverse warning out on the street and can't imagine I'd be able to hear it through the walls/windows of a house/apartment

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I see that the new Mustang Mach-E has a setting to select Propulsion Sound for the interior.
0EEE2D24-C98C-4E75-8AA1-9335E4290719.jpeg

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just bought a 2022 Tucson Hybrid Blue. I like the vehicle except for this VESS. My 2018 Hyundai Ioniq Blue had it, and it was very quiet.
That is an excellent point, as there is a huge difference between the artificial noise (GM calls it Pedestrian-Friendly Alert instead of VESS) produced by a 2018 and 2019 Chevy Volt. The pre-2018 Volts are excessively loud and harsh sounding, and luckily they fixed that in the 2019 refresh where its quieter and sounds calming.

Its an excellent idea to require vehicles to make SOME kind of noise in EV mode when pedestrians are near, but since that can vary between a cat quietly purring and Lloyd from Dumb and Dumber screeching at the volume of a train horn, clearly manufacturers are experimenting with how loud and how pleasant that sound should be.

Personally though, I think its stupid to require a strict rigid set of rules for manufacturers to follow when it comes to EV operation noise at low speeds, as they should be allowed to use technology to its fullest for maximum utility. For example, many vehicles even now already have pedestrian detection systems in place, so if a manufacturer offers this forward facing then it should only make a noise when it detects pedestrians or when in reverse, or if 360o monitoring then never until it recognizes pedestrians nearby IMO.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My inlaws have a Hybrid Honda CRV and the noise that makes whilst in full EV mode sounds like the music to Stranger Things and is quite inoffensive. Maybe Hyundai need to give a choice of sounds 😊

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
My inlaws have a Hybrid Honda CRV and the noise that makes whilst in full EV mode sounds like the music to Stranger Things and is quite inoffensive. Maybe Hyundai need to give a choice of sounds 😊
Good plan.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The audible reverse and low-speed warning sound for hybrids and full EVs is now a regulation by the NHSTA.

The noise does not need to be as loud as it is. Frankly I might not have purchased this vehicle if this was known prior to getting it home. I really like the car but this is over the top annoying . No other car/suv maker had this sound so loud that I know of (sounds like your driving a garbage truck). I really think they need to tone it down alot. It can be heard over 100 yards away in every direction.
Time for them to fix this issue or suffer less car sales. imho

·
Registered
26 Posts
A feasible fix for Hyundai would be to simply force the gas engine (if equipped) to activate when reversing. I can’t imagine ANYBODY wants their ride to sound like a garbage truck when backing up.
I do and I love it. It actually gets the attention of people that have nothing better to do than stare at their phones when I back up ;).

·
Registered
26 Posts
That is an excellent point, as there is a huge difference between the artificial noise (GM calls it Pedestrian-Friendly Alert instead of VESS) produced by a 2018 and 2019 Chevy Volt. The pre-2018 Volts are excessively loud and harsh sounding, and luckily they fixed that in the 2019 refresh where its quieter and sounds calming.

Its an excellent idea to require vehicles to make SOME kind of noise in EV mode when pedestrians are near, but since that can vary between a cat quietly purring and Lloyd from Dumb and Dumber screeching at the volume of a train horn, clearly manufacturers are experimenting with how loud and how pleasant that sound should be.

Personally though, I think its stupid to require a strict rigid set of rules for manufacturers to follow when it comes to EV operation noise at low speeds, as they should be allowed to use technology to its fullest for maximum utility. For example, many vehicles even now already have pedestrian detection systems in place, so if a manufacturer offers this forward facing then it should only make a noise when it detects pedestrians or when in reverse, or if 360o monitoring then never until it recognizes pedestrians nearby IMO.
I traded in my 2019 Honda Insight for the 2022 SEL Hybrid and I could literally sneak up on people with my Insight. I have scared a number of older people unintentionally just pulling in a parking space as the car is so quiet.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts