Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This next generation Sportage is the sister car to the new Tucson and be built on the same platform with the same powertrains. Like the Tucson, it will have long and short wheelbase versions. I am not sure which one will be coming to the US. Supposedly, the Sportage will begin worldwide sales (excluding NA) in July of this year as a 2022 model and in July of 2022 in NA as a 2023 model. Release date will probably depend on semiconductor availability. June 8 is supposedly the reveal date.

·
Registered
331 Posts
From what I've seen in the teasers, and based on the feature set of the previous generation Sportage, this would very likely take me out of the running for consideration to buy a Tucson. Historically, what's kept me away from Kia is the vehicle interior/exterior designs which I've never liked. From what I've seen of the renders of the new Sportage that appears to have changed in a big way.

·
Registered
‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T; ‘22 Tucson Limited 2.5
2,027 Posts
From what I've seen in the teasers, and based on the feature set of the previous generation Sportage, this would very likely take me out of the running for consideration to buy a Tucson. Historically, what's kept me away from Kia is the vehicle interior/exterior designs which I've never liked. From what I've seen of the renders of the new Sportage that appears to have changed in a big way.
That’s fine, but it won’t be out till next year.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To my eyes the new Kias look much better than the equivalent Hyundais. Even Kia's new logo is prettier than Hyundai's. The Sportage will draw away sales from the Tucson and I think it will come down to styling mostly. Kia also has an opportunity to correct some of the shortcomings in the Tucson; namely lack of a dedicated EV mode and better instrumentation. It is a whole year away from NA introduction, though.

·
Registered
147 Posts
To my eyes the new Kias look much better than the equivalent Hyundais. Even Kia's new logo is prettier than Hyundai's. The Sportage will draw away sales from the Tucson and I think it will come down to styling mostly. Kia also has an opportunity to correct some of the shortcomings in the Tucson; namely lack of a dedicated EV mode and better instrumentation. It is a whole year away from NA introduction, though.
The Tucson PHEV has a dedicated EV mode. Im more interested to see if they make a 2.5T version, made in the US.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Is it just me or does it look like the design philosophies have flipped? i.e. Hyundai used to be more conservative and Kia used to be more "edgy" but now it looks like it's Kia and Hyundai have traded places.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I agree that generally the Kia models look better than their Hyundai counterparts (biggest example is Telluride vs Palisade - one is beautiful the other is FUGLY).

The Tucson is OK in my eyes. Personally it looks best in white and I'm sure the new Sportage will look better.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I agree that generally the Kia models look better than their Hyundai counterparts (biggest example is Telluride vs Palisade - one is beautiful the other is FUGLY).

The Tucson is OK in my eyes. Personally it looks best in white and I'm sure the new Sportage will look better.
The new Sportage is a really nice design and in my opinion has a way better look to the interior than the new Tucscon.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As I write there is no utube video of the actual reveal for the Sportage but you can see photos now. It looks great--inside and out! Car&Driver has some nice shots of it. Kia continues to be on a roll with its new cars. The Telluride, Carnival, and now Sportage are hits.

·
Registered
181 Posts
As I write there is no utube video of the actual reveal for the Sportage but you can see photos now. It looks great--inside and out! Car&Driver has some nice shots of it. Kia continues to be on a roll with its new cars. The Telluride, Carnival, and now Sportage are hits.
Yeah, just saw the photos.

It looks good and honestly better looking than the Tucson. But it is at least a year out from US market.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Probably going to get flamed here but I was ready, set and able to buy a 2022 Tucson Limited Hybrid but after I saw the newly designed Sportage, I think I'm going to wait until they come out to make my final decision. I have a $900 Hyundia Gift Card from the DCT settlement but that doesn't expire until 2022, so I'll drive my '16 Tucson awhile longer....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you have the luxury to wait, that would be the thing to do. I think both cars look good and it would come down to trim details that we won't know for a year at least. The Sportage is too far out for me.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Probably going to get flamed here but I was ready, set and able to buy a 2022 Tucson Limited Hybrid but after I saw the newly designed Sportage, I think I'm going to wait until they come out to make my final decision. I have a $900 Hyundia Gift Card from the DCT settlement but that doesn't expire until 2022, so I'll drive my '16 Tucson awhile longer....
If you have the luxury to wait, that would be the thing to do. I think both cars look good and it would come down to trim details that we won't know for a year at least. The Sportage is too far out for me.
Agreed on both points. To me the Sportage does look better but I had a trade-in that was over valued so better to trade-in now than wait potentially another year.

I still don't regret my purchase of the Tucson but I can see some people holding off for the Sportage.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Agreed on both points. To me the Sportage does look better but I had a trade-in that was over valued so better to trade-in now than wait potentially another year.

I still don't regret my purchase of the Tucson but I can see some people holding off for the Sportage.
It'll also have ownership time in Europe and Asia for them to work out any Gen1 bugs that invariably crop up before the NA release. The new Tucson is already having issues in Australia, apparently: 2022 Hyundai Tucson: 1.6-litre turbo petrol order books closed due to transmission fault – UPDATE | CarAdvice

·
Registered
2021 Sonata N-line, 2022 Tucson Hybrid Limited
71 Posts
It'll also have ownership time in Europe and Asia for them to work out any Gen1 bugs that invariably crop up before the NA release. The new Tucson is already having issues in Australia, apparently: 2022 Hyundai Tucson: 1.6-litre turbo petrol order books closed due to transmission fault – UPDATE | CarAdvice
Thankfully it appears the transmission they are having problems with is their 7 speed dry dual clutch which isn't even sold in the U.S., at least in the Tucson.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Thankfully it appears the transmission they are having problems with is their 7 speed dry dual clutch which isn't even sold in the U.S., at least in the Tucson.
Agreed. But my point is v1 of new vehicles are generally notorious for problems like this rearing their heads within the first 6 months after release. By the time the new Sportage hits the NA market it should be well beyond that phase.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sorry but to me the Sportage front end reminds me of a Fiat 500 which looks like a clown car. Except for the seats the interior looks dated. I'd still go for the Tuscon in the looks dept.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts