Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know they haven't been out long but I'm wondering if anyone's been driving a 2021 Santa Fe SEL(With or without the Convenience pkg) and what your thoughts are.

I'm probably going to trade in my 2018 Sonata Limited this spring. (I had to get the top of the line package with all the bells and whistles to get the navigation system and I'm not going that route again. Most of those options I don't have any need for most of those options I had to get and I'm just as well off using car play these days!)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I stopped into a dealership on 12/31 to look at an SEL with convenience package. The place was insanely busy so I didn't bother to test drive a vehicle. However they had a few SELs on the lot unlocked so I checked them out. Just a basic walk around. Definitely felt a hair larger than the previous generation. The dash layout seems to be OK. I was able to check out the wireless charger station. The bridge seems to be pretty intuative but once again I was not on a road test. The back seats were OK as well as the cargo area. I would suspect the cloth instead of leather seats would be fine.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I haven't driven one yet either. Like you, I did take a look at a couple on the lot.
My Sonata was the first car I've ever had with leather seats. They're nice my butt isn't any happier on them. :ROFLMAO: As long as they're comfortable I'm good.
I am excited about them having both wireless car play and charging. I've got the charging in my Sonata but haven't used it since day two since it needs to be plugged in for car play. I've probably worn out a half dozen iphone cables in the last couple years in the car so being able to just plop the phone into the charging place and have it connect without wires is a blessing.

The Santa Fe is definitely on my radar when. I looked at the CX5 and new Rogues also last week when I brought my mom's CX5 up to the Mazda/Nissan dealership around the corner. Those are options too. Will have to drive them all.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just some food for thought for you Greg. I'm on this board because we bought a new car for my wife about six weeks ago and one of the considerations was the Santa Fe. We looked for about 2 mos. and tested Acura RDX, Mazda CX5, Subaru Outback, Nissan Rogue, Murano, RAV4, Hyundai Tuscon and Santa Fe. On their own, each has its own merits and the perfect car would incorporate the best features of each. We were looking at the top trims of each so features and options were mostly the same. It finally came down to the ride and seat comfort. In the end we chose the Outback but the Santa Fe was a close second. If it was my car I probably would have gone w/ the Santa Fe or RDX. I would have no problem buying the Santa Fe and may in the future. I really liked the 360 * camera and blind spot monitoring split screen, also the HUD. I would give a hard look to both trim levels but if you can afford and get a good enough deal, go for the Limited 2.0 if looking at 2020 models. I'm not a fan of the 2021 but it may be just what you're looking for. Good luck and hope this gives you some confidence in your selection.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just some food for thought for you Greg. I'm on this board because we bought a new car for my wife about six weeks ago and one of the considerations was the Santa Fe. We looked for about 2 mos. and tested Acura RDX, Mazda CX5, Subaru Outback, Nissan Rogue, Murano, RAV4, Hyundai Tuscon and Santa Fe. On their own, each has its own merits and the perfect car would incorporate the best features of each. We were looking at the top trims of each so features and options were mostly the same. It finally came down to the ride and seat comfort. In the end we chose the Outback but the Santa Fe was a close second. If it was my car I probably would have gone w/ the Santa Fe or RDX. I would have no problem buying the Santa Fe and may in the future. I really liked the 360 * camera and blind spot monitoring split screen, also the HUD. I would give a hard look to both trim levels but if you can afford and get a good enough deal, go for the Limited 2.0 if looking at 2020 models. I'm not a fan of the 2021 but it may be just what you're looking for. Good luck and hope this gives you some confidence in your selection.
Hey man thanks for the input. I've been looking at so many it's hard to keep straight what they all have. I'm trying to keep it around 33k or less I think, so I'm not going to be at the top of the lin. It seems like they've all got some features I like but unless you go to the top of the line they don't have everything. And when you do go up all the way there's a lot I don't really need that I'd end up getting. For instance I really don't need a sunroof. (Or leather for that matter, really.) I really need to sit down and think about what features "would be neat" vs what I'd actually use on a regular basis.

Initially I was leaning towards a CX5. My mom's got an older one and I had a Mazda 2015 Mazda 3 that I really liked but it was just too low to the ground and small so I traded it in for my Sonata. (I love the Sonata but I'm just kind of wanting something a little higher up with AWD for when it gets snowy.) There's a lot to like about them they're sporty and fun to drive and dependable. I don't need a HUGE amount of room for hauling stuff so it'd probably be ok. I do like that you just need to buy an SD card for the maps to enable navigation and you can get them for like $75 on ebay these days. Unfortunately the rest of the infotainment system is just kind of clunky. It's one thing I don't miss from my Mazda 3. And they've done away with the satellite radio in the Touring model I was looking at this year.

I took a Rogue for a spin and I liked that they all (or most) have the 360 degree camera for parking. I won't talk about my having backed into things before. I'll just say that would be handy. But it seemed noisy and I wasn't crazy about how it drove. I scratched that quickly.

I drove Santa Fes a couple times as rentals in 2018 (or 19?) and 2020. If I end up getting one of those I'd probably lean more toward the 2021. I do like how it gets rid of the shifter and gives a bit more room. All the little storage spaces are nice too. I really don't need all that size though so I also looked at the Tucsons.

The Tucson is roughly the same size as the CX5 and that was fine for me but it didn't seem to have some of the features the Santa Fe did -- mainly the wireless car play and charging. At least not for 2021. The 2022s that are due out this spring have it, but from what I've seen the climate controls and radio on the 2022 would drive me bonkers being all touch screen.

Then I noticed the prices on the 2021 Tuscons have been cut. Looks like they're trying to move those things before the new ones come in. I can get an AWD unlimted trim for a little over $29k. It's got everything my Sonata Unlimited has and more. It's very tempting at that price. Still part of me would rather just go with the SEL Santa Fe. I know I'm going to end up driving some poor sales person insane while I go back and forth about all this stuff.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah I liked the Ultimate trim in the Tucson. We test drove a 21 and it was really nice. If size is not a thing and you have enough seat room by all means go w/ it. It's funny how Hyun. has sized its cars. The Santa Fe is a little larger than most in that class and Tucson somewhere b/w the CUVs and the RAV4 and CRV. I really like the looks and features of the Tucson. That's my vote. Good luck.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don’t cheap out on the headlights. Be sure the package you buy has the best available/highest-rated headlights.
Those LED headlights I've got on my Sonata are nice. I wouldn't go back to regular ones. Are they becoming pretty standard these days?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was looking at stuff about the upcoming 2022 Tucson too. I liked the looks of that and with the shift by wire it's got extra little space under the center console, but I hate hate hate radio and climate control setup they're showing. It can only hope it changes before going into production. Everything's touch screen and it gives me flashbacks to this Ford I had as a rental car a few years back. It looked cool but using it was another story. You had to take your eyes off the road to find the "button" you were looking for and it was a major distraction. For me physical knobs for volume, tuning, temperature, and fan controls are 100000x better.

Given the discounts on the old model I think I'd be better off with that.

·
Registered
‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T FWD (Machine Gray/Espresso Gray)
1,749 Posts
Those LED headlights I've got on my Sonata are nice. I wouldn't go back to regular ones. Are they becoming pretty standard these days?
Here’s the info for 2020. As you can see the LED (good rated) headlights are only standard on SEL Premium trim and the Limited models. Thus the lower models have inferior (Marginal) headlights. The 2021 may come with LED headlights for all models. Check the specs to investigate and let us know.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
1,038 Posts
Don’t cheap out on the headlights. Be sure the package you buy has the best available/highest-rated headlights.
Yeah, good headlight was a requirement for me since I'm not young 😔

However, NOT all LED headlights are the same. There is design effort in the optical setup and assembly beyond the light. What is the rating on the 2021?

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you like the 21 Tucson better go for it. Going forward most new cars are gonna put every control into what amounts to an Ipad on your dashboard. You may like the space but you won't like the electronic gear shifter. The upper trim level you are looking at will have the LED headlights. Go get it NOW!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you like the 21 Tucson better go for it. Going forward most new cars are gonna put every control into what amounts to an Ipad on your dashboard. You may like the space but you won't like the electronic gear shifter. The upper trim level you are looking at will have the LED headlights. Go get it NOW!
Man I hate to see them doing that. It's probably cheaper though. Hopefully it'll be short lived. Years ago when my folks were shopping for a car I remember my dad complaining about the Buicks(?) all having nothing but push buttons for the a/c. When mom needed a car a couple years later they'd gotten away from that style again.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My wife, daughter and I had a couple of minutes between a couple of social distancing activities today. We stopped into the local dealership for a test drive. We tested a 2021 SantaFe SEl with Conv and Prem packages. The vehicle handled nicely down the a few miles of highway and a few miles of back roads. The engine seemed to be smoother than the outgoing 2.4 I4. I don't know if the torque curve was different as it felt pretty good getting onto a 55+ MPH highway. I was able to get up to speed in 5 or 6 seconds. The transmission felt good. It had solid smooth shifts. I found myself playing with the paddle shifters more than once. Hint press the "D" to reengage automatic shifting. I would suspect the paddles with the 2.5T model would be just as nice and fun to drive. I played around with the drive modes. Pretty much what was expected. Sport was sportier and smart was more "smarter" LoL Comfort seemed to be a good feel as well. The road didn't seem to noisy or uncontrolable. Felt fine.

Dash layout. It's not bad but I will say it does take some getting use to. My wife liked the bridge layout for the lower storage area. She said it would be good when she doesn't want to bring her bag and just her wallet for a trip out. You can just toss it there. I found myself trying to figure out how to control the DTAC for fan speed and audio function. Unfortunately, I didn't play with the radio too much as we were driving in some heavier than normal traffic. The seats were heated only and front only. Leg room good in the front driver's and passager. Rear seat good as well. Rear cargo good storage space as well as overall floor space. The wife liked how the cargo area was laid out and how it should hold plenty of items for when we are on trips or just going to our trailer for the weekend.

The wife spent most of the drive portion in the passager seat and our child in the back. There was no complaints except I wished it had a heated seats (back people) but I was told the USB ports are nice for phones and tablets. They felt the seats were nice and comfortable.I had no problem with the driver's seat. When we were at the dealer, my wife and daughter rotated around the vehicle. My wife liked the driver's side. She said it was nicely laid out and seemed functional for the need. My daughter liked the front passager as expected.

Unfortunately, we could not spend any additional time to talk numbers but the sales rep I was speaking with said there was little in the way of any deals going on. We said that's fine. So I would wait to get a better incentive package if we were to buy. The wife did openly discuss our experience on the way home. She said it is definitely something to think about if the incentives were there to make a purchase. As we were about to pull away she did say I don't know if it would worth moving up to a limited. I said we should look at one before going but we needed to get home for the next zoom meeting.

Reactions: EV Dan

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the good write up! Sounds pretty much like what my impression was of the SEL with the Convenience package.

I didn't even bother looking at the higher trim lines. No sense in falling in love with options I'm not going to be buying. I'm going to be a little more cost conscious this time than when I went all out on my Sonata. I'm trying to focus on options that'll be useful for me rather than just neat.

The fancy stereo system with all the speakers and the subwoofer is great but 99% of the time I'm listening to either a sports radio station out of Chicago or CNN on the XM. Sometimes I'll throw on the 80's XM channel (or similar music from my phone) but I really don't need the top of the line audio setup for any of that. Likewise I really don't have much use for a sunroof. Navigation is handy but with Car Play / Android Auto not as important. When I got the Sonata I worried about being away from cell service where and not being able to have maps but I can download what I need for offline use with Google Maps.

Sounds like the Wireless Car Play & Android Auto could be important in the next couple years if they start moving way from having ports on phones and relying on wireless so I think that's a good option. I'd love to get the 360 degree parking cameras they'd be nice to have but it's not worth it for the few grand moving up to the Calligraphy trim. I can stick my head out window and see what I'm doing.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess I didn't pay attention when I looked at the one with the Convenience Package the first time. I didn't realize the climate controls in that one didn't have any knobs. Arrrrgh! I suppose I could get used to it though.

·
Registered
2021 Santa Fe Calligraphy
11 Posts
Impression after a week with a Calligraphy. Sold my daughter our 2015 and needed something. It has all the bells and whistles except I have the 19" wheels instead of the 20" ones. If you like buttons it has plenty of them, dreading the wife driving it as she is going to want to turn everything off. The interior is quite comfortable with a premium feel to it, really like the HUD and the HDA, highway drive assist. The reason I bought the vehicle is I tend to spend a lot of time on the highway and it is nice for that. Power is more than adequate, turbo lag is non existent. The DCT is pretty smooth except at really low speeds/stop and starts. Even then it's not bad it just not an auto and has a different feel to it. Interior and exterior lighting is just fine. The all glass dash and large center display all look pretty spiffy. The various aids and safety systems are a preference thing, I have no problem with the car nudging me back into a lane or telling me the car in front of me has moved on from a stop. It has a good bit of that kind of stuff and I suspect that some may not care for it but it is the way the future us headed, personally I like it. Combining the HDA with the smart cruise control is awesome until it's not. If the car get's in over it's head in a tighter turn or poor road marking situation it just gives up and you need to be ready to take over. I get that it's a camera and radar doing all this and they can be fooled by poor markings or other unexpected things. As long as the highway is not too extreme it does fine. Driving experience is light years ahead of the 2015. Interior room seems a bit roomier than the 2015. Pretty quiet and smooth with a tight feel to the suspension. It's not a total love fest though. Here are the few issues I have so far.

1. No sunglasses holder, I get that there really is no great place to put one but maybe it should have been designed so it would have room for one. I ended up buying a clip to go on the sun visor as I don't want the glasses rolling around down in the compartment below the center console/shifter. A bit unsightly in what is a pretty fancy interior.
2. The sensor on the steering wheel when using HDA constantly nags about having a hand on the wheel, even though I never let go of the wheel, I have a loose grip on it. I have to move the hand to get it to stop complaining. I have yet to find a position where I can leave my hand on it and it does not nag. Maybe a technical issue to be fixed. I am interested to see what others experience on this. This is pretty annoying.
3. Mileage is nowhere near what it is rated at. I upgraded to the turbo mostly because it is supposed to get the same mileage as the non turbo, I get to have and eat my cake except for the entry price. So far I am getting around 22 on mostly highway driving, just went through one tank. I am going to check actual consumption after the next tank to see if just needs some break in time.

Tom

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T Awd
601 Posts
Impression after a week with a Calligraphy. Sold my daughter our 2015 and needed something. It has all the bells and whistles except I have the 19" wheels instead of the 20" ones. If you like buttons it has plenty of them, dreading the wife driving it as she is going to want to turn everything off. The interior is quite comfortable with a premium feel to it, really like the HUD and the HDA, highway drive assist. The reason I bought the vehicle is I tend to spend a lot of time on the highway and it is nice for that. Power is more than adequate, turbo lag is non existent. The DCT is pretty smooth except at really low speeds/stop and starts. Even then it's not bad it just not an auto and has a different feel to it. Interior and exterior lighting is just fine. The all glass dash and large center display all look pretty spiffy. The various aids and safety systems are a preference thing, I have no problem with the car nudging me back into a lane or telling me the car in front of me has moved on from a stop. It has a good bit of that kind of stuff and I suspect that some may not care for it but it is the way the future us headed, personally I like it. Combining the HDA with the smart cruise control is awesome until it's not. If the car get's in over it's head in a tighter turn or poor road marking situation it just gives up and you need to be ready to take over. I get that it's a camera and radar doing all this and they can be fooled by poor markings or other unexpected things. As long as the highway is not too extreme it does fine. Driving experience is light years ahead of the 2015. Interior room seems a bit roomier than the 2015. Pretty quiet and smooth with a tight feel to the suspension. It's not a total love fest though. Here are the few issues I have so far.

1. No sunglasses holder, I get that there really is no great place to put one but maybe it should have been designed so it would have room for one. I ended up buying a clip to go on the sun visor as I don't want the glasses rolling around down in the compartment below the center console/shifter. A bit unsightly in what is a pretty fancy interior.
2. The sensor on the steering wheel when using HDA constantly nags about having a hand on the wheel, even though I never let go of the wheel, I have a loose grip on it. I have to move the hand to get it to stop complaining. I have yet to find a position where I can leave my hand on it and it does not nag. Maybe a technical issue to be fixed. I am interested to see what others experience on this. This is pretty annoying.
3. Mileage is nowhere near what it is rated at. I upgraded to the turbo mostly because it is supposed to get the same mileage as the non turbo, I get to have and eat my cake except for the entry price. So far I am getting around 22 on mostly highway driving, just went through one tank. I am going to check actual consumption after the next tank to see if just needs some break in time.

Tom
Wow. I didn't even notice from the pictures and videos that they got rid of the sunglasses holder.
Well...I guess they did add power folding mirrors, smaht pahk, remote start on key fob, etc...

You really aren't going to get the quoted MPG with the engine not being broken in yet. Then it will also depend on the climate where you live. I got about 17.5 mpg on my drive to the store today in Michigan.

Did Hyundai enable the ability to turn on heated seats with the Bluelink app? Also when you remote start with the key fob, does the HVAC, seat heating/cooling, and/or steering wheel heating turn on automatically?

·
Registered
2021 Santa Fe Calligraphy
11 Posts
The FOB starts climate control. The app can throw in heated steering wheel but not seats. The app is not automatic though, you have to specify settings although you can save presets. My 18 RAM truck turns on the seat heaters and wheels automatically or cools seats based on weather. The manual indicates that there is an option, if so equipped, that runs the driver seat and wheel automatically but mine does not have that option. Strange as I assumed that the calligraphy was supposed to be everything. My 16 Santa Fe regularly beat the EPA predictions if driven in non race car mode (it wasn't really capable of much). We shall see how this break in goes. I tend to live on cruise and would expect to get close to rated highway.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T Awd
601 Posts
The FOB starts climate control. The app can throw in heated steering wheel but not seats. The app is not automatic though, you have to specify settings although you can save presets. My 18 RAM truck turns on the seat heaters and wheels automatically or cools seats based on weather. The manual indicates that there is an option, if so equipped, that runs the driver seat and wheel automatically but mine does not have that option. Strange as I assumed that the calligraphy was supposed to be everything. My 16 Santa Fe regularly beat the EPA predictions if driven in non race car mode (it wasn't really capable of much). We shall see how this break in goes. I tend to live on cruise and would expect to get close to rated highway.

Yep my previous Chrysler did the same - with the fob and uConnect app. I'm a little disappointed to hear that option for seats still isn't available with Bluelink. I'm not sure why Hyundai refuses to add that functionality. Auto on comfort is the option for the seats to come on automatically. It was on the 2109, but they removed it for 2020.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts