Hyundai Forums banner
101 - 120 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sonata 2.0t Ltd & 2020 Palisade Ltd
1,246 Posts
Yes, the 8” has wireless CarPlay while 10.25” in the top trim has wired. A software update won’t change it to wireless though as the hardware doesn’t support it
That’s not necessarily true. Those who have accessed the engineering mode reported seeing a wifi modem that’s not currently used for anything. Wireless CarPlay/AA requires wifi to work, so the presence of this modem might allow it to work on the nav units. No guarantee, of course.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That’s not necessarily true. Those who have accessed the engineering mode reported seeing a wifi modem that’s not currently used for anything. Wireless CarPlay/AA requires wifi to work, so the presence of this modem might allow it to work on the nav units. No guarantee, of course.
Hmm I heard on a forum that it was due to a hardware limitation. Either way, the wired solution is the best for now. I updated my software a couple of days ago and got the “phone disconnected” error again. It happened once, so it’s not as frequent as before, but clearly still is an issue

·
Registered
17 Posts
To all my Canadian Sonata peeps, I have some good news! I just installed the new update in my car, and I drove around for about 20 minutes and didn’t have a single drop.
That being said, you will not find the update on Hyundai Canada’s page. It has the be from the US site. The firmware name will have ‘USA’ in it, but you can install it in your Canadian car without issue. When you install the software, the new firmware will appear with ‘CAN’ instead of ‘USA’. Also the website does not list any of the 2021 models as eligible updates, but the update will work in 2021 models too.

Check out the link and follow the steps. You don’t need to go to dealer if you just copy the zip file on to a USB.
I updated mine as well, and it is a lot better. Prior to the update I always noticed a skip in the bluetooth audio when the disconnection happens. After the update I still get these skips in the audio. When I have a lot of the skips occurring in a short period of time my CarPlay will disconnect. The CarPlay will recover from the disconnect but it takes about 30 seconds to 60 seconds before it connects again. Before the update I could reconnect CarPlay immediately by acknowledging the error on the display and clicking CarPlay or pressing the NAV button overhead. The update has made everything a lot better. Before the update I would get 10-20 disconnects on my way to work now I am getting 1-2, and I have been getting these on my way home in the afternoon. In the morning I haven’t noticed any issues.

Just thought I would share my experience with this update. I am curious if anyone else has noticed this or if it is just me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I updated mine as well, and it is a lot better. Prior to the update I always noticed a skip in the bluetooth audio when the disconnection happens. After the update I still get these skips in the audio. When I have a lot of the skips occurring in a short period of time my CarPlay will disconnect. The CarPlay will recover from the disconnect but it takes about 30 seconds to 60 seconds before it connects again. Before the update I could reconnect CarPlay immediately by acknowledging the error on the display and clicking CarPlay or pressing the NAV button overhead. The update has made everything a lot better. Before the update I would get 10-20 disconnects on my way to work now I am getting 1-2, and I have been getting these on my way home in the afternoon. In the morning I haven’t noticed any issues.

Just thought I would share my experience with this update. I am curious if anyone else has noticed this or if it is just me.
I had it drop out once on me since the update. I too had the audio stutter issues as well. I saw a post on another forum that suggested to reset apple CarPlay by forgetting your device and setting it up as a new one. I did so, and haven’t had a single drop or audio stutter since! Hopefully it will work for you too.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Been a week since I updated mine and I haven't experienced a single drop or audio stutter issues thus far. Prior to the update, it would drop every 8-10 mins.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Installed the update on my 2021 Sonata and seems to be working well so far, no dropouts, though I haven't driven very much since the update just yet. If there is a further update released that addresses the minor issues people are still experiencing then please post it on here so we are all aware. Appreciate the help!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Picked up my 2021 Sonata SEL 2 weeks ago,salesman says they have to do a software update on it before I drive it off the lot,I was like sure go ahead(I wasn’t told what the update was for)So I’m driving it home and car play is screwing up bad,I call the salesman and he was like **** that’s what the update was supposed to fix.
It’s bad enough the skipping of the music and it just quiting,but the worst thing(which I haven’t seen anybody mention)is being on a phone call and it will go out, and you can’t hear anything the other person saying but if you hold on long enough it will come back in 30 seconds or so and then start doing the same thing again,this sucks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone know if these issues are also problems on 2020 Sonatas? I got a new one in December and CarPlay was working just fine up until today and I’ve tried just about everything as far as obvious answers. My phone still connects to Bluetooth but there’s no way of opening CarPlay from the screen. When I click the home icon and go to network devices CarPlay is there but our grayed out and won’t let you press it. Total PITA bc I have to drive south this weekend and hate fact my new car won’t have google maps or Spotify etc. Talk about a letdown.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Been a week since I updated mine and I haven't experienced a single drop or audio stutter issues thus far. Prior to the update, it would drop every 8-10 mins.
Can anyone help me out on what this update some people fixed their CarPlay problems with is? I’m guessing that’s what I need to fix mine (2020 Sonata) but can’t figure out how to go about figuring that out. Thanks!

·
Registered
2012 Sonata 2.0t Ltd & 2020 Palisade Ltd
1,246 Posts
Can anyone help me out on what this update some people fixed their CarPlay problems with is? I’m guessing that’s what I need to fix mine (2020 Sonata) but can’t figure out how to go about figuring that out. Thanks!
Assuming you have the infotainment system without built-in navigation. If so, please see this thread:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Recently got a 2021 Hyundai Sonata SE, just the base model. I’m having a lot of trouble/glitches with CarPlay. It’ll say phone is not responding and the screen will go black. Music/maps will stop and I have to reconnect. Also CarPlay only connects over Bluetooth and not the USB. I’ve tried the whole delete/reconnect etc.
Not sure if this is my car or Apple issue but I’ve been talking to Apple support trying to fix the problem on that end too, wanted to see if anybody else was having issues with CarPlay or potential solutions
Thanks!
I just got the 2021 Sonata SE and I can confirm wireless CarPlay. I’ve used it for a few days no issues. I tried using it yesterday and now it won’t turn on, even showed my salesman and he even couldn’t get it to work when he was the one who showed me in the first place/ I’ve tried everything reset everything on phone car and use different cables for usb. It does not work anymore just got the car not even a week ago. They said it’s under warranty and will fix it to work and update the software in the car as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got the 2021 Sonata SE and I can confirm wireless CarPlay. I’ve used it for a few days no issues. I tried using it yesterday and now it won’t turn on, even showed my salesman and he even couldn’t get it to work when he was the one who showed me in the first place/ I’ve tried everything reset everything on phone car and use different cables for usb. It does not work anymore just got the car not even a week ago. They said it’s under warranty and will fix it to work and update the software in the car as well.
Help I am having the same problem with my 2021 sonata SEL I just picked up today iPhone iPhone kept disconnecting sometimes every three seconds sometimes it will last for 10 minutes I’m not sure why it did seem worse when I was trying to use the map to get to a destination I was not familiar with which was very distracting driving a new car and dealing with!! I’ve been reading these boards but I have no idea how to do an update myself I sure hope when I called the dealer tomorrow they can help me!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Recently got a 2021 Hyundai Sonata SE, just the base model. I’m having a lot of trouble/glitches with CarPlay. It’ll say phone is not responding and the screen will go black. Music/maps will stop and I have to reconnect. Also CarPlay only connects over Bluetooth and not the USB. I’ve tried the whole delete/reconnect etc.
Not sure if this is my car or Apple issue but I’ve been talking to Apple support trying to fix the problem on that end too, wanted to see if anybody else was having issues with CarPlay or potential solutions
Thanks!
Did you ever find a solution for this error ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have this issue and was told that they have never heard of anyone else having this problem, which is a blatant lie, brought the car in 3x and have a case opened with Corp. Car is a 2021 Sonata that I picked up a few months ago and have had the problem since. Living in Florida I am wondering if the lemon law would allow me to return. I am going to contact a lawyer and ask about a class action suit against Hyundai for knowingly selling defect cars which could pose a hazard for the drivers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I also have this issue and was told that they have never heard of anyone else having this problem, which is a blatant lie, brought the car in 3x and have a case opened with Corp. Car is a 2021 Sonata that I picked up a few months ago and have had the problem since. Living in Florida I am wondering if the lemon law would allow me to return. I am going to contact a lawyer and ask about a class action suit against Hyundai for knowingly selling defect cars which could pose a hazard for the drivers.
Good luck,update us with results

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good luck,update us with results
I had the same problem with mine but then finding a post on Facebook regarding this issue solved my problem there is an update on Hyundai website that I downloaded to a thumb drive and plugged it in the USB in my car and updated it myself and my CarPlay works flawlessly now! The update that I use says 2020 sonata even though I have a 2021 I will try to include pictures!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same problem with mine but then finding a post on Facebook regarding this issue solved my problem there is an update on Hyundai website that I downloaded to a thumb drive and plugged it in the USB in my car and updated it myself and my CarPlay works flawlessly now! The update that I use says 2020 sonata even though I have a 2021 I will try to include pictures! View attachment 458541

101 - 120 of 149 Posts