Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I'm the new owner of a 2022 Tucson and I noticed that the car has the option for a hotel key style card. I've received 2 of the cards from the parts department but I'm having trouble pairing them.

Is it because the I need the iPhone software to be updated to be able to program the card?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Sonata Limited, 2021 Santa Fe Calligraphy
325 Posts
You need the digital key app installed on a compatible phone. My understanding is that the digital key app is not available for iPhone. It is discussed in section 5 of the owners manual.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hyundai Digital key is currently only compatible with select Android smartphones and is a separate app from the MyHyundai app. iPhone is currently not supported, but may be within the next year.

Additionally, the NFC cards you purchased from the part department are incompatible with the 2022 Tucson. Those cards only work with the Sonata (The only vehicle that comes with the NFC cards at purchase). Hyundai has not started production of the NFC cards for other vehicles in their lineup. The vehicle does have the software for the NFC card function, this is simply an issue of the NFC cards not being produced at current.

So if you are an iPhone user, which it sounds like, there is no way to currently take advantage of the Digital Key system.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hyundai Digital key is currently only compatible with select Android smartphones and is a separate app from the MyHyundai app. iPhone is currently not supported, but may be within the next year.

Additionally, the NFC cards you purchased from the part department are incompatible with the 2022 Tucson. Those cards only work with the Sonata (The only vehicle that comes with the NFC cards at purchase). Hyundai has not started production of the NFC cards for other vehicles in their lineup. The vehicle does have the software for the NFC card function, this is simply an issue of the NFC cards not being produced at current.

So if you are an iPhone user, which it sounds like, there is no way to currently take advantage of the Digital Key system.
I was looking through a downloaded manual which appears to be from the USA and this does mention the cards but I don't receive my 2022 model until June and will be UK spec so may be different

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid Limited
25 Posts
Hyundai's Digital Key system is included on the 2022 Tucson SEL and higher trim levels. This system uses Near Field Communication (NFC) technology and can be deployed in two ways:

- Smart Phone: currently, only newer Android phones support Hyundai's Digital Key system and require Hyundai's Digital Key app to be installed. Unfortunately, Apple does not currently support this functionality but is expected to at some future time.

- NFC Card Key: Digital Key Cards are available from Hyundai (Part#: L0H81 AK000), my dealership had them in stock or they can be ordered online. Only one Digital Key Card can be programmed per vehicle. Once programmed to your vehicle, they cannot be reprogrammed for use on a different vehicle. For more information, see 2022 Hyundai Tucson Owners Manual, pp 5-25 - 5-28.

To activate a Digital Key Card using an Android phone:
1. You need to have the Hyundai Digital Key app installed.
2. You must have an active Digital Key.
3. From the Digital Key Android app > Pair Card Key > NFC Authentication.
4. Tap your phone on the Driver's Side exterior handle. Once authenticated, you have 5 minutes to complete the next steps.
5. Place Digital Key on the Tucson's wireless charging pad.
6. On the Tuscon, Settings > Vehicle > Digital Key > Card Key > Save (be sure Key Fob is in the vehicle during this operation).
Your Digital Key Card should now be active.
7. Test by removing your phone and key fob from the vehicle. Then place Card Key horizontally on the Driver's Side exterior handle until you hear the door lock. If it doesn't work, Delete the Saved key and repeat Steps 3-6. See Owners Manual pp 5-25 & 5-26 for more information.
8. To drive using the Card Key, place it on the wireless charging pad and start the vehicle as you normally would.
9. Once started, remove the Card Key from the wireless charging pad to avoid damaging it from prolonged exposure.

The Digital Key using both the Android Phone and Card work great. Having the Card Key is an inexpensive backup to a lost Key Fob and a convenient means of giving someone the keys to your car without fear of losing your Key Fob.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Can anyone confirm that the NFC card purchased from dealership can be programmed to Tucson cars or are they only for Sonata?

·
Registered
‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T; ‘22 Tucson Limited 2.5
2,269 Posts
How do you get into the car in an electronics failure without carrying the key fob (which contains the emergency key) with you? Do you break the window with the digital key card?

·
Registered
9 Posts

I am an iPhone user and I purchased a NFC card for my vehicle through a Hyundai accessories Website. I was able to pair it to my vehicle and can now use the card key instead of the fob. However I hope Hyundai gets its act together soon and provides digital key options ios users.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid Limited
25 Posts
I am an iPhone user and I purchased a NFC card for my vehicle through a Hyundai accessories Website. I was able to pair it to my vehicle and can now use the card key instead of the fob. However I hope Hyundai gets its act together soon and provides digital key options ios users.
The Digital Key "phone" option is an iOS (Apple) limitation, not Hyundai. Apple expects to bridge the gap soon, but unfortunately could require a new iPhone.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went ahead an got a free Android phone with NFC from T-Mobile Metro ... $20 plan for one month and I should be able to pair the card.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello! I was wondering how you were able to pair the key card to the Tucson. I am an iPhone user as well and I am a bit lost

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello! I was wondering how you were able to pair the key card to the Tucson. I am an iPhone user as well and I am a bit lost
Never mind! With the help of the above post, I realized with an iPhone you can pair a key card by putting both key fobs in the car with you and going thru the setup steps on the infotainment system

·
Registered
9 Posts

Actually, the NFC card does works with other Hyundai models and can be paired to the vehicle even if you are an iPhone user. I have the 2021 Elantra and an iPhone. I simply got an NFC card from hyundai after reading the manual and followed the prompts on the infotainment system. Note: It was fairly easy to set up. Both key fobs had to be in the vehicle when pairing the NFC card.

·
Registered
2021 Stormy Sea Santa Fe Calligraphy 2.5L Turbo HTRAC 20" wheels
570 Posts
Note: It was fairly easy to set up. Both key fobs had to be in the vehicle when pairing the NFC card.
That is exactly the trick if you have an iPhone until Hyundai releases the NFC support for the iPhone. If both fobs are in the car, you can pair one NFC card.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can anyone confirm that the NFC card purchased from dealership can be programmed to Tucson cars or are they only for Sonata?
I programmed mine to my 2022 Tucson although I did have to use a friends Samsung phone because the app isn’t compatible with iPhone for pairing it, but once it paired I removed my friends phone and left the digital key fob paired and it continued to work. Just can’t wait for digital key to start working with iPhone!

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL Preferred FWD - Quartz White - Gray
27 Posts
As mentioned by Bookworm, the NFC Card Key can be linked to the car without a smartphone. I placed the new card key in the bin where a smartphone wirelessly charges. Had both key fobs in the car with me, then used the cluster menu to register the card key.

Reactions: Bookworm

·
Registered
11 Posts
As mentioned by Bookworm, the NFC Card Key can be linked to the car without a smartphone. I placed the new card key in the bin where a smartphone wirelessly charges. Had both key fobs in the car with me, then used the cluster menu to register the card key.
This is where I need help. I have both fobs in the car, I put the card where the charger is. I can find no place to pair it. I can activate it but it doesn’t work on its own. Basically I can’t find out how to pair it

1 - 20 of 24 Posts