Hyundai Forums banner
141 - 155 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Tucson HEV Ultimate, White/Grey
280 Posts
1500 km trip, Hamilton (Canada) to Ellicot City MD, 7.7 litter per 100 KM, (31 MPG), rain, snow and high winds during 70% of the drive.
What speeds were you going? Asking because we did a round trip Ottawa-London, about 1300 km total, and observed VERY poor mileage when traveling 120 kph or higher. To get what you reported (about 7.7 l/100k), I would've needed to keep it at 110-115 kph, max.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Here's a question that is likely dumb, but that rarely stops me:

With the PHEV model if you charge it up at home, and then leave for a long trip, once the charge that it got from being plugged in is depleted, is the vehicle then basically in gasoline-only mode until you have a chance to charge it up again somewhere, or does it act like the non plug-in hybrid, and the gasoline engine is used to charge the battery?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Here's a question that is likely dumb, but that rarely stops me:

With the PHEV model if you charge it up at home, and then leave for a long trip, once the charge that it got from being plugged in is depleted, is the vehicle then basically in gasoline-only mode until you have a chance to charge it up again somewhere, or does it act like the non plug-in hybrid, and the gasoline engine is used to charge the battery?
It acts like a non-plug-in hybrid, just a little less efficient (due to more weight)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Picked up my 2022 Hyundai Tucson SEL Hybrid last week and have already put on 525 miles. After just over 300 miles I filled-up (10 gal) and averaged just 30.1 mpg. That was driving conservatively with probably 60% freeway (73-75mph), 30% secondary highway (45-60 mph) and 10% city. Not great and not close to the 36 hwy rating for this model but the engine (and tires) do need to break-in. MPG does seem to be trending slightly higher with the last 200 miles running at 31.9 with pretty much the same driving mix (30.8mpg overall for 525mi). I have no doubt that I could hit the 37 city rating but I doubt I'll get 36 on the freeway...not and keep up with the traffic flow anyway.
Any better now?
I'm getting high 20's and a VERY conservative driver. Only 1,200 miles on it.
Dealer said nothing is wrong with the car.
Why did I spend the extra on a hybrid?

·
Registered
'22 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Limited
116 Posts
Any better now?
Mine got better and leveled out at around 4-5K miles to where, now, I get overall 32+ MPG with 2/3 of that being freeway (75-80) and 1/3 being local driving (I'm now at 15k and it's been steady for the last 10k miles). A recent tank was 33.7mpg, calculated. On those tanks where I flip that and do 2/3 in town (with some short freeway stints at 70-75) I get 34+. I've never gotten more than 35 on a full tank, although I think I might if the entire tank was local driving, which I never do. It does take the battery time to 'break-in' and I noticed it getting closer to fully charged, which allows stints on battery alone for a few miles, once I hit around 4k miles. There were a few threads here where this break-in was discussed. I presume you are using top tier 87 octane, too.

With the hybrid, you have a quieter car with better acceleration and a better AWD system, too. Hang in there and give it a little more time.

Good luck.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yep, it took awhile for us too, but now we are averaging 32-36 MPG depending on factors such as how much weight we have in the vehicle, elevation changes, and speed. Once you are going over 70 MPH for awhile, the MPG will go down - often dropping into the mid-to-high 20’s, especially if the vehicle is also fully loaded (with people and luggage, plus sometimes a cargo carrier hitched to the rear).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Any better now?
Around "town" (rural is more descriptive - 50mph with stops ever mile or so) the computer says we get 38-42, in the summer.
Driving on trips 80mph on the freeway from 2500 ft up to 4400 feet we got 26mpg. Driving back we got into the 30s and on the same tank back in rural driving we're up to about 36mpg on that same tank.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Over in the UK - my driving is generally a long motorway journey every 2 weeks and a lot of town driving. Since I bought the car, the average is now 45.1mpg) (around 34 US gallons) and the last tankful was 46.8 (around 35mp US gallon). I've done 5,700 miles.

Alan

·
Registered
2022 Tucson
439 Posts
At 9,000 miles my overall mileage from day 1 is 33.8 mpg. I consistently can get 40 to 42 in Florida if I stay under 70, it drops a little in States with more hills to around 38 to 40.
70 to 75 is mostly around 34 to 36 mpg, and 80 to 85 where the speed limit allows it still gets something around 28-29 mpg.

I use the stop and go feature in traffic that I feel does boost the mpg at least a little when I see how long the car is off since I have had it when in traffic. And if I use the speed control and let it slow down the car and pick back up in traffic that too probably saves some gas because it starts off each time slower than my foot does.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hybrid SEL Convenience, 700 miles round trip on the Florida plains with a cruise speed around 85 mph I got 27.2 mpg. There's no doubt that the 1.6L is too small for highway high speeds.
Good luck getting any better than that with any hybrid suv at those speeds. If you did that with a crv hybrid, the engine would be screaming over 4000 rpm on gas only. A Rav 4 would be pretty much the same.You are on gas only at those speeds with the Tucson also (the electric motor has only about 50hp after all) unless you are on an extended downhill grade (not likely in FLA), but your rpms are probably closer to 3000rpm. Try this: do your 85mph cruise until your battery reads full. Then cut it down to 65-70, forcing ev mode as much as you can until your battery gets to about half. I guess you will bump your mpg up at least 3 or 4 mpg. I stay between 65-72mph on New England roads and achieve rated mpg (38) consistently with my "Blue" hybrid. I don't think the engine is too "small". It has 185hp and plenty of torque. I think Hyundai should have given this car one more overdrive gear for folks that like to cruise at higher speeds. You are always on gas anyway so the economy of the hybrid technology wouldn't be affected and you would likely get closer to 30mpg at 80+mph.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Tucson SEL, 2.5 liter. I noticed my wife's Tucson MPG display was showing around 37 mpg overall which made me think the computer was off. So I did a little test before a 100 mile mainly highway trip. I filled the car up and than again after I was close to our destination. The 87 mile trip had the computer showing 43.2 mpg. However, the gas pump shows approx 2.2 gallons to refill. The math comes out to 39.5 mpg's which isn't bad for a non hybrid but does show the computer was off by approx 4 mpg.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Personal luxury car
Measuring instrument Font Gas Technology Display device

141 - 155 of 155 Posts