Hyundai Forums banner
101 - 120 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Tucson HEV Ultimate, White/Grey
280 Posts
It's a shame there's no way to see the RPM of the engine to see just how fast you can cruise without breaking like 2.5-3k.
Does your car NOT have a tachometer display?!

In my Canadian version, there's a place where you can configure the drive modes in which you want the tachometer displayed on the right side.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Highway speeds kill the hybrid MPG, it will shine at lower city conmuting speeds.
I didn't get the Tucson Hybrid for its MPG but for its performance over the "regular" Tucson. Coming from a 3.3 V6 Twin Turbo the sluggish acceleration of the regular Tucson was a NO NO for me. I'm feeling very happy getting almost twice better MPG than with my latest car without sacrificing too much performance.
same here, the MPG factor wasn't my hybrid purchase dealbreaker...

when i heard there was an a hybrid Limited on its way to dealer just one week away, the prospect of no fumes in my garage, the increased MPGS & added hp/torque neutralized the extra $2200 cost, i was like, YES PLEASE, where do i sign?!

·
Registered
412 Posts
I am easily getting 36+mpg combined, driving normally. If I make the least amount of effort to feather the gas and stay on battery power I can push well past 50 mpg on short around town trips. On longer highway trips, a short stint in power mode will fully charge the hybrid battery and allow sustained periods of 65-70 mpg electric power cruises, which increases overall mpg. I couldn't be more satisfied. Thought I would miss having a tach but the eco gauge works well at maximizing mileage numbers.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'll have to check, but the last time I looked we were getting a little under the EPA estimates, but here in Texas, with the 70 or 75 MPH speed limits on most interstates, I'm not surprised.

Honestly though, based on some quick calculations I made a couple of weeks ago, the additional costs over a year would be pretty minimal.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The other thing that I found eye-opening was reading how potentially misleading using MPG to gauge fuel usage, instead of using Gallons per mile (or gallons per 100 miles).

Most people would probably think that you would save more money on gasoline by upgrading from a vehicle that gets 25 MPG to one that gets 50 MPG (an increase of 25 MPG), compared to upgrading from a vehicle that gets 10 MPG to a 20 MPG vehicle (only a 10 MPG increase). But when you run the numbers, you'll find that you would save twice as much fuel with the latter scenario, over the first one.

(I know in some other countries, they will use "liters per 100 KM", which is effectively the same thing.)

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid Blue trim
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
I completed the first leg of a 2200 mi trip today. This is my first tank of just blasting down the freeway. I kept my speed at 70mph (80mph speed limit) because I'm not in a rush. I started early morning in SE Idaho about 50F outside and got 35 to 36 mpg ave. As I dropped into the Salt Lake basin temperatures rose to the high 70s and my average improved to 38. This surprised me because I figured the lower elevation would hurt my ave. I guess the hotter temps won out. I burned through the tank and measured 39mpg. This is with a hybrid blue and 87 E0 gas. I'm really pleased with the FE. I guestimated 35 mpg at 70mph and got that and a little more. So I can expect a range of 500 miles on the road in good conditions without range anxiety.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The other thing that I found eye-opening was reading how potentially misleading using MPG to gauge fuel usage, instead of using Gallons per mile (or gallons per 100 miles).

Most people would probably think that you would save more money on gasoline by upgrading from a vehicle that gets 25 MPG to one that gets 50 MPG (an increase of 25 MPG), compared to upgrading from a vehicle that gets 10 MPG to a 20 MPG vehicle (only a 10 MPG increase). But when you run the numbers, you'll find that you would save twice as much fuel with the latter scenario, over the first one.

(I know in some other countries, they will use "liters per 100 KM", which is effectively the same thing.)
Excellent point and great reminder.

10MPG: This trip will require 1,200 gallons of gas, which amounts to a fuel cost of $3,600.
20MPG: This trip will require 600 gallons of gas, which amounts to a fuel cost of $1,800.

25MPG: This trip will require 480 gallons of gas, which amounts to a fuel cost of $1,440.
50MPG: This trip will require 240 gallons of gas, which amounts to a fuel cost of $720.

The first for every 12K miles (average year usage) would save $1800 and the latter would only save $720, even though as you say both are doubling the mileage.

I average 16mpg with my Ram, so if switching to a 30mpg combined Tucson I'd save ~$1000 a year. Now the other complication of course is depreciation. The depreciation curve on a 2009 vehicle is very low, whereas a brand new one is going to be at peak depreciation, so I may not actually save any money, and the switch would be more for changing needs than pure economic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Finally got my hybrid tucson a couple of days ago and super happy so far. Wanted to just give short detail of my experience and also wanted advice/opinions on my mpg performance so far.
First I love the car, and still cant believe I got it. when I first started looking a month ago, I asked around the several dealerships in my area, and they all said no stock was available and all incoming deliveries were taken. they told me it would even be may be 6-8 months if I ordered a car. I started looking at places upto 2 hours away even to find one. finally found a place, drove all the way there and when I sat down to discuss buying it they marked up the price by almost $4000!!!, (which was not shown on their website), and they were offering about $3000 less than KBB value on my 2019 forester trade. And the sales guy was kind of rude and pretty much like we wont negotiate, if you dont like it take a hike. Luckily I didnt give in and came home. I almost decided to just give up, but I decided to inquire at the local dealership one last time, the secretary who I initial spoke to again said all incoming deliveries were already taken and ordering would take a long time. I thought that was it, but about an hour later a sales guy called same day and said that he actually had access to additional inventory that was coming in soon and lucky me they had a White hybrid limited with black interior which i was looking for available. went same day, dude was incredibly polite, they didnt mark up their car, although he didnt budge from MSRP which I expected, but he also offered a pretty fair price close to KBB value for my forester. Anyways my tucson limited hybrid came in a couple of days ago and I finally brought it home.

Overall super happy. i have to say it feels a lot more premium up close than in videos or photos. I actually like the piano black in person, and i pretty much already got used to all touch control/no knobs that everyone complains about. has not been an issue for me. I personally love the design and how unique it looks, especially after my subaru. (not knocking subaru it served me very well and was very dependable).

there were 2 issues though right before i got my car that i was worried about. one of them is now a nonissue, the other one i am still not sure

1) first i was super worried about all this talk about the pedestrian warning sound. and i have to say, i dont know what every one is complaining about. either some people have very low tolerance for sound or despite what hyundai/dealers say there must be a way to reduce the sound and the manufacturer must be sending some vehicles with lower sound. if you ask me on a scale of 1-10 , I would place the sound at a 3/10. I mean its there, but nothing loud. I live in a townhome and have not gotten any "embarassing" stares, complaints at home or outside when reversing (although it has only been 2-3 days). I was really worried about it initially and even was considering whether to go through with buying the car. it was the first thing i checked when i went to pickup my car. luckily not an issue at all

2) MPG-this is little more of an issue. i read a lot of forum, went through a lot of reviews online and mostly average mpg was around 34-36 it seems. there were outliers that were reporting around 28-30. I was really hoping i wouldnt be an outlier but i am a little worried. now granted I have only had the car for 2-3 days, so far have only 102 miles. i was averaging around 31-32 with mostly city traffic. but today took about a 20-25 mile highway trip and that dropped my average to 30. first of all i know its only 100 miles. that doesnt worry me too much.
my main issue is the EV mode seems very finicky. i really cant stay in it for more than 5-10 seconds. even pushing on the gas pedal very minimally seems to push it out of EV/charging section and into just the eco part. and I mean barely touching the gas pedal to go from like 20mph to 30mph seems to rev up, and it jumps out of EV mode. i have to try extremely hard to get EV mode even then any minor change in driving and it immediately slips out of EV mode. is this just the break in period??? i was kind of surprised because on redline reviews and alex on autos who i trust, they seemed to mention just cruising on EV mode throughout town. now i do need to mention i think my battery for the last two days seems to have like 3bars may be 4 bars, i dont think it has ever been charged to 50%. i am wondering if i have been pushing the EV mode artificially too much and the battery needs to be charged to 70-90% initially before we really see more prolonged EV modes.
anyway would appreciate any thought or advice. sorry for the long post. at the end of the day, the mpg wasnt my main reason for buying the car. still love everything else about it. but would be nice if i could at least pull 34-35 mpg. my 2019 forester wasnt the best car, but it was definitely functional and dependable. i got 30mpg average over 3 years without issue and on highways the mpg was amazing. but it was just a little bland.
anyway that it, and sorry again for the length.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid Blue trim
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
I think everybody is disappointed with the hybrid fuel economy at first. I was. Now I'm amazed (in a good way) at the fuel economy. Of course the engine will be a little tight when new but I'm told the traction battery needs a few charge/discharge cycles to get to full capacity. Whatever. The FE improves, even on the road. The charge algorithm generally keeps the ICE delivering power and charging the battery until the SOC reaches about 75% then the ICE goes to sleep and the traction motor takes over. The cycle starts again when SOC reaches 45%. Lots of other things come into play, though.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks for the details! It was a very interesting read. Since I’ve had different Prius models since 2004, I consider myself well versed in driving hybrids. When I picked up my vehicle last week I employed the same methods of driving my Prius. I’ve only put on a little over 100 miles, but I’m averaging 35 mpg. On one 15 mile suburban drive I averaged 40!! If you drive it gently and stay in the eco range, you’ll do well. Another important item is to use TOP TIER gas. It definitely makes a difference. I usually buy Shell, but if you look online there are quite a few national brands are TOP TIER.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Limited
73 Posts
my main issue is the EV mode seems very finicky. i really cant stay in it for more than 5-10 seconds. even pushing on the gas pedal very minimally seems to push it out of EV/charging section and into just the eco part. and I mean barely touching the gas pedal to go from like 20mph to 30mph seems to rev up, and it jumps out of EV mode. i have to try extremely hard to get EV mode even then any minor change in driving and it immediately slips out of EV mode. is this just the break in period??? i was kind of surprised because on redline reviews and alex on autos who i trust, they seemed to mention just cruising on EV mode throughout town. now i do need to mention i think my battery for the last two days seems to have like 3bars may be 4 bars, i dont think it has ever been charged to 50%. i am wondering if i have been pushing the EV mode artificially too much and the battery needs to be charged to 70-90% initially before we really see more prolonged EV modes.
anyway would appreciate any thought or advice. sorry for the long post. at the end of the day, the mpg wasnt my main reason for buying the car. still love everything else about it. but would be nice if i could at least pull 34-35 mpg.
The Tucson appears to attempt to keep the hybrid battery charge level between roughly 35% and 75% (presumably for the sake of battery lifespan).

What this means in practice is the Tucson's willingness to engage (and remain in) EV mode is high when the charge level is high. As the charge level decreases, gentler and gentler applications of throttle may cause the ICE to kick on, until it gets low enough that the engine will run even if you're at a complete stop. That's probably why it feels finicky - the amount of influence your throttle input actually has over ICE/EV engagement is highest at medium charge, and wanes at low/high charge levels.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The Tucson appears to attempt to keep the hybrid battery charge level between roughly 35% and 75% (presumably for the sake of battery lifespan).

What this means in practice is the Tucson's willingness to engage (and remain in) EV mode is high when the charge level is high. As the charge level decreases, gentler and gentler applications of throttle may cause the ICE to kick on, until it gets low enough that the engine will run even if you're at a complete stop. That's probably why it feels finicky - the amount of influence your throttle input actually has over ICE/EV engagement is highest at medium charge, and wanes at low/high charge levels.
This is my very first hybrid, but I’ve noticed the same in my Canadian spec Tucson - though for mine, the charge level seems to range from 20-80%, which coincidentally (or not!) is the theoretical ideal for minimizing degradation for a Li-ion battery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for your replies...I think my battery charge is just low considering car is only 2-3 days old and I haven't given it time to really charge even past 40-50 percent. Hopefully once to charges at around 70-80% I will get better results. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
'22 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Limited
116 Posts
Thanks for your replies...I think my battery charge is just low considering car is only 2-3 days old and I haven't given it time to really charge even past 40-50 percent. Hopefully once to charges at around 70-80% I will get better results. Thanks for the input
Not sure if this means anything or not; however, it took my Tucson HEV almost 7-800 miles of driving on the ODO before I started noticing the battery charge getting as high as 75-80%. Never seen the 100% that a Toyota Avalon Hybrid that we owned for a few years used to get to, at least not yet...and from reading other comments, it seems like it may never get there the way the Hyundai system is programmed. It has been interesting, to me, when traveling on the highway at 75mph on a flat road (on cruise control) to see the vehicle get to about that 75-80% and then kick over to EV mode until it drops to about 25%, then back to the ICE. I can tell you that the Avalon would never go in EV mode at speeds over 25ish.....and you had to be super gentle to get to 15-20 before the ICE would kick in automatically. The Hyundai system is definitely NOT like the Toyota system.....much quieter, to boot, too!

At 75, we've been getting 32-34 mpg, depending on the distance driven and terrain....at 70, a little better. VERY happy with this car, indeed!

·
Registered
2022 Tucson PHEV ULT Deepsea/Grey
68 Posts
Here a long term test review from a UK for the PHEV model. I wonder why they getting 35miles EPA when here in North America our is rated at 33miles for EV. Looks like the same battery and everything.

TLDR
Tested the 3 modes; EV,HEV, AUTO
-HEV gets 39mpg
-AUTO gets 46mpg

·
Registered
280 Posts
Here a long term test review from a UK for the PHEV model. I wonder why they getting 35miles EPA when here in North America our is rated at 33miles for EV. Looks like the same battery and everything.

TLDR
Tested the 3 modes; EV,HEV, AUTO
-HEV gets 39mpg
-AUTO gets 46mpg

Maybe EPA is per US gallon (3.785 litres) while in the UK the measure is based on imperial gallons (4.546 litres).

101 - 120 of 155 Posts