Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently got a 2021 Hyundai Sonata SE, just the base model. I’m having a lot of trouble/glitches with CarPlay. It’ll say phone is not responding and the screen will go black. Music/maps will stop and I have to reconnect. Also CarPlay only connects over Bluetooth and not the USB. I’ve tried the whole delete/reconnect etc.
Not sure if this is my car or Apple issue but I’ve been talking to Apple support trying to fix the problem on that end too, wanted to see if anybody else was having issues with CarPlay or potential solutions
Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am currently having this issue as well. I just got a call back from my dealership and they told me to try the following
- Restart device
-Try a different device.

I'm positive none of these will work. I am also having a few issues with my 2021 sonata, every so often when turning on the car ill hear a weird noise from the right driver side vent? They just told me it was normal and its the vacuum pump.

·
Registered
2012 Sonata 2.0t Ltd & 2020 Palisade Ltd
717 Posts
Recently got a 2021 Hyundai Sonata SE, just the base model. I’m having a lot of trouble/glitches with CarPlay. It’ll say phone is not responding and the screen will go black. Music/maps will stop and I have to reconnect. Also CarPlay only connects over Bluetooth and not the USB. I’ve tried the whole delete/reconnect etc.
Not sure if this is my car or Apple issue but I’ve been talking to Apple support trying to fix the problem on that end too, wanted to see if anybody else was having issues with CarPlay or potential solutions
Thanks!
I am currently having this issue as well. I just got a call back from my dealership and they told me to try the following
- Restart device
-Try a different device.

I'm positive none of these will work. I am also having a few issues with my 2021 sonata, every so often when turning on the car ill hear a weird noise from the right driver side vent? They just told me it was normal and its the vacuum pump.
Try a different cable. CarPlay (and Android Auto) are very sensitive to the cable quality.

By the way, if you're only connecting over Bluetooth, then you're not getting CarPlay. You're only getting Bluetooth audio. CarPlay means phone projection, which requires the cable since the Sonata doesn't yet have wireless CarPlay/AA.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't believe so.
Tried a brand new Apple cable and still was finicky. But also the new Sonata does have Bluetooth CarPlay. My CarPlay connects whether it’s plugged into the USB or not. In fact it’s only connecting through Bluetooth and not through the USB at all

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
- Restart device
-Try a different device.

I’ve tried restarting my device and everything and it hasn’t worked. I’ll have to try another device tomorrow and see if it’s still glitchy like it is with my phone

·
Registered
717 Posts
Tried a brand new Apple cable and still was finicky. But also the new Sonata does have Bluetooth CarPlay. My CarPlay connects whether it’s plugged into the USB or not. In fact it’s only connecting through Bluetooth and not through the USB at all
CarPlay means phone projection. If you don’t see the CarPlay interface on your infotainment system, then you are not using CarPlay. Getting only audio through your infotainment system isn‘t CarPlay. It’s just audio over Bluetooth.

Also, while Hyundai now has some models offering wireless CarPlay, the Sonata isn’t one of them to my knowledge. And wireless CarPlay requires Bluetooth AND WiFi. Bluetooth alone doesn’t have enough bandwidth for wireless CarPlay.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CarPlay means phone projection. If you don’t see the CarPlay interface on your infotainment system, then you are not using CarPlay. Getting only audio through your infotainment system isn‘t CarPlay. It’s just audio over Bluetooth.

Also, while Hyundai now has some models offering wireless CarPlay, the Sonata isn’t one of them to my knowledge. And wireless CarPlay requires Bluetooth AND WiFi. Bluetooth alone doesn’t have enough bandwidth for wireless CarPlay.
Dude. I promise you. My phone isn’t plugged in to the USB and it’s using CarPlay. I’m literally staring at it right now. I can open maps and texts and calls and music etc. it’s not just audio.
Regardless, you’re not helping about why I posted in the first place

·
Registered
13 Posts
From what I have learned so far, the 21MY Sonatas did not initially have wireless phone projection. However, I think that has changed recently and now they do.I am trying to verify that for my own information. So, let's put that discussion to bed and get bake to the OP's issue, because it is possible that there is wireless projection.

My suggestion would be to go to the dealer and have them look at it. I have heard of this issue before which, in some cases, required a head unit replacement. While at the dealer, you could try using phone projection on a different vehicle on the lot, just to verify it isn't your phone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From what I have learned so far, the 21MY Sonatas did not initially have wireless phone projection. However, I think that has changed recently and now they do.I am trying to verify that for my own information. So, let's put that discussion to bed and get bake to the OP's issue, because it is possible that there is wireless projection.

My suggestion would be to go to the dealer and have them look at it. I have heard of this issue before which, in some cases, required a head unit replacement. While at the dealer, you could try using phone projection on a different vehicle on the lot, just to verify it isn't your phone.
Was thinking about heading to a dealership but wasn’t sure if that was overreacting or something haha. I appreciate your help!

·
Registered
23 Posts
2021 sonata does have wireless apple carplay. I own one and can second that.
This gives me hope that our 2020 Sonatas might have this feature (I'm hoping we can do a software update to enable this, I've already confirmed our 2020 Sonatas do support wifi connection). Can anybody confirm if the 2021 Sonata supports Wireless AA?

·
Registered
717 Posts
This gives me hope that our 2020 Sonatas might have this feature (I'm hoping we can do a software update to enable this, I've already confirmed our 2020 Sonatas do support wifi connection). Can anybody confirm if the 2021 Sonata supports Wireless AA?
Note that they're talking about the smaller infotainment system, without navigation. That's the one that got wireless CarPlay/AA for 2021, not the larger one with nav. The larger one definitely doesn't have it for 2021, but it does appear to have WiFi hardware that's not yet used, so here's hoping.

I knew they had added it for the Palisade and Elantra for 2021 on the non-nav system. Good to know it's on the Sonata as well (non-nav). Weird that they're not really advertising it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Note that they're talking about the smaller infotainment system, without navigation. That's the one that got wireless CarPlay/AA for 2021, not the larger one with nav. The larger one definitely doesn't have it for 2021, but it does appear to have WiFi hardware that's not yet used, so here's hoping.

I knew they had added it for the Palisade and Elantra for 2021 on the non-nav system. Good to know it's on the Sonata as well (non-nav). Weird that they're not really advertising it.
I realize that. I have a 2020 SEL which also has the smaller non-nav system.

·
Premium Member
2021 Limited 1.6T, 2018 Limited 2.4L, 2015 Limited 2.4L
367 Posts
Just don't understand why they did not have android auto operating wirelessly. It can't be that hard, or maybe there are other limitations that I'm not aware of.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Its the same deal on the 2021 Elantra. The SE,SEL trim come with the 8 inch system with wireless AA, the Limited has the 10 inch system with no wireless AA. Maybe it's not a show stopper for most, but typically the Limited or higher trims have everything the lower trims have and they add more, not take away features as well as is the case here.

·
Premium Member
2021 Limited 1.6T, 2018 Limited 2.4L, 2015 Limited 2.4L
367 Posts
Yes, makes no sense whatsoever.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata SEL
500 Posts
Thanks!
Check that your phone is fully compatible. I know the Android Auto requires version 9.0 or higher.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks!
I am also having this problem on my 2021 Sonata using wireless CarPlay. For me sometimes it will stay connected for a long time, the all of a sudden it constantly disconnects. It is real easy to press ok and click Apple car play again, but it is becoming annoying. I don’t have a solution, but hopefully we will get one soon.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts