Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to vent a bit about the issues I'm having with my brand new 2022 Hyundai Tuscon. After purchasing the car at the dealership I sat in the parking lot with the salesman to setup apple carplay. It worked for a few minutes wirelessly and then didn't work again until we left the dealership. The salesman went back and forth with a technical person at the dealership and advised that I need to go to an apple store and downgrade to iOS 13.7 which is impossible.
Against my better judgement I left the dealership and it worked on and off for a few days. Ive tried all the troubleshooting steps to no avail.
  • Unpairing all devices in CarPlay
  • Unpairing all devices on the Tuscon car software.
  • Repairing all devices
  • Turning off low data mode on the wireless connection
This is a nightmare at best and at worst a safety hazard when driving to unfamiliar locations. I cant believe there are tons of people having this issue with a new car and Hyundai hasn't released any information.

Has anyone found a fix to this? For reference Im on an iPhone 8 plus - iOS version 14.6

Here is the firmware version of the vehicle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sad to say I’ve also not found any fixes. 2022 Hybrid SEL Convenience here and running the versions shown below. I’ve not found any updates for the car and running the NAV download to USB it says there is nothing to update, so I assume it‘s the same version I’m already running.

We went to a location yesterday and no problems on the way down. All the way back Carplay was on and off every three minutes. Horrible. Even turning off and on the car didn’t work. Removing and repairing the device after getting home didn't either. Couldn‘t even get it to connect anymore. IPhone (XR 14.6) was rebooted several times and no help.

I’ve also tried turning off WiFI Ask To Join in case that was throwing off the wireless Carplay since it uses WiFi. No help either. It really seems to be a radio issue that we need to wait for a firmware to address.

Does anyone actually have this working well on an iPhone?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Do you have to use Wireless? Stinks if so. I've gone thousands of miles wired without a single major issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have to use Wireless? Stinks if so. I've gone thousands of miles wired without a single major issue.
You unfortunately DO have to use wireless which makes NO sense since the car has a USB data port. Awful awful awful, really has soured the new car feeling for me in an otherwise great vehicle. I went 3ish years in my 2018 Tuscon without a single issue wired in and have had nothing but issues in the few days that I have owned my 2022 Model.

If anyone has any fixes for these issue it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I suspect wireless Apple Carplay was working on the new Tucson but when ios v14.6 was released in May it broke Carplay. Good possibility Apple will need to provide a patch...

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL Preferred FWD - Quartz White - Gray
28 Posts
Our 2022 Tucson SEL has the following software:
Model NX4N20S.DVAMC.F1US
SW Ver. NX4.USA.D2V.001.004.210224
Firmware Ver. NX4.USA.V170.201218

We have two iPhone 12 Pro's with iOS 14.6 and Wireless CarPlay is working without any issues. It does sound like you have tried everything that I would have suggested, deleting from Tucson's Bluetooth, forgetting from Apple's Bluetooth, then reestablishing new Bluetooth parings.

I will try and note all the settings and post them here in case there's something we're missing.

·
Registered
22 Tuscan SEL ;21 Sonata N Line
357 Posts
Everyone I use the phone as in let's say open the camera app to take a pic , I get a message on the Hyundai display that apple car play disconnected , until I close the camera app then it reconnects. Is this normal behavior?

·
Registered
‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T; ‘22 Tucson Limited 2.5
2,331 Posts
A quick Google of “iOS 14.6 carplay” indicates that Apple seems to be to blame, not Hyundai.

Tucson is still spelled TUCSON, like the city in AZ.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My first complaint to the salesman was the lack of a wired connection. I never use wifi or bluetooth with my phone, so I hate having to enable each time I get into the car. The android side of this system can be used with a wire or wireless, but not apple.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just wanted to provide a quick update on this.

I uninstalled apple maps, and google maps and started using waze, which seemed to initially resolve the issue. On a long road trip through some rural areas the entire car play system crashed half a dozen times and reconnected each time 10-15 seconds later. Less than ideal.

I updated to iOS 14.7 yesterday and it made the issue SO MUCH WORSE. I now disconnect when leaving my driveway, multiple times on a short trip.

Absolutely infuriating and the dealership cant do anything about it. I understand its an apple/hyundai issue but this is driving me nuts. Almost regretting upgrading from my 20118 Tucson.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Im having the same issues with CarPlay. Mine will even go so far as just turn the screen black and I can’t do anything with the infotainment system until a car restart. Absolutely unacceptable for a brand new car.

I’m thinking I’ll just start making appointments for it weekly until it’s fixed. This was a selling point for me on the car and my last 3 cars with it had zero problems.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tried calling Hyundai support, who referenced me to Bluelink support. The first question was if I was using Apple Carplay over a cable or not. You can imagine how the conversation went from there. Bottom line is they could not help and suggested I get a new phone or take the car to the dealership. While ridiculous, the phone switch could be a solution as its driving my SO crazy.

Also did a full factory reset on the head unit and that didn't help either.

Is anyone here experiencing the issue on an iPhone 12 or are we all in the X, XR 'ish range?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the 2022 Tucson SEL Convenience. I’m using a 12 mini and having these wireless CarPlay issues and more issues with my infotainment overall.

CarPlay doesn’t pick back up most times I get in my car, I have to go into the settings and connect to my phone. It also seems to interfere with my cell data which is annoying. I have issues with the maps not loading (Apple and Waze) or the maps not recognizing where I am when I get started.

I’ve had the screen go black while still playing music. Sometimes volume controls don’t respond at all, sometimes they appear to respond (the bar shows movement) but nothing happens. Sometimes my CarPlay audio doesn’t work at all.

My USB media port will not work with my iPod, which is an iPod touch that I’ve put in airplane mode hoping the car won’t try and recognize as anything other than an MP3 player.

Given the multitude of my issues I think I actually have a bad head unit that needs to be replaced, but now I’m fighting with the system trying to get the dealership to prove it and warranty it and provide me with a loaner while they commandeer my car for a couple of days for their testing.

Tried calling Hyundai support, who referenced me to Bluelink support. The first question was if I was using Apple Carplay over a cable or not. You can imagine how the conversation went from there. Bottom line is they could not help and suggested I get a new phone or take the car to the dealership. While ridiculous, the phone switch could be a solution as its driving my SO crazy.

Is anyone here experiencing the issue on an iPhone 12 or are we all in the X, XR 'ish range?

·
Registered
14 Posts

There is a small pin reset button on the head unit. In my SEL, it’s near the bottom left corner of the screen. Push that with a pin when Carplay starts to act up and it should reboot the infotainment screen. This is the only way to actually get the system to reboot on command, the only other option is shutting off the vehicle for an inconvenient period of time. iPhone 12, iOS 14.7

·
Registered
14 Posts
There is a small pin reset button on the head unit. In my SEL, it’s near the bottom left corner of the screen. Push that with a pin when Carplay starts to act up and it should reboot the infotainment screen. This is the only way to actually get the system to reboot on command, the only other option is shutting off the vehicle for an inconvenient period of time. iPhone 12, iOS 14.7
I believe the carplay issues are caused by rf interference. This throws off the sync between your phone and the head unit. Apple/Hyundai haven’t engineered a way to re-establish the sync once this happens. This is why a hard reboot is necessary. You’ll know it rebooted when you see the hyundai logo on the screen followed by the prompt screen to confirm the terms of service.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I believe the carplay issues are caused by rf interference. This throws off the sync between your phone and the head unit. Apple/Hyundai haven’t engineered a way to re-establish the sync once this happens. This is why a hard reboot is necessary. You’ll know it rebooted when you see the hyundai logo on the screen followed by the prompt screen to confirm the terms of service.
It is an RF issue along with the connectivity. There are certain spots within my commute where I know for a fact that the apple car play will cease to work. It happens every time, but the reconnection after passing these points is hardly ever.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is an RF issue along with the connectivity. There are certain spots within my commute where I know for a fact that the apple car play will cease to work. It happens every time, but the reconnection after passing these points is hardly ever.
I’m having the exact same issue. Drops in the same places everyday and doesn’t pick back up again til I hit my driveway which is about 3-5 miles from where it starts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Interesting. My wife has this issue intermittently with her phone as she’s the primary driver. With my phone it’s fine when I drive her car every time. We both have iPhone 12s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 88 Posts