Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here, hello! Some older threads that havent been updated in a while, just wondering if anyone has noticed the consumpion issues at all with their newer SantaFe. And I assume the issue applies to both NA and Turbo engines as it seems to be the same block/pistons.

Ive got a 2014 SantaFe 2.4 with about 120KM (70k ish miles) that I can still get something decent in for a trade in and want to avoid the GDI ticking time bomb, mind you the car has been good to me overall in the 5 year ownership.

Havent decided on if I want the turbo or not. I'll be doing short trips mostly for now which I read is bad for Turbos and the DCT, may change post covid/back to work/commute but who knows when that will be. Makes me hesitate abit to get a trubo also interms of getting the hybrid, cause its also a turbo and well not sure on hyndais overal quality on their bateries and implentation of this. (Any thoughts on that?) Cutos to them for avoiding a crappy CTV tho.

Ive had the 2.4 this whole time and while yes she aint fast, it got the job done. I was taught devensive driving and to plan my moves ahead of time for things like passing. Ive driven both the new 2.5NA and Turbo. Hate the 19"s on the turbo and would much rather the 18's for both look and ride quality of an 18" /60MM side wall tire (and cost of them to replace). I know I could switch them. The power WAS nice havent driven anything like that for a while, but worry about longevity. Seems like Id have to pay more attention not only to the Turbo but the DCT tranny?

I generally keep my cars longer that this, just trying to avoid the Theta death. Was gonna go RAV4, but to much of a downsize for rear passenger room and dont want a v6 due to fuel costs to consider something else (like a Pilot/Hylander) or a bloody CVT tranny with whimpy Turbo in anything else, so looks like SantaFe is my only option.

So summary:
Are these Engines ok from what we can tell from initial reports?
Turbo/DCT long term maintenance
Hyundai hybrids: you feel confident in them?

Thanks in advanced for your input and opinions.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T Awd
1,158 Posts
Too early to tell. These engines just came out late 2020.

Also, short trips that doesn't allow the engine to fully heat is bad for any engine not just turbos.

·
Registered
2021 Stormy Sea Santa Fe Calligraphy 2.5L Turbo HTRAC 20" wheels
766 Posts
So far no one that I know of has reported any engine issues with the 2.5 and I follow quite a few forums and even Facebook groups as I have one of the 2.5T's. But a good amount of people with both SF and Sonata N-Lines that have the 8 DCT transmissions (see the Sonata Forum) that have a born date between January and March 2020 have had quite a few problems with the transmission pooping out. No one has come back yet with a 'What it was' as they are all still in dealer parking lots waiting for diagnosis, parts or a complete swap out. Seems to be a slow leak and it has been confirmed that Hyundai stopped using gaskets on the transmissions and only uses gasket sealer on the bottom pans. But so far no one has said that it is the source of the leak as they generally just take it to the dealer and the dealer won't let them personally inspect their car.

So, 2.5's, again, new engine, but so far no real issues. Regular automatic transmissions (SE, SEL and FWD models) again no real issues. DCT tranny's in the Limited and Calligraphy AWD's, yup, problems reported but they are all clustered around Jan-March timeframe for the builds. I have a May build and while not high mileage yet, so far so good and she's as smooth as butter, both engine and transmission.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate the reply! Im thinking SEL trim for now. Wasnt a fan of how the DCT felt and want the 18" wheels. Kinda wish they just stuck with a torque converter 8speed for the Turbo, it was fun to have that extra omph. Thanks for the tip on build dates.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Appreciate the reply! Im thinking SEL trim for now. Wasnt a fan of how the DCT felt and want the 18" wheels. Kinda wish they just stuck with a torque converter 8speed for the Turbo, it was fun to have that extra omph. Thanks for the tip on build dates.
Before you decide on the SEL trim just because..... You might want to read my review of the SEL versus the Calligraphy/Limited on the following thread, post #7.

I had a 21 SEL and traded it in with only 600 miles on it on the Calligraphy. Came from an 18 Ultimate Sport and while the SEL is nice, there is a world of difference in the Turbo. By itself, the SEL is fine, but take it from someone that came from an Ultimate Sport Turbo AWD to a SEL and took in the shorts with the instant depreciation hit just to trade it in on the Calligraphy. I was going to get a Limited, but after I figured out that the Cali was only about 4-5% difference, I'm really glad I traded up. HUD paid the difference itself, it's a completely different world in driving.

Again, take a look at post #7.

Reactions: njerald

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I hear you on that. Im coming from the 2.4 NA engine now in the 2014. Ive driven both the 2.5 and 2.5T. While yes its a night and day difference off the line and getting up to speed quick, I didnt feel that the 2.5NA was horrible or dangerous. I did not drive them back to back on the same day. But on both instances, I came from the old 2.4. Shoot, I had the a 2013 mazda cx5 with the original 2.0 litre engine with 4 adult in the car total on a long 5 hour trip with a bit of luggage and went along without issue. All the people that complain, I honestly think have a heavy foot and want that instant gratification. Ive been driving for over 25 years, and I have never once gotten a ticket for speeding.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I’ve got a 2021 2.5T with just under 4k miles on it, and the oil level doesn’t move at all.

The same could not be said for the 2019 I had before this, which suffered from oil dilution due to the direct-injection only fuel injectors (The new 2.5 engines have both port and direct injection, and use them differently at specific times).

Because of how new the engines are, there’s no long-term data available from owners seeing how they do regarding burnin oil at higher mileage, but at least I don’t have gasoline diluting the engine oil like what is present on the 2.0T Theta II engines of the past.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Fe Calligraphy 2.5T
463 Posts
I too have the 2.5t with the DCT and find it to be a major improvement over my 2019 Santa Fe. One of the key engine changes is the use of multipoint fuel injection (MPI) in combination with GDI. It should reduce the carbon buildup, oil dilution, and oil consumption common with GDI only engines.

I’ve read the threads regarding the DCT slow leaks causing failures but otherwise it’s a great combination with the extra power of the 2.5t. Your test drives may not have been smooth as they could be, especially if you’re used to driving a torque converter automatic transmission, but once you learn how the DCT drives it’s really smooth and efficient.

I’m averaging between 23 and 25 mpg in various highway drives including mountains of western Maryland and West Virginia. So even MPG improves with the new engines.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.4 L
173 Posts
Any motor by any manufacturer can burn oil. It's the luck of the draw.
I would think this motor has bad ones and good ones like all motors. I bought our 19 SF 2.4L to stay away from turbos after an oil diluting 19 CRV Honda turbo. The SF doesn't burn oil and we don't have a problem with the 2.4L as far as power. Our SF lives in the mountains.
Comes down to personal choice and if you get a bad one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I too have the 2.5t with the DCT and find it to be a major improvement over my 2019 Santa Fe. One of the key engine changes is the use of multipoint fuel injection (MPI) in combination with GDI. It should reduce the carbon buildup, oil dilution, and oil consumption common with GDI only engines.

I’ve read the threads regarding the DCT slow leaks causing failures but otherwise it’s a great combination with the extra power of the 2.5t. Your test drives may not have been smooth as they could be, especially if you’re used to driving a torture converter automatic transmission, but once you learn how the DCT drives it’s really smooth and efficient.

I’m averaging between 23 and 25 mpg in various highway drives including mountains of western Maryland and West Virginia. So even MPG improves with the new engines.
25MPG is pretty good! I want to get it. but Im keeping this next car for at least 10 years or at least thats the hope, hence why Im leaning more towards the NA / 8spd.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any motor by any manufacturer can burn oil. It's the luck of the draw.
I would think this motor has bad ones and good ones like all motors. I bought our 19 SF 2.4L to stay away from turbos after an oil diluting 19 CRV Honda turbo. The SF doesn't burn oil and we don't have a problem with the 2.4L as far as power. Our SF lives in the mountains.
Comes down to personal choice and if you get a bad one.
agreed. My 2.4 has been decent to us. Im a cruiser not a speed demon, so I think Ive made my mind to ge the 2.5NA. Can get a really good deal on a dealer shuttle right now, so I save on freight and PDI. Witht he savings Im goning to get after market leather installed as thats the only thing Id like to keep, however the cloth is actually fairly nice in these newer models.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm leaning towards no. I had a 13 Sonata. Oil would turn black pretty quick. The Smartstream engine, oil looks pretty clear which is weird to me since I've been used to seeing it dirty.

Should elaborate more.

My Sonata, I would need to fill a qt every 3k miles or so.

When I checked my SF, it was 3.5k mi. Clean oil, and the level was still full.

I have almost 4k on mine now. Got an oil change here recently.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.4 L
173 Posts
Our turbo Honda motor oil was black by 700 miles. Normal they say.

·
Registered
2021 Santa Fe: Preferred w/Trend CDN
5 Posts
'21 preffered/trend with 21k kms on it. Had one issue with it using 1/2qt of oil around the 7k km mark, but since then no oil consumption to be seen and no other issues besides dealer service and initial body and trim quality issues.

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4L AWD
83 Posts
agreed. My 2.4 has been decent to us. Im a cruiser not a speed demon, so I think Ive made my mind to ge the 2.5NA. Can get a really good deal on a dealer shuttle right now, so I save on freight and PDI. Witht he savings Im goning to get after market leather installed as thats the only thing Id like to keep, however the cloth is actually fairly nice in these newer models.
I know you are looking at the new 2022 Santa Fe's but just wanted to let you know that I have a 2019 model and so far so good. I do not feel it is underpowered at all and I was coming from a zippy smooth as butter V6. In addition, the gas mileage can not be beat. I routinely get over 30 MPG on the highway for this AWD vehicle and it was rated at only 27 mpg for highway. Overall since purchase and over ~15,000 miles, I have averaged 26.45 MPG in combined city/highway driving. Which I think is excellent. And with gas prices going crazy now, and expect them to in the future, I am pleased with my NA purchase.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
1,544 Posts
My 2.0T consistently getting 26mpg in mixed driving during the 3 seasons.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Smartstream 2.5L Turbo GDI + MPI DOHC 16-valve Inline 4-cylinder. Since it's both MPI& GDI, the intake valves won't have the carbon build-up that a strictly GDI engine has.
Will use MPI at low rpm, combination of MPI & GDI at mid and at GDI at high rpms.

·
Registered
766 Posts

Smartstream 2.5L Turbo GDI + MPI DOHC 16-valve Inline 4-cylinder. Since it's both MPI& GDI, the intake valves won't have the carbon build-up that a strictly GDI engine has.
Will use MPI at low rpm, combination of MPI & GDI at mid and at GDI at high rpms.
Sorry, but where do you see MPI in the referenced article?? The 2.5T uses two GDI injectors. One at the top of the cylinder between the valves and one on the side of the actual cylinder. The ECU decides which injector to use depending on the engine timing and load. There is no injector in the air intake and therefore carbon buildup is a concern.

There are about 30 articles, including 4 from Hyundai engineering that specifically show diagrams and nice pictures of exactly where the injectors are.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T Awd
1,158 Posts
Sorry, but where do you see MPI in the referenced article?? The 2.5T uses two GDI injectors. One at the top of the cylinder between the valves and one on the side of the actual cylinder. The ECU decides which injector to use depending on the engine timing and load. There is no injector in the air intake and therefore carbon buildup is a concern.

There are about 30 articles, including 4 from Hyundai engineering that specifically show diagrams and nice pictures of exactly where the injectors are.

Dual fuel injection: 1 at port and 1 directly in the cylinder.
Smartstream - Hyundai Motor Group TECH

·
Registered
766 Posts
Reactions: njerald
1 - 20 of 28 Posts