Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi! I’m new here and I apologize for such a lengthy post, especially one of frustration, but I’m hoping I can find help here as I’m finding it nowhere else. We bought our first Hyundai (the 2022 Sonata Hybrid Limited) in March. We loved it, still love it …when it starts! Two weeks after buying we found that if it sits for 3-4 days (now as short as 2) we can’t get in. It’s so hard to get into that car without the remote key. We pried the handle off. Reset battery. Car alarm blasting. reset our settings. Several trips to different dealerships and no fix. They now won’t even look at it because Hyundai is saying it’s normal, that they designed it to do this (not start after it sits 3 days). Says all 2022 models do it.

I was told how great Hyundai is with warranties and great cars by so many people. And after spending my savings on it I have a car that everyone else can get 45-55 mpg but I’m stuck at 40, that I can’t let sit over a weekend or else I have to pry my handle off to get in, press a reset button to start it which makes my alarm go off and causes me to have to reset all my settings, pair my phone again, and drive it 30 min before I shut it off which means leave early for everything. It’s so frustrating that Hyundai won’t actually do anything. Worst company I’ve ever dealt with. Not even talk to me and then they make something up about their cars.

My questions: Is anyone else having this issue? And is this how Hyundai is with warranty issues? I found 3 others on Facebook that are experiencing this. They’re getting nowhere either. I’m now not sure what to even ask for from mediation (I’m on now). I asked for another battery, but they say no, so through the lemon law I asked for another sonata, but now I don’t think I want one. Is it just a lemon? Does Hyundai truly suck this bad at helping customers? Thank you for reading this. *edited to try to shorten it up. Sorry it’s so long.

·
Registered
8 Posts
we have only had ours since July 2500 miles on it and have not experienced that, has set about 4 or 5 days without trouble only had to hit the jump start once while shut off in garage setting stations and preferences but didn't lose any settings,worst tank was the first 45.5 but since 48 + average with 50.8 the high on highway figured by hand car computer always shows more.Good luck my dealer does Hyundai and Volkswagen from the same small shop, you have to make a month out appointment for oil change, hope I don't need real service.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
we have only had ours since July 2500 miles on it and have not experienced that, has set about 4 or 5 days without trouble only had to hit the jump start once while shut off in garage setting stations and preferences but didn't lose any settings,worst tank was the first 45.5 but since 48 + average with 50.8 the high on highway figured by hand car computer always shows more.Good luck my dealer does Hyundai and Volkswagen from the same small shop, you have to make a month out appointment for oil change, hope I don't need real service.
Thank you! I’m glad you’re not having this issue. I hope it doesn’t start up on you. I’m so jealous of your gas mileage. We’re going to see what it’s us doing actually too and not by the digital gauge. We did at first get around 45-47 it said but it’s just slowly dropping and I’m sure it’s due to a battery issue (service told me if battery isn’t working right then we won’t get good gas mileage either). We had it happen once after sitting 5 days (the first time ) so we figured it was ok and then fine for two months even if it sat and then it happened after 2 days sitting then just keeps happening now and losing all settings but it didn’t do that at first. Couldn’t get ours in either that first time till a month later and we too have a Hyundai / Volvo. Manager of our dealership actually says to me “that’s why I don’t buy these expensive luxury models. My wife’s Volvo does this all the time.” Say what? You sold this piece of crap to me lol. I guess lesson learned. Ask a manager what they drive and buy that. Ha ha. Service (but will not put this in writing) said they think it’s a bad battery batch and there will be a recall but Hyundai won’t pay them to swap our battery so they won’t try that. Pretty upset with Hyundais warranty so far and how they handle issues. The other people experiencing this are getting some dealers truly trying to assist and others like mine saying not their problem and all getting no help at all from Hyundai corporate. I’ll never buy a Hyundai again. I just found out too that next year is the last sonata so I’m wondering if that’s why they’re just ignoring us but who knows. If you do experience this more often let me know and I’ll pass it on to whichever lawyer I eventually choose lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same issue. Turns out it was the gps tracker thing the dealership installed. I disconnected it and haven't had a dead 12V battery in months. I even have an aftermarket stereo amplifier installed and can let the car sit for days without a dead battery. Not saying this is 100% your issue but I would start by asking if there are any dealer installed accessories installed that could be causing the drain.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had the same issue. Turns out it was the gps tracker thing the dealership installed. I disconnected it and haven't had a dead 12V battery in months. I even have an aftermarket stereo amplifier installed and can let the car sit for days without a dead battery. Not saying this is 100% your issue but I would start by asking if there are any dealer installed accessories installed that could be causing the drain.
Thank you, I’ll ask our service manager if that’s a possibility with ours. I hope so!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Two weeks after buying we found that if it sits for 3-4 days (now as short as 2) we can’t get in. It’s so hard to get into that car without the remote key. We pried the handle off. Reset battery. Car alarm blasting. reset our settings. Several trips to different dealerships and no fix. They now won’t even look at it because Hyundai is saying it’s normal, that they designed it to do this (not start after it sits 3 days). Says all 2022 models do it.
If I didn't realize that you're actually serious I'd say this has to be a joke. I've been seriously thinking of ordering one of these cars but if "all 2022 models do it" I have no interest whatsoever. Sometimes our (old) cars sit for a few weeks if we're traveling and they start fine when we come home. I have sent your thread to my local dealership to inquire about it. Glad you posted about this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I didn't realize that you're actually serious I'd say this has to be a joke. I've been seriously thinking of ordering one of these cars but if "all 2022 models do it" I have no interest whatsoever. Sometimes our (old) cars sit for a few weeks if we're traveling and they start fine when we come home. I have sent your thread to my local dealership to inquire about it. Glad you posted about this.
I sure wish I was joking. I wish I could upload my last service invoice where they tell me they are all supposed to do this (which is a lie, they’re not but unfortunately many are). I found others on a Facebook hybrid sonata group where they let theirs sit 11 days or more in a garage at the airport and it started fine. Then there’s me and the others that can’t let it sit more than 3-4 days (5 at most when it first began happening) and we have to break in to our own cars (it’s difficult to get that handle piece off when you can’t get in via the key remote). It’ll be interesting to see what your dealership says. I’d love to hear what they say if you don’t mind sharing. I’m sure they’ll say it’s not true but Hyundai corporate claims they’re lying to get a sale and that’s not on them because they’re not actually connected so if a salesman lies they said it’s on the dealership not them. I’m very disheartened about this whole experience and will never buy a Hyundai again. My sons Hyundai (a day older than mine) is also in the shop because of some transmission issue. I’m looking into a Camry now but I’m probably stuck with my sonata. We’ll see if a lawyer can help me figure it out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You should be able to let any car sit for weeks and not have any problems starting. Makes no sense. Having to break a handle to get in a car is beyond ridiculous. I will surely report back here when I get a reply. What you report is so unexpected being that the car gets such great reviews. I can’t find much about what you describe when googling it but I surely believe you. Most disappointing for sure. Funny you mention the Camry since that’s another car I’ve been considering. I test drove both a Sonata and Camry hybrid and like the interior and exterior design of the Sonata. I guess the more complicated they make these cars the more that can go wrong. Makes me want to hang on to my old 90s vehicles. At least they start every time nor am I ever locked out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You should be able to let any car sit for weeks and not have any problems starting. Makes no sense. Having to break a handle to get in a car is beyond ridiculous. I will surely report back here when I get a reply. What you report is so unexpected being that the car gets such great reviews. I can’t find much about what you describe when googling it but I surely believe you. Most disappointing for sure. Funny you mention the Camry since that’s another car I’ve been considering. I test drove both a Sonata and Camry hybrid and like the interior and exterior design of the Sonata. I guess the more complicated they make these cars the more that can go wrong. Makes me want to hang on to my old 90s vehicles. At least they start every time nor am I ever locked out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That’s so true about the more complicated the more to worry about and that’s what the dealership manager said to me which made me question why I bought it if even he thinks that. But I have to say I love everything else about it other than the battery and the dealing with Hyundai issues. The car drives great. I love all the extras that the Camry didn’t have. I think the battery is causing a few other tiny glitches but I’m not sure. Since I bought it I’ve been driving my 99 Jeep Cherokee as backup and it runs great, even if it sits weeks like you said. It’s been in a shop for nearly a month of the 5 months I’ve had it. That’s an inspector hired by bbb auto coming next week to check it out and help the arbitrator make a decision on what to do. I’ll update after that happens. I wouldn’t be so upset if Hyundai handled this properly. If they’d say it’s an odd issue and they’re sorry, they’ll try to figure it out, I’d be ok, not thrilled but definitely ok as long as they’re trying to figure out the problem but instead they lie. I got this car because like you I really researched and this had such great reviews that I thought I’d really made a good decision. But I think that from what I’m finding now Hyundai has changed over the past 2-3 years and no longer as good as they used to be with warranty and putting out vehicles with more issues. Unfortunately I didn’t do like you’re doing and investigate that stuff beforehand. I joined a few Camry forums now though to see how it’s doing and how Toyotas handling any issues. I’m not sure which other car to look into. The accord looked ok but I really liked the candy and Hyundai more. Feel free to message me if that’s possible in here. I’m happy to share my invoices that show what Hyundai is stating as their new normal for their hybrid vehicles. I guess since I finally got it in writing I should start sharing it with others more, especially websites like Car and Driver so they can go ask them if what they’re telling myself and the dealerships around me is true. Hmm. I think I’ll do that tomorrow! I have them on video actually saying it during arbitration.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
My next door neighbor had a brand new Avalon that would constantly die if left in the garage a couple of days, and had the same runaround with the dealership saying that the electronics in these newer tech heavy vehicles cause the battery drain, and it needs to be run every other day or so, which I said was nonsense, and I told them it was probably a bad battery, but the dealer insisted that it tested fine. After it happened a couple more times, the dealership installed a new battery and it never happened again.
The only other thing I can add to the comment about the door handle is that they aren’t breaking it, it’s just that the cap needs to pried with the key from the remote to access the key hole. You can see it done in this video.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Hi! I’m new here and I apologize for such a lengthy post, especially one of frustration, but I’m hoping I can find help here as I’m finding it nowhere else. We bought our first Hyundai (the 2022 Sonata Hybrid Limited) in March. We loved it, still love it …when it starts! Two weeks after buying we found that if it sits for 3-4 days (now as short as 2) we can’t get in. It’s so hard to get into that car without the remote key. We pried the handle off. Reset battery. Car alarm blasting. reset our settings. Several trips to different dealerships and no fix. They now won’t even look at it because Hyundai is saying it’s normal, that they designed it to do this (not start after it sits 3 days). Says all 2022 models do it.

I was told how great Hyundai is with warranties and great cars by so many people. And after spending my savings on it I have a car that everyone else can get 45-55 mpg but I’m stuck at 40, that I can’t let sit over a weekend or else I have to pry my handle off to get in, press a reset button to start it which makes my alarm go off and causes me to have to reset all my settings, pair my phone again, and drive it 30 min before I shut it off which means leave early for everything. It’s so frustrating that Hyundai won’t actually do anything. Worst company I’ve ever dealt with. Not even talk to me and then they make something up about their cars.

My questions: Is anyone else having this issue? And is this how Hyundai is with warranty issues? I found 3 others on Facebook that are experiencing this. They’re getting nowhere either. I’m now not sure what to even ask for from mediation (I’m on now). I asked for another battery, but they say no, so through the lemon law I asked for another sonata, but now I don’t think I want one. Is it just a lemon? Does Hyundai truly suck this bad at helping customers? Thank you for reading this. *edited to try to shorten it up. Sorry it’s so long.
This may sound dumb since your hybrid is new and under warranty, but since you’re not getting anywhere with the dealership, I suggest buying a good quality 12 volt battery and installing it yourself to see if it does the same thing. You can always return it within a few days if necessary. This way you can rule out the battery if it dies too.

Reactions: Tonfra

·
Registered
70 Posts
Vinnyg,

Thanks for that additional info.Still seems a hassle and something that should not be happening. Why isn’t the battery holding a charge? The only time I ever have to work with the battery on my old cars is when it goes bad after years of driving. I really am not sure now about buying one of these as much as I do like the Sonata. Fancy key fob and yet have to resort to pulling out a real key anyway!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Vinnyg,

Thanks for that additional info.Still seems a hassle and something that should not be happening. Why isn’t the battery holding a charge? The only time I ever have to work with the battery on my old cars is when it goes bad after years of driving. I really am not sure now about buying one of these as much as I do like the Sonata. Fancy key fob and yet have to resort to pulling out a real key anyway!
It is always possible that they had a bad batch of 12 volt batteries with dead cells. A sure fire test is installing a new battery to see if it drains as well.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Yeah, that could well be the case. Funny how neither of the two concerns I came across here show up on consumer reports.
Don't expect it to show up on CR for a while, and that's only if it's a widespread issue.
There is a way to possibly get them to move a bit faster on your issue and that's by reaching out here:
Warranty Complaints | Lemon Law Concerns | Hyundai USA

"All of us at Hyundai are working to deliver exceptional customer service and complete owner satisfaction. While we take pride in our brand and are committed to always improving vehicle quality, technology, and service, we understand that sometimes problems can arise. If they do, we want to be the first to help.
If you’ve had unsatisfactory service, have concerns about your warranty, need to issue a complaint about your vehicle, or have received a solicitation letter from a lemon law attorney, please let us know. While you may have considered contacting the Better Business Bureau (BBB), lemon law attorneys or your state’s Attorney General, our Customer Care Department is here to address any concern you might have—no issue is too big or too small.
Our goal is to give you one-on-one, personalized service and provide you with the best possible solution in the shortest amount of time. That’s our commitment to you."

·
Registered
70 Posts
Manager of our dealership actually says to me “that’s why I don’t buy these expensive luxury models
LOL...uh huh. Like a Sonata hybrid is in the luxury class? Not really.

and it needs to be run every other day or so,
Baloney. Doesn't make sense. Or if this is generally the case (which I doubt), jeers to Hyundai on a design flaw.

Since I bought it I’ve been driving my 99 Jeep Cherokee as backup and it runs great, even if it sits weeks like you said.
How ironic since I also have a Jeep (Grand) Cherokee - '97. Engine on that thing is bulletproof. This is one of the vehicles that we were planning on replacing with a Tucson hybrid Limited. Reading some of these threads though - not as certain.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts