Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2022 Tucson SEL shuddering at low speeds and idle and with gentle acceleration. Check engine light came on. Immediately took to dealer, still under warranty. Dealer says code is P030400. See below for codes. This was Jan 5. Dealer ordered new fuel injector. Part came in yesterday, now they’re telling me I got some bad gas (I get my gas at Costco, I don’t think it’s bad gas) that caused the issue. I asked them to save the fuel filter for me to look at.

My question: can 1 tank of “bad gas” cause a cylinder misfire at 18k miles??? Anyone else have this issue?? Thanks all.

Font Rectangle Parallel Technology Screenshot

· Registered
2022 Tucson
619 Posts
The filter may not give any clues, bad gas doesn't have to mean particles in it. Could be moisture, old etc. I wouldn't think Costco would have old gas. You need to find out how they know, what led them to check it now. The fact they actually ordered the part and were set to fix it could be a clue they are telling the truth. My thought is they found the cylinder is not bad and searched further.

· Registered
2015 Sonata Limited 2.4 GDI non turbo 40k miles Kona EV 2021 15k miles
709 Posts
Absolutely not. Bad gas is the biggest garage lie. "Maybe" a small obscure gas station may have a problem but it would take a lot water in gas to cause problems. As for debris, they are stopped at the in-tank fuel pump filter

· Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid Limited USA Market, Amazon Grey/Black With full OEM Spare
322 Posts
2022 Tucson SEL shuddering at low speeds and idle and with gentle acceleration. Check engine light came on. Immediately took to dealer, still under warranty. Dealer says code is P030400. See below for codes. This was Jan 5. Dealer ordered new fuel injector. Part came in yesterday, now they’re telling me I got some bad gas (I get my gas at Costco, I don’t think it’s bad gas) that caused the issue. I asked them to save the fuel filter for me to look at.

My question: can 1 tank of “bad gas” cause a cylinder misfire at 18k miles??? Anyone else have this issue?? Thanks all.

View attachment 478116
Absolutely it can.

· Registered
73 Posts

View attachment 478116
By any chance does the code indicate a specific cylinder that is having the issue or is it all of them? Bad gas would probably affect all of the cylinders randomly but one cylinder having the issue would not indicate bad gas. From the dealers initial assessment, sounds like they thought it was just one cylinder and ordered the fuel injector to fix that cylinder.

· Registered
6 Posts
A few years ago I put high test Shell in my Camaro. With one tankful they replaced my cat, fuel injectors, fuel sending unit and a few more parts. It was a one time blending error at the port. Shell paid for all of it on my car and hundreds of others. Dont even think for a minute that cannot happen. The question is, who is standing behind the gas. I'll pass on saving a few pennies and getting better gas with a company that would stand behind it. No cheap gas going into my cars that cost so much money.

· Registered
3 Posts
Symptoms like that can be as simple as a plug or coil that failed early. Not exactly common but not unheard of either… I’ve been on the receiving end of that bit of misfortune myself at one point. 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 - 8 of 8 Posts