Hyundai Forums banner

2022 Tucson Headlight Problem - Black 'Void/Shadow' on Driver Side

52K views 222 replies 66 participants last post by  PMCErnie 
#1 ·
Wondering if anyone is experiencing a void of light or shadow out in front of you on the driver side when driving with low beams on. It moves in and out of view as you're traveling. It's extremely distracting and impedes your view. It seems very dangerous to me and I'm avoiding night driving because of it. Hyundai has not identified this as an issue so I want to know if it's just me.

#2 ·
We are having the same problem. We bought our 2022 Tucson a few days ago. We went for a night ride the first day we got it. As soon as we backed out of the driveway we saw a dark triangle. When we got on the highway we saw the shadow on the drivers side. It was really dark when going up hill and down. We recorded it. Took it in they adjusted it. Went for another drive. Same thing. Then we decided to take it on backroads where there is no markings on the road. Very dangerous as the shadow seemed closer. This shadow messed with your eyes the more you drove the vehicle. We have taken it back into the shop. They don't know what to do. I have recorded what the issue is as well as we have taken pictures. This is a safety hazard as far as we are concerned.

#3 ·
Yes, I feel exactly the same! The dealership is acting like they haven't heard of this issue from anyone else - which I just don't understand. How can this NOT affect anyone else? They have sent the service manager home with a vehicle like mine to test drive so he can see first hand what I am talking about. I'm not sure how this is going to help me though...but the more of us that complain and bring the issue to the companies attention, the better! They need a fix for this! I want a new headlight system that doesn't have this dark spot! Thank you for replying so I know I'm not alone in this!

#4 ·
Just picked mine up last night and I have the same issue as well. Very distracting when driving. I’m not sure if it’s the design of the light housing or what but it should be fixed. It is like right in the left lane and it sucks. Too dark of an area that should be lit up. Hopefully they come out with a fix soon.

#52 ·
I second the theory that it’s meant to prevent blinding oncoming traffic. Our 2021 Palisade Calligraphy has the same shadow in the light spread as my ‘22 Tucson Hybrid Limited. I feel like it’s designed that way. I personally don’t find it distracting, I’m possibly used to it as I’ve experienced the shadow in the Palisade. I can see how it would be distracting but I don’t think it’s a flaw in the design or aiming of the headlamps.

#11 ·
We have the Limited non-hybrid model and I have seen the void you are referring to. I have actually seen one from each individual headlight. Looking at the headlight housing, I believe it is caused by the design of the housing. Still not sure on whether that was an intentional design, or an oversight. I have seen some say that it is by design, to limit the light in the eyes of oncoming traffic, which does make sense as I have still been flashed by my fair share of drivers who think I have my brights on.

Fortunately I do not find the void to be distracting or to hinder my ability to see at night, though I can understand others' concerns. Frankly these are the best headlights I have ever had in a vehicle and they light up the road very well. I do travel on some completely dark country roads and they do a great job of allowing me to see everything, even little critters poised to shoot across the road as I approach.

#179 ·
+1 on your post. I also have the Limited and I do notice a void where the beams seem to cross....but for me it seems to be more in the middle vs left or right (maybe I'm not paying close enough attention). Nevertheless...I went from a 2013 accent to these projector lamps and I haven't really had any problem seeing at night. That's just my own experience though...could be totally different for others.

#13 ·
It seems like this might be a drain that is intentional. Even other models like the Santa Fe have a similar issue. This may be the blinding factor to oncoming traffic. I have never seen it on other vehicles before but we will see what Hyundai says. Might just have to learn how to deal with it for now. If they get enough complaints about it they will put out a TSB for it if they find a fix.

#17 ·
I can’t agree that this is a feature. It is a large dead spot that I thought was created because I had a huge bug on the headlight. I checked it out and everything looks good. But on the left hand side there is a large fuzzy dark gap in the headlamp coverage. My Hyundai dealer has never heard of it but they aren’t open at night to see for themselves.

#21 ·
I’ve had my 2022 Tucson Ltd (non-hybrid) for 3 days. I do a lot of night driving. The shadow is so obvious, that I pulled over to see if a leaf or something was stuck to my head lights. Since I couldn’t find anything, and the way it’s so perfectly placed in the oncoming lane, that I assumed it was a safety feature, but I could tell I didn’t like it. The dealerships know very little about this vehicle, most barely have any inventory. I’ve got a feeling we are going to have to live with it. ☹

#23 ·
Hyundai giveth and Hyundai taketh away. Obviously those great headlights protect oncoming drivers from being blinded. My Tuscson Limited is also equipped with Auto Hi-Beam, as is my ‘19 Santa Fe. Works great!

#26 ·
Last night was the first time I drove my new Tucson in the dark. The high beam was good but the low beam as described by others was, in my opinion very dangerous. There was an absence of light on the forward right of the car and a sharp clear cut off line of darkness. This does not allow easy visibility of centre line markings or for example pedestrians crossing in front of the car. It is even worse with oncoming traffic with their lights on. I question whether it actually conforms to Australian (ADR ) design rules re headlight design and illumination. In my opinion it is very dangerous and unacceptable and I will be writing to Hyundai to get some resolution. Certainly I will be making my opinions felt over this. I might point out that despite reading many reviews of the Tucson and watching videos, the only comment about the lights was that halogen (in the lower spec models) was fitted rather than LED, a careless omission.

#29 ·
I’m wondering if this is an issue isolated to the limited models with the refractor headlights instead of the typical reflector headlights that the lower trims have. I have the SEL model and I am not having this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bought my white Tucson 2.0 base model 4 days ago and I am generally delighted with it. It suits me. But aas this thread discusses, the Halogen Low Beam illumination is terrible. I too have large areas of darkness forward and to the right. I have researched upgrading to 3rd part (autopro) LED and maybe that is a solution. But I would like to hear from Hyundai. So I sent of a letter pointing out that this is a significant safety issue especially with oncoming traffic, wet roads and rain. last night the right hand side of the road was just confusing darkness and oncoming lights. There was no white line visible.
I encourage all to draft a letter to Hyundai (customercare@hyundai.com.au;) and express concern.
I have asked too for technical dept suggestions if appropriate for an LED upgrade and details of the low beam fix. But certainly this problem exists, it is not our fault and it is solvable by Hyundai. So nagging them politely to get a solution is the way to go.
My dealer suggested to drop in an over the counter LED bulb to increase brightness but I think there is much more to it than that. Keep nagging Hyundai.

#28 ·
We complained enough as well as video taped driving on various roads, hills, downhill, curves, etc. The service department drive our Tucson at night. Even the service dept guys were stunned how bad that spot is. The dealership after a week of trying to solve the issue let us try some other vehicles. We discovered the 2021 Santa Fe was better as the lights are higher. They worked with us to get a Santa Fe. The dark spot is to continue being there as it is a new law all vehicles have to be equipped to protect oncoming traffic. The insurance company is also concerned about what we discovered. Best advice is before buying with this new law to drive the vehicle at night to see what the lights are like. I was very nervous about having and accident over the fact I would not be able to see someone or something (deer) in that shadow.

#61 ·
The dark spot is to continue being there as it is a new law all vehicles have to be equipped to protect oncoming traffic.
Whoever told you that lied. There are specific laws concerning headlight design, and making a "V" notch in the beam pattern is neither common nor required by any law.

The two standardized beam patterns are DOT (US) and ECE (EU).

Both share the same goal of reducing glare to oncoming traffic:
Slope Font Rectangle Circle Plot

DOT:
Rectangle Font Circle Event Art

ECE:
Automotive lighting Window Rectangle Tints and shades Automotive mirror

Hyundai with its dual projector LED array appears to be doing something alien by cutting a "V" notch in the pattern, and sometimes it seems this pattern just isn't aimed properly.

#37 ·
I'm wondering if it has something to do with the headlight placement. Being mounted so low to the road would limit the amount of downward angle available to the lights. To avoid the need to lower the aim of the left headlight to protect oncoming traffic, which would be at the driver's forward vision expense, blocking the light shining into oncoming traffic may have been viewed as a compromise? Completely a SWAG (scientific wild ass guess):rolleyes:

#41 ·
When I first saw the low-mounted headlights and had a chance to think about them I came to the opinion that they were designed that way to enhance the driver's night vision. In most cars on low beams, there is a noticeable line where the road seems to go dark ahead. By lowering the position of the lights I imagine that dark cutoff can be extended further down the road.

Also, I expected that the night performance is improved for the Lane Keeping Assist, Lane Following Assist, Driver Attention Warning by illuminating the lane markings better and further ahead. I thought it was pretty smart. I hadn't considered the issue of oncoming traffic.

Again this is just my musings on the subject not based on any inside information just completely a SWAG (scientific wild ass guess).

#42 ·
Wondering if anyone is experiencing a void of light or shadow out in front of you on the driver side when driving with low beams on.
Published 9/1, read bottom of 3rd paragraph "made before August 2021, rated "Poor," due to excessive glare for oncoming motorists. That appears to have been corrected with the upgraded headlights."

#45 ·
For what it's worth...the IIHS gave the 2022 Tucson a Top Safety Pick+ rating, and gave the LED Projector lights on the Limited a "Good" rating.

Article attached: