Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, just joined to get some opinions on what is going on here and if this is normal.

Like the title says, intermittently when taking off from 1st gear, there is a loud humming noise that goes away after a few seconds. The more I drive the car, the more common and louder it seems to get. Almost sounds like when you leave the e-break on and try to drive. Being as I have owned a few manual transmission cars in the past, it didn't sound normal to me, so I took it into the dealership to see what they could find.

Well, after about a week of having the car, due to holidays and having to contact Hyundai support, they came back to me and said this is normal behavior. Their explanation to me was that because this is a N-Line, it is a higher performance transmission which is not supposed to be in 1st gear for long, just to get the car moving then switch to 2nd. He also said the humming noise is because the 1st gear is so small that when it spins it makes the humming noise, and it gets more common the more you drive because it gets hotter and metal expands.

Tbh, I dont really buy this explanation. 99% of the time I shift out of first on or below 3k rpm, so its not like I am redlining in 1st or anything, causing stress on the gear lol. I want to take it to a second dealer for another opinion, but afraid they will come back with the same thing.

Does anyone else out there have a 2022 Elantra N-Line M/T? Can you confirm or deny this intermittent noise when in first gear?

Once I get the car back, I can try to get video of this noise...just hard to get video while driving lol

Thanks Everyone!

·
Registered
2021 Elantra N-Line
44 Posts
FWIW, I don't have any humming in first gear. Definitely have a syncro whine in reverse, but haven't noticed anything in first. I'll listen closely next time I take her out.

·
Registered
2021 Elantra N Line | 6MT | Phantom Black
201 Posts
What I referring to as "normal" is when you leave the gear in either 1st or 2nd, while coasting (not pressing on the gas pedal), is the humming noise. Not sure that humming noise is constant while shifting gears? If so, I have not noticed that in my N-Line.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What I referring to as "normal" is when you leave the gear in either 1st or 2nd, while coasting (not pressing on the gas pedal), is the humming noise. Not sure that humming noise is constant while shifting gears? If so, I have not noticed that in my N-Line.
Oh yea no, this is when taking off from first.

Here is a video...might have to turn it up.

·
Registered
201 Posts

Thanks for sharing the video. (Apologies as I mis-understood your original post.) Based on the video, it sounds like the emergency brake is still engaged or you have a stuck brake caliper? The initial acceleration noise is NOT NORMAL. I definitely don't have that noise in my N-Line.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for sharing the video. (Apologies as I mis-understood your original post.) Based on the video, it sounds like the emergency brake is still engaged or you have a stuck brake caliper? The initial acceleration noise is NOT NORMAL. I definitely don't have that noise in my N-Line.
No worries, thanks for confirming. E-brake is not engaged, and I'm not sure about the caliper. It goes away after a few seconds...like when I get going, and doesnt happen all the time, its intermittent, but seems like it happens more often the more I drive. Could be the caliper sticking, but I would rather have the dealer replace it.

Still not sure why my dealership told me this was normal. I'm going to make an appointment for a different dealership and see what they come back with.

·
Registered
201 Posts
No worries, thanks for confirming. E-brake is not engaged, and I'm not sure about the caliper. It goes away after a few seconds...like when I get going, and doesnt happen all the time, its intermittent, but seems like it happens more often the more I drive. Could be the caliper sticking, but I would rather have the dealer replace it.

Still not sure why my dealership told me this was normal. I'm going to make an appointment for a different dealership and see what they come back with.
That noise is definitely not NORMAL. I played your video a few times and my guess would be brake caliper or warped rotor? Do you hear it at certain speeds or just at launch?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thx. Its def noticeable...like hear it when the radio is on. Here is a quick video I took today

He

Hello, I have 400 miles on my 2022 Elantra N Line M/T and i have been getting those noises. I think we have a caliper that is hanging up possibly? It is really loud on mine lately. Its not constant but it does do it when taking off from a stop or slow roll after brakes applied. It also does it after being parked when E-Brake was engaged. Its close to the noise when you step on brakes after going through an auto wash and they are soaked with maybe some soap residue on them still. Im going to give it a couple hundred miles to see if it is just rotors and pads braking in still but i think a caliper is hanging up myself. Maybe the E-Bbrake cable tension is too tight,,ñ? Have to see if a TSB comes out on this. I will keep you up to date on what the fix is or will be.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He

Hello, I have 400 miles on my 2022 Elantra N Line M/T and i have been getting those noises. I think we have a caliper that is hanging up possibly? It is really loud on mine lately. Its not constant but it does do it when taking off from a stop or slow roll after brakes applied. It also does it after being parked when E-Brake was engaged. Its close to the noise when you step on brakes after going through an auto wash and they are soaked with maybe some soap residue on them still. Im going to give it a couple hundred miles to see if it is just rotors and pads braking in still but i think a caliper is hanging up myself. Maybe the E-Bbrake cable tension is too tight,,ñ? Have to see if a TSB comes out on this. I will keep you up to date on what the fix is or will be.
So I hope you are not in Arizona, and wherever you are have better dealerships than me haha. I have taken my car to 4 different dealerships and all have told me different things on why they cannot fix it or why it is 'normal'. The last dealer told me about a TSB for a 'groaning noise' from the brakes and attested it to that...but when I got home I realized the one they referenced was for the Elantra N, not the N Line. iirc the N and N Line have different brakes, so this TSB is irrelevant to our issue. Also the TSB referenced 'Groan Noise When Slowly Releasing The Brake Pedal After Stopping' so doesn't describe the issue we are experiencing. TSB is 21-BR-005H if you want to see it. The tech said he inspected all the brakes, measured them and confirmed everything looked good.

I ended up opening a case with Hyundai about this. They assigned it to their National Office on the 14th but have not heard from the case manager yet.

If they cant help me, I will probably end up trading it in. Mine has 1800 miles, and this noise has been happening for like 4-5 months now. It's pretty annoying, especially when I am in a drive thru or have someone else in my car. My girlfriend complains non-stop about it when she is in my car haha.

Anyways, good luck if you are going to have it looked into. If you find the issue and get it fixed, please let me know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello, Any updates on that rear brake noise? Mine is way worse now at 1100 miles. Super loud when i barely stepping on brake going through a drive through also. Its pretty embarising on a new car with paper plates still. I guess off to the dealer to start the pain process. I only have 2 Hyundai dealers within 100 miles or more so could be a issue if they wont fix it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello, Any updates on that rear brake noise? Mine is way worse now at 1100 miles. Super loud when i barely stepping on brake going through a drive through also. Its pretty embarising on a new car with paper plates still. I guess off to the dealer to start the pain process. I only have 2 Hyundai dealers within 100 miles or more so could be a issue if they wont fix it.
Yes, actually haha. I meant to reply back to this submission yesterday. Long story short, I opened a case with Hyundai to do a buy back because I couldn't take it anymore and no dealer was willing to fix it. A part of their buy back is getting a master tech out there to look at the car, so Hyundai set up an appointment at my local dealer. Took it in on Monday, and got the car back Wednesday with the fix. They were able to replicate the issue and had to replace both rear brake calipers. Feels so much better now without that noise.

Yes, take it in and hopefully you get quicker results than me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, actually haha. I meant to reply back to this submission yesterday. Long story short, I opened a case with Hyundai to do a buy back because I couldn't take it anymore and no dealer was willing to fix it. A part of their buy back is getting a master tech out there to look at the car, so Hyundai set up an appointment at my local dealer. Took it in on Monday, and got the car back Wednesday with the fix. They were able to replicate the issue and had to replace both rear brake calipers. Feels so much better now without that noise.

Yes, take it in and hopefully you get quicker results than me.
Hello, Awesome news. Hyundai can be a pain to get stuff fixed. I will set up appointment to have mine replaced but im sure it will take the normal 3 trips to dealership and months before its fixed. Im going to call hyundai customer service to see if there is TSB now or possible recall on them. Thanks for update.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello, Any way i could get the name of the dealer that fixed your car so i can give it to the service dept at Lithia Hyundai here in Reno? Would you be able to give me the last 8 of Vin to give them to show who the Master Technician was that diagnosed it? Would help a bunch since you went through **** trying to fix it. My email is [email protected] if your ok with giving me that info? Thanks again. Rob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hello, Any way i could get the name of the dealer that fixed your car so i can give it to the service dept at Lithia Hyundai here in Reno? Would you be able to give me the last 8 of Vin to give them to show who the Master Technician was that diagnosed it? Would help a bunch since you went through **** trying to fix it. My email is [email protected] if your ok with giving me that info? Thanks again. Rob
Sure thing, Ill send it over shortly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts