Hyundai Forums banner
121 - 140 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
Tucson 2022 Hybrid Limited USA
97 Posts
Also, in regards to MPG for highway driving -- cruise control will result in a lower MPG than manual speed control, because the cruise will try and maintain an exact or nearly exact speed, rather than allowing a little slowdown or speedup (uphill and downhill). For me, that resulted, on a recent 200+ mile trip, in about 3-4 mpg difference (cruise at about 72mpg, Minnesota)

·
Registered
'22 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Limited
116 Posts
Also, in regards to MPG for highway driving -- cruise control will result in a lower MPG than manual speed control, because the cruise will try and maintain an exact or nearly exact speed, rather than allowing a little slowdown or speedup (uphill and downhill). For me, that resulted, on a recent 200+ mile trip, in about 3-4 mpg difference (cruise at about 72mpg, Minnesota)
Agreed....it definitely doesn't go into EV mode as much when on cruise, and the mileage does suffer....there is just so much my right foot and ankle can take on long drives, so I opt for the cruise to reduce the discomfort....😎

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi wanted to give all an update on my mpg since my previous post...overall seeing an improvement. after driving about 387miles my mpg improved from 30.5 to 34.5mpg on the odometer but wasn't sure how accurate, seemed to overcalculate my mpg. in fact during the last 200 miles of my trip my odometer was giving me readings of 38mpg sometimes but it seemed a littler over optimistic. anyway when i went to fill gas i was able put in 11.917 gallons, so calculated mpg is a little lower at 32.5mpg. however, even that is not accurate and skewed since my first 120miles were probably giving me only around 29mpg (even though odometer was saying 30.5, i am assuming it was also overcalculated just like above). I calculate the last 265 miles were probably giving me around 34mpg which is a significant improvement. will continue to keep track but i am optimistic that as the battery breaks in i will slowly get up to at least 37-38mpg, super excited and happy about the results :)

the only issue that i noticed recently was that the turning angle does not seem to be that great...i was trying to get out of a tight parking spot the other day and it took a little forward/reverse several times...luckily the 360 view cameras are awesome...not a deal breaker or anything but just something i noticed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
After being extremely disappointed with the MPG on the Hybrid, as I posted previously here...I have started getting a good increase in the MPG which began after putting on 3K miles on the car...At 3K I went from averaging 28-30 to averaging 35 MPG and it has been steadily going up as I put more miles on it. But after I got to 5,000 miles, I started averaging 40-42 MPG for the last few gas tanks. Don't understand why it took this long to get to this MPG level. I am also finding that I don't need to work at it to achieve this higher mpg, driving it more like a regular gas engine car..... Now if I can only figure out how to disconnect wireless CarPlay and use it wired, I will be perfectly happy with this car. It appears wireless is the only way to use Apple CarPlay on the Hybrid SEL and I have come to disdain it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
After being extremely disappointed with the MPG on the Hybrid, as I posted previously here...I have started getting a good increase in the MPG which began after putting on 3K miles on the car...At 3K I went from averaging 28-30 to averaging 35 MPG and it has been steadily going up as I put more miles on it. But after I got to 5,000 miles, I started averaging 40-42 MPG for the last few gas tanks. Don't understand why it took this long to get to this MPG level. I am also finding that I don't need to work at it to achieve this higher mpg, driving it more like a regular gas engine car..... Now if I can only figure out how to disconnect wireless CarPlay and use it wired, I will be perfectly happy with this car. It appears wireless is the only way to use Apple CarPlay on the Hybrid SEL and I have come to disdain it.
Interesting that you just posted this. We are approaching 3k on our Hybrid Ltd and I noticed a nice increase over the last two tanks of better than 2 mpg and I'm doing a lot of that at 75-80. It shall be interesting to see how well the vehicle does as we go towards 5K miles on the ODO. I've also noticed the traction battery reaching a higher charge, now, than it did before and was thinking that might be part of the reason for the increase. Maybe the system just needed to 'learn'? Have you noticed the traction battery charging much closer to full, too, as you've put more miles on the ODO?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Interesting that you just posted this. We are approaching 3k on our Hybrid Ltd and I noticed a nice increase over the last two tanks of better than 2 mpg and I'm doing a lot of that at 75-80. It shall be interesting to see how well the vehicle does as we go towards 5K miles on the ODO. I've also noticed the traction battery reaching a higher charge, now, than it did before and was thinking that might be part of the reason for the increase. Maybe the system just needed to 'learn'? Have you noticed the traction battery charging much closer to full, too, as you've put more miles on the ODO?
Yes, definitely have noticed that the battery has charged closer to full to actually being full. It has also stayed in the EV mode much, much longer than it use to be as I drive. I got to the point in the early stage that I wasn't going to be OCD with the mpg and just drive and enjoy the car. Then I started noticing the steady increase with the mpg.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Manuel actual says the breaking period for battery is 4000 miles and you may get low mpg prior to that. I am assuming that is probably a safe estimate to cover themselves so they don't get angry feedback from buyers early on. Based on a lot of people responses it seems at least 1000 miles is when u start to notice a big difference

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I have a deposit on a SEL Hybrid. Quick question, does anyone know if the oil filter on these 1.6 L turbos is a spin on filter or a cartridge filter, any chance you have the part #?
The vehicle I am trading is also a hybrid that was averaging about 40 MPG but that is using 100% gas which I plan on trying on the Tuscan.

I understand the 3 years of maintenance is an oil change every 7,500 miles, is that correct? Maybe tire rotation but what about a cabin air filter every 12-15,000 miles?

Is there a tachometer on these?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a deposit on a SEL Hybrid. Quick question, does anyone know if the oil filter on these 1.6 L turbos is a spin on filter or a cartridge filter, any chance you have the part #?
The vehicle I am trading is also a hybrid that was averaging about 40 MPG but that is using 100% gas which I plan on trying on the Tuscan.

I understand the 3 years of maintenance is an oil change every 7,500 miles, is that correct? Maybe tire rotation but what about a cabin air filter every 12-15,000 miles?

It's a cartridge.

·
Registered
319 Posts

I would call myself an average driver. I get 35-36 mpg city in ECO mode.

In highway it's around 30-32 mpg.

I don't see how I would be able to get 40 mpg regularly.

Also, yes there is an option to display tachometer. You can even set the preference for each drive mode. So if you wanted only tachometer on ECO mode but the standard display on the other two you can.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes, definitely have noticed that the battery has charged closer to full to actually being full. It has also stayed in the EV mode much, much longer than it use to be as I drive. I got to the point in the early stage that I wasn't going to be OCD with the mpg and just drive and enjoy the car. Then I started noticing the steady increase with the mpg.
That's encouraging, thanks

·
Registered
2022 Tucson HEV Ultimate, White/Grey
280 Posts
the only issue that i noticed recently was that the turning angle does not seem to be that great...i was trying to get out of a tight parking spot the other day and it took a little forward/reverse several times...luckily the 360 view cameras are awesome...not a deal breaker or anything but just something i noticed.
Yes, I'd also prefer a smaller turning circle but I do welcome the extra cargo space made possible by the stretched wheelbase (3.4" longer than the 2021 Tucson). I guess this is why the European versions have a smaller wheelbase (and smaller, overall) - to achieve a tighter turning circle, since maneuverability in tight spaces is a greater priority there.

And I couldn't agree more about that 360 view camera! My first was in a 2008 Infiniti EX35 and since then, that feature has been near the top of my wish list when car shopping!

·
Registered
2021 Stormy Sea Santa Fe Calligraphy 2.5L Turbo 8DCT HTRAC 20" wheels
1,813 Posts
Could it just be less drag at higher altitudes?
While less drag might be true in aviation, it's negligible in autos. The real difference is the lower air volume (thinner air) as measured by the ECU. To keep the same air/gas mixture ratio the ECU will adjust the injectors to supply less gas to keep the air/fuel ratio the same as the car climbs. So less gas means better gas mileage.

For anyone that is old enough to remember driving in a normally aspirated car with a carburetor and had to get out of the car to adjust the carb jets as you climbed from SF (sea level) to Reno (over the mountains) you found that you had almost zero power as climbed as the car was running way rich. Most would just slug away, make it over the mountains and performance would return when you started to go down. Those of us that like to play with their cars and had a toolbox, would get out and crank down the jets as you saw the RPM climb. Of course, on the way down you got out and put them back.

·
Registered
'22, Tucson hybrid, SEL convenience
102 Posts
This is a turbo engine, so wouldn't that negate the difference in air pressure? I think all that humidity in Fl is slowing him down there :cool: In reality, maybe just a difference on how much the ac is running.

·
Registered
116 Posts
For anyone that is old enough to remember driving in a normally aspirated car with a carburetor and had to get out of the car to adjust the carb jets as you climbed from SF (sea level) to Reno (over the mountains) you found that you had almost zero power as climbed as the car was running way rich. Most would just slug away, make it over the mountains and performance would return when you started to go down. Those of us that like to play with their cars and had a toolbox, would get out and crank down the jets as you saw the RPM climb. Of course, on the way down you got out and put them back.
HaHa...I still remember, years ago, going over the mountains in Colorado on my carbureted Harley....absolutely no power above 5000 feet, made even worse by the fact that i was two-up! The next time I took that trip, I had one of (at the time) new EFI Harleys, and it was easy peasy the whole way.

I remember an early 60's M/T Plymouth with (I believe) a 383 with a 4bbl carb...and pulling over, like you said, to adjust the carbs at altitude...but then, again, all you needed to do was removed the air cleaner box and the carb was right there....actually had a friend with a similar vehicle and he carried a high altitude carb with him and would just swap them out when he went into the mountains where he had a cabin....the simplicity of those old engines made things much easier, indeed.

Thanks for the memory!

Robert

·
Registered
23 Posts
Tucson Hybrid 230hp 2WD here currently about 9000 miles driven and average consumption shows 38.6 MPG. Mixed driving in city, highway and freeway also. Winter is starting here so expecting figures to go down quite a bit.

-Skeema

·
Registered
103 Posts
I track my mileage on Fuelly and have since new. Got almost 7000 miles on our Limited Hybrid. The Fuelly graph looks like an echocardiogram. One trip it will be low 30's and the next fillup will be high 20's. Other than a 700 mile trip(which by the way yielded the highest mileage to date at 36.2 mpg), overall I am disappointed. Lifetime average is 30.9 over that 7000 miles driven. Interestingly enough earlier on the computer displayed mileage was pretty darn close to the actual hand calculations. As mileage has accumulated on the vehicle the computer number becomes less and less accurate to the actual hand calculated number. The latest fillup, the computer indicated 34.2 mpg and the actual hand calculated number came in at 29.6

121 - 140 of 155 Posts